Structural steel sections

why I-sections are commonly used.

Replies

• CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    its not that the other sections like channel section or angle section are not used. They are much less likely to bend or warp. it also has a better buckling resistance in both the x and y directions when compared to the other sections. this makes it more easy to use. but even the other sections are used by combinations. for example 2 channel sections can be placed back to back or toe to toe and bolted with the necessary arrangements.
  • ram 783
    ram 783
    i think i have found the answer of my question. the i sections are commonly use because the web of i section resists shear force and the flanges resist bending moment
  • akshay rathore
    akshay rathore
    the flenges can resist shear force and web bending moment , if external loading is about minor axis....... it's just that I-sections have high section modulus along major axis , and sufficient sec. mod. along minor axis , hence are preffered over channel, angle sections. Though tubulur sections (best for torsion) have high sec. mod. along both major and minor axis , but have lesser strength (as they are hollow) as compared to I-sections, henced are only used mainly for small loads and aesthetic purposes.
  • @n@nd
    @n@nd
    i think it also deals with wind load. the placement of i section. flange faces the wind... and gives resistance..
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    @n@nd
    i think it also deals with wind load. the placement of i section. flange faces the wind... and gives resistance..
    Hi,
    I list out some of the reasons.
    1. In "I" sections we can connect the beam from 4 sides.
    2. If the connection is fixed, mostly probably we connect the beam in flange side.
    3. From the least least length and thickness, we get the sufficient section modulus. So the weight is reduced
    4. In the connection, bolt tigtening can be done easily, compared to CHSS, SHSS etc.
    5. Moment of inertia is less compare with other members. So the buckling in column is reduces. (pi2*E*I/le2)
    6. ........ so on

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am about to throw a big party, and I bought 243 bottles of wine. 48 hours before the party begins, I receive a letter saying that one of those...
Summer Season is on in India! Water is essential part of our life, it is duty of each one of us to contribute towards water management. [video=youtube;UL9ltMfAJJU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL9ltMfAJJU[/video] How To Save...
I want to pursue Graduation in Computer Science and Engineering. pls tell me the career options and job opportunities ?
Hi frndz.....I would like to where to get GRE material and support...I am a freshman from Coimbatore.....Please mention websites or institutes...
Written and directed by Rajneel Singh from New Zealand. Blank Spaces was a finalist in the Your Big Break competition a global search for the next great filmmaker. Their task...