Strain Gage for Measuring Load on Shaft

Hello everybody,

I'm new here, have visited on several occasions and lurked in an effort to learn - but this is my first time posting.

I'm an engineering student working on a project and am working with strain gages for the first time. The project consists of a rotating aluminum shaft (3 mm in diameter, 10 mm in length), with a motor on one end and a variable load at the other (load varies between 0 to 8kg). I'd like to mount a strain gage onto this shaft to be able to measure the load.

The shaft does not rotate continuously, only back and forth within a range of approximately 120 degrees. My thought is to model this problem as a bending load at the end of a shaft and determine the deflection in the aluminum shaft. Doing this, I might be able to spec out a strain gage. My problem is I'm not sure how to use these deflection / stress calculations to determine an appropriate strain gage - I've been looking through the Omega and Vishay catologues. I'm also not sure if it's even reasonable to expect to find a strain gage that is small enough to fit on a 3mm shaft, that has a resolution capable of measuring such small deflections.

Would anyone familiar with Strain Gages be able to provide a little insight / help for a lost student? 😀 Thanks!

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Yes tomerez sure,
    The strain gauge can be very sensitive even if you have shaft of mentioned dimensions. Can you tell us or show us the photo of strain gauge that you are using? so that people can help you?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey Admins, We have that conference / shoutbox in the home page of the forum. It is using a continuous refresh method, which is browser and bandwidth intensive. Why don't...
INFI's Mohandas Pai has said that the good old days of wage increase are over and IT engineers shouldn't expect huge salary raises this year. The reason is that market...
I got introduced to Northeye construction project at Noida India via CB's post in Skyscrappers. I checked out the video on SUPERTECH: NORTH EYE and its impressive. Does anyone have...
Hi all, I wanted to discuss what similarities you find between various softwares like catia,mechanical,inventor,Gstar etc. I use or atleast have worked with PRO-E and Catia and I can tell...
hey friends, we are much bothered about having the experts here then why cant we use CE id in many official sites many are giving there gmail id's we CEans...