Sphinx Search Server Advantages & How Does It Work?

I've been advised that on larger boards, Sphinx search would be a better option. I've collected some information about it but unable to make out whether it will be useful. I learned that the sphinx search engine is very good at indexing the content and can create millions of posts in just a few seconds. That's actually very impressive compared to the default php search engines.

What's your take on Sphinx Search Engine. How is it different from other search engines for database driven websites?

Link: Sphinx | Open Source Search Engine

Replies

• vinod12345madhu
    vinod12345madhu
    looks like the installation is a bit difficult. can any one help me out with the installation?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Is anyone willing to discuss this? Will be an amazing discussion, for sure.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    The_Big_K
    Is anyone willing to discuss this? Will be an amazing discussion, for sure.
    Ok I will.
    I will first do a study from the link you have given.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Installation failed for the third time... Followed all the instructions... 😔
    I am using it in Windows XP SP3... I used the installer, and it is crashing my Local MySQL Server... Any ideas to get it right???
  • vinod12345madhu
    vinod12345madhu
    my friend tried to install it on a linux shared server and that also crashed
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    On daemon or server crash, updates from RAM chunk might be lost. To prevent that, binary logging of transactions can be used; see Section 4.4, “Binary logging” for details.

Check Sphinx | Open Source Search Server , might help.
    First thing: How am I supposed to start the Sphinx, without crashing the server?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Robo war competitions are very famous in all the engineering colleges. Can someone keep us updated about the upcoming robowars? 😀
Okay, you know I'm an electrical engineer who plays with software. But I'm curious to know how the depth of foundation is calculated. Logically, it should be directly proportional to...
Well as I found that so many newly Registered members are posting their queries in their profile only the don't know how to use forum. So what I was thinking...
On and off, I've toyed with the notion of learning to read Chinese. Not to speak, understand or even write it--those might come later. I'm just thinking of learning to...
If you are aware of the designs by Calty, you will be anxious to see the new concept car designed by it. Lexus will showcase its concept vehicle next month...