Solar Power Cells Over Water Bodies [Narmada Canal, Gujarat]

You must have already read in the news about Gujarat becoming the first state in the country to generate solar power through panels mounted on a water body. The state is all set to install solar power cells over 1 km of the Narmada canal.

How much feasible and advantageous is this?

One that we can think of immediately is that this is a clean energy resource. Secondly, the need of land is reduced and we prevent the evaporation of lakhs of litres of water since the canal will be covered.

This is a Gujarat State Electricity Corporation Limited's (GSECL) project for 1 MW.
The engineering, procurement and construction contract for the project has been awarded to Sun Edison at a cost of Rs 17.71 crore. This is slightly higher than a traditional solar plant, where panels are mounted on land, which costs in the region of Rs14-15 crore for 1 MW.

The project will be complete in the next 2-3 weeks. What are your views about this?

Replies

• praveen_EEE
    praveen_EEE
    In Tamil Nadu they were giving free mixer grinder and wet grinder.. but they are not giving us electricity.. then what can we do with that, i think if they give free solar panel, then we don't have power failure... but they are not doing that...
  • Donagh
    Donagh
    I think that installing solar panels is always a good idea, it’s a missive resource and needs to be invested in if we are to get anything worthwhile out of it. But ehhh, why on the water? I image that a canal would have lots of stagnant water in it so above the water level the ambient humidity would be quite high. This environment is quite a breeding ground for single celled organisms that thrive in humid areas aka slime. Since a solar panels power harvesting capability is directly linked to how clean it is, then this doesn’t seem like such a good idea.. the whole array would have to be scrubbed down every two weeks.
  • praveen_EEE
    praveen_EEE
    but getting power from canal is not a simple process.. it requires high capital cost and need more time for construction.. but solar energy is renewable energy..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've always believed that the petroleum companies make sure that the world doesn't get enough of solar panels. But given the project being carried out in Gujarat; I must say the engineers have come up with a nice idea. I want to know how what percent of the canal are they planning to cover.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Did Verisign Steal Axis Bank’s Logo? In 2010, Verisign sold its authentication business unit to Symantec (the makers of the Norton Anti-Virus suite) for $1.28 billion. Verisign manages two of...
Hi guys, did anyone try the Belkin C10 Music receiver gadget? It offers connectivity over Bluetooth to stream music to any speaker system of your choice. 😀
This thread is in response to what i saw in this other thread: https://www.crazyengineers.com/community/threads/its-a-bike-its-a-car-its-a-bikecar.52439/ I haven't encoutered gyroscopes much in my experience and i am struggling to understand how they...
hi....... actually we are doin this project as our final year project so we want some base papers of this so plz ........
Guys we are live from TiECon Nagpur. Keep checking this thread for updates. Feel free to interact with us thrrough the comments. Post your thoughts in this thread.