Software for mechanical engineers

I am 2nd year B tech and I have decided to go for MS from US universities .
I want to know which Soft-wares to Learn in Mechanical Specially Design field .
I have heard about Pro E and Catia or Auto-CAD

I need a list of S/w which I could learn till my B tech degree .

I also want to know A good Magazine (Indian) for Mechanical Engi. related to Automobiles from where I could learn the various automobile features .

Thank You .

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    Re: Softwares For Mechanical (Design)

If you are looking for auto design software, do a quick search. There is a thread where I listed some. Hopefully a more local CE can help you with the magazine question.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88

The softwares you have listed are fine. Add Ansys to the list.
    There is a magazine called Automotive Engineering published by SAE. You could become a member if your college has an SAE student wing and the magazine will be provided to you free of cost.
  • gohm
    gohm

Do they publish an Indian version of AE or is it the same version?
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88

It is the same version. SAE international publication. The postage stamp is of Switzerland.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Ok, that being the case as a member you can also read them online too, all three publications. (you only get one of the three in hard copy with membership)
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Yep you can. Aerospace and Off Highway are the other two.
  • g_rakesh2
    g_rakesh2
    first learn MATLAB which is the most important software its not design software but if you are for higher studies then you must be proficient with it...
  • Dan68
    Dan68
    For design i have used solidworks i find it easy to learn and user friendly and as a uni student we got sponsorship copies for a FSAE team. Automobile books that are good is milliken race car dynamics. Also as a sort of technical feature interesting point of view there is a magazine in the uk i think called race car engineering. subscribe to that or try buy some old copies of ebay or something very interesting and informing book for ideas
  • aasheesh kumar
    aasheesh kumar

I also want to know A good Magazine (Indian) for Mechanical Engi. related to Automobiles from where I could learn the various automobile features .

Thank You .
  • gohm
    gohm
    Do a quick search on the site, we have discussed this recently.
  • Differential
    Differential
    People talk a lot about metlab, though I haven't seen it yet!
  • jai3720
    jai3720
    you can go for pro/engineering , catia ,autocad ,ansys, solid works etc.
    these software will help u a great deal in the feild of designing.
  • g_rakesh2
    g_rakesh2
    first you should learn
    MATLAB, C programming, Catia or Pro-e, and some CAE software like Ansys, Hypermesh.
    Machin Design is a good magzine for you if you are going to learn above softwares.
  • g_rakesh2
    g_rakesh2
    Differential
    People talk a lot about metlab, though I haven't seen it yet!
    Are you a mech engineer?
    every body use it. try its free version...
    you can do complex calculations with it like
    4X4 or 6X6 matrix multiplication as you can not do it manually or even by a calculator also...
  • Tkelly
    Tkelly
    Since you are a student, I would suggest to get aquainted with 2D AutoCAD and after that can easily complete Solid Works. Solid Works is easy to learn once you know AutoCAD.

As for magazines please refer Automobile magazine.

Tom
    CAD Outsourcing Services India | Indovance Inc
  • vegbruiser
    vegbruiser
    aasheesh kumar

Thank You .
    If you're planning on studying in the US, I'm pretty sure that Autodesk are giving away copies of AutoCAD 2010 so long as you can prove you're a student. (although I can't find the link that I clicked yesterday. 😔 )
  • mechno_deepak
    mechno_deepak
    i think u'll get the good list of engineering softwares on th site Engineering.com ,
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Don't forget our very own list!

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • yugesh11
    yugesh11
    I am final year B tech and I have decided to go for MS from US universities .

Thank You .
  • gohm
    gohm
    Hi & welcome to CE! Instead of repeating the original poster's question, how about adding your input into the discussion?

yugesh11
    I am final year B tech and I have decided to go for MS from US universities .

Thank You .
  • vvishwaskumar
    vvishwaskumar
    hi... auto-cad is mainly used for the two dimensional drawings and not really for 3D modelling. so i think, as i do, u should learn auto-cad 2d and after u got the idea of diff drwings then u can go for 3D softwewres..which are :
    1. Pro-e wildfire. *(for solid modelling)
    2. catia(for surface modelling)
    3. solid works
    4. cosmos works
    5. ANSYS
    6. Multi-body stimulation
    7. PPM concepts
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    expin the importance or work of metalab in mechanical field
  • vvishwaskumar
    vvishwaskumar
    hi..i am also in final yr and doing CATIA-v5. Its 3d surface modelling softwere. but i guide u if u dont know auto-cad then do it first ,which is basic softwere for 2d and then go to any 3d softwere like...Pro-E wildfire, catia, solidworks. cosmos and more...
  • anusha7407
    anusha7407
    CAN NE 1 HELP ME OUT ...FOR FREE SOFTWARES LIK ansys N proe
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    Anyway List is here
    AutoCAD
    PRO/E
    CATIA
    ANSYS
    INVENTOR
    SOLID WORKS
    COMSOL

Primevera can be added as advantage mate...
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    anusha7407
    CAN NE 1 HELP ME OUT ...FOR FREE SOFTWARES LIK ansys N proe
    Welcome to CE. Please take out time to introduce yourself in the "Introductions" section. Secondly try not to use SMS text and please post in a proper format.
    Regarding your query, I am sorry to say that both these softwares cost money and are not free.
  • kurtdaniel
    kurtdaniel
    mahe318

Thank You .
    ive seen an indian version of the #-Link-Snipped-# mag in the internet lately..and I bet it’s a very nice mag,,cause its so famous in the US.👍
  • blacrobous
    blacrobous
    first learn autocad then solidworks then catia then Ansys then pro-E and at last for analysis using simulation use MATLAB
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Autocad is one of the most widely used softwares out there. Starting version 2010, lots of new capabilities have been added, including improved 3D capabilities. A trial version is avalable (for students/faculty only) at autodesk's website. You will have to register (with your school/college's name) and then you will receive a 13 month trial.

Apart from Autocad, you should also learn a software that specifically caters to 3D CAD. I have done certificate courses in both, CATIA as well as SolidWorks. And I feel that SolidWorks is better, in terms of the variety of tools available, which makes your task easy as pie. Although I may be biased, as I am employed as instructor for SolidWorks 😁

SolidWorks premium edition includes various design validation tools which are ectremely useful to the designer (COSMOS Express for FEA, etc)
  • Sarfaraz Khan
    Sarfaraz Khan
    i suggest that you use Auto CAD,Solid Edge,Pro-E,Matlab,catia,fruity....there are so many but the above mentioned are best...
  • juma1987
    juma1987
    You all use original software? i mean u pay for all the software you use? :sshhh:

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hiii, Which type of PN codes is better for Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum - Barker codes or Gold codes? Thanks..
Hiii friends.. my name is pranav. I m from Chennai, India, now in first year of engineering 😀
hi.. All CE'ns...my prob is i am using ACER laptop presently and whenever i hide any file or folder i cant retrieve it back..i went to folder option->view..but no use...another...
hi, i wanna increase my worth as an engineer in electronics and i want help as i dont know which extra course will prove beneficial for me..........plzzzzzzzzzz help as i...
Hello buddies am back again wit more doubts as usual leaning on you ppl to lift me up a lil more Bipolar junction transistors Saturation Level ( Ic,sat) what is...