Soft skills or technical skills??

hi,

What do you all think is most important for a CAREER IN IT??

SOFT SKILLS or TECHNICAL SKILLS

Start expressing all your views on this.....πŸ˜€

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    In my opinion, Technical Skillset is the most important. Soft-Skills come later. One of the greatest engineers of our times, Steve Wozniak (Creator of Apple/Apple II) admitted that he wasn't very good at soft skills. But he changed the world.

I've seen many talented engineers who were not good at communicating, expressing themselves, writing emails, public speaking - but they excelled at their work.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    miniy
    hi,

What do you all think is most important for a CAREER IN IT??

SOFT SKILLS or TECHNICAL SKILLS

Start expressing all your views on this.....πŸ˜€
    If you are talking about "Career in IT" both soft skills and technical skills matters but yes outside IT only your technical skills matter. My personal experience.πŸ˜‰
  • Yamini L
    Yamini L
    Technical skills are important too, but as far as a CAREER IN IT is concerened, i think its only Soft skills thats getting more importance..

I too cited the same example biggie gave when i was put into a discussion on this topic,but in turn they gave me another example - BILL GATES(school dropout)...

I had also heard people from top mnc's saying that "TECHNOLOGY BECOMES OBSOLETE IN 33 days"..Attitude matters a lot,the way we look at things does matter..

Its only in IT companies people from all streams are recruited,but CORE companies are very particular about this..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    What's it about Bill Gates? He's a fairly technical guy and not a very great speaker. Steve Jobs, on the other hand is more of a showman than technical man.

Frankly speaking, I don't think "Career in IT" applies to Bill Gates or any other entrepreneur in the way it's being understood here. Let's talk about an average engineer graduating from a decent engineering college and joining a software company.

Both soft-skills and technical skills matter. But since the debate is about which one matters the most - my answer is Technical Skills. I'd not recruit a guy who's got awesome soft-skills but average technical skills in my technical team.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I believe it is quite easy to pick up some technical skills. Not only would they have been "trained" in the technical knowledge in college (whether forced or not), you also nowadays you get those "learn [insert programming language] in 24 hour" books and what not. So, while those skills are very important, it is not the sole importance.

Whats not easy is developing the skills needed to communicate effectively, whether its presenting or meeting. Its related to their personal traits which they have picked up throughout their lives. This is not something you learn explicitly in college. Someone who is willing to learn soft skills mean they want to be an effective employee and make other people's lives easier.

I dont think its an either or situation. Both is important now that engineers are more deeply involved with interacting with others rather than getting holed up in their work.

The danger about this debate is thinking that once one is more important than the other, you can solely rely on it and neglect the other. In truth, you'll never be in a situation where you have to choose between them.

So, whats the moral? Work on both skills in tandem, since it is possible. Lets encourage future engineers to be more proactive rather than selective, yea?
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Yep, nicely put Ash.
    The differences between an engineer and a manager are rapidly blurring, so it would be wise to be capable to don both hats with ease. ie, trying to have ample technical skills while not compromising with soft skills would be the way to go.
  • gohm
    gohm
    I guess it would depend on if you are talking about a career in IT as a tech/engineer or admin/management. The former would require mainly tech skills while the later mainly soft skills.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    my view , its a bit simple to get into industry you need a good extent of Soft Skills and a small extent of Technical Skills.

But to survive and grow you need Technical Stuff πŸ˜›
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    For me IT is a field where If you want growth, you need to count things whatever you are doing.

so for doing -technical and for counting soft skills are must. Still personally I give more weightage to technical side.

Also, it depends if you want to persue your career in management side in IT or architechtue side of IT. Answer would be solely dependednt on that.

-Crazy
  • patricholier
    patricholier
    Hi

This topic help me a lot in developing my project. I will contribute more when I finished it.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @patricholier: Good to know. What is your project about? πŸ˜€
  • patricholier
    patricholier
    AbraKaDabra
    @patricholier: Good to know. What is your project about? πŸ˜€
    Thank you for your interest! Soft skills is a problem I need to study.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    patricholier
    Thank you for your interest! Soft skills is a problem I need to study.
    Alright. All the best with your study. Keep us posted.

And yeah, :welcome: to CE..
  • patricholier
    patricholier
    AbraKaDabra
    Alright. All the best with your study. Keep us posted.

And yeah, :welcome: to CE..
    If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: #-Link-Snipped-#

Best regards.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Has any one heard of Dale Carnegie?
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    People with Technical skills require some people with soft skills and the people having the soft skills work under the technical people assisting technical purposes. So both are important but no need of soft skills if you don't have technical stuff.
  • Apurwa.Thakur
    Apurwa.Thakur
    i think both the word are co related from each other and set up equal importance in carrier building as per today's world demand.its my personal experience that if i know something my soft skill automatically generates because i gain confidence.and in this modern world most probably all know communicating English so they can share their views.
  • MegaByte
    MegaByte
    In my opinion, technical skills matters more since they are domain specific. Also, technical skills cannot be adopted by practice, they have to be mastered. And soft skills are those that can be developed through constant practice of self-development.

ishutopre
    Has any one heard of Dale Carnegie?
    Yes, I have heard about the Dale Carnegie Training for developing the soft skills. Few days back, a seminar was held in my college by The Dale Carnegie Institute. They were stressing out on the point that how soft skills are important and how they help to groom one's personality.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Technical Skills are the foundation to go to top... But softskills are those, which maintain your position in the top! πŸ˜€

Dale Carnegie, I am a great fan of his books on motivation... πŸ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi ceans, i want to know that the codes in the marco's can be edited to our flexibility??? if possible...how???
I'm a final yr BTech student at NIT JAIPUR. I need literature and case studies on the following topics for my final yr project. DEVELOPMENT OF TRIP MATRICES AND DESIRE...
plz tell the current ratings of AT89C51 micro controllerπŸ˜’
hi, please tell me is it possible to write structure chart only for procedural programming codes or can it be written for object oriented programs also?
Hey I was curious if anyone here might have some expereince in detecting satellite reception. Specificly television broadcasts. For example is there any documentation on 'how' to read the packets...