"Social Entrepreuneurship" anyone!?*

Hi, is anyone interested in the concept of social entrepreneurship? As in the work that ashoka or skoll foundation is focused on? I thought I would see if anyone is interested in starting a discussion about this concept, maybe one part of the discussion for general/philosophical expressions, but more importantly to engage in productive discussions regarding actual products/solutions we can design/invent to help improve people's lives...one of the thousands of examples e.g. what are some simple ideas whereby people can produce & store electrical energy during the day while engaging in manual chores, so they can use that energy later to light the home where there is no power or they cannot afford power...etc. if you see the ashoka and skoll web sites you will see what I am talking about....ok thanks and look forward to hearing from some of you!

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, yep. I'm interested.

store electrical energy
    Any ideas to begin with?
  • vfugue
    vfugue
    Re: "Social Entrepreneurship" anyone!?*

Hi Big K - well, I saw a beautiful example of this with an engineer out of Kolkata - Suprio Das - it was very inspiring. You can see what he has made by going to YouTube and searching for "Human Powered Domestic Lighting in Rural India"...his system is very simple, and he is not trying to win design awards, he is trying to create inexpensive, affordable solutions using recyled materials, to improve the lives of people living in or near poverty - which is really the goal of social entrepreneurship right? Love to hear what you all think after you see his video...not in terms of criticizing his invention , because I think we have to admire anyone and everyone who is expending his time/energy in this way, but in terms of other ideas of how to convert human mechanical energy into electrical energy and store it...
  • pracas
    pracas
    Hi vfugue, its a nice idea but the most difficult to work on - most of the times it would be difficult to find commercial viability. If you are interested in these angles perhaps you can attend Shodh Yatras organised by the national innovation foundation. You will run into loads of grass roots innovations with unlimited possibilities.
  • manojvishnupriya
    manojvishnupriya
    Hi buddy. I am interested
  • arunkumar505
    arunkumar505
    hi everyone i have an idea related to the social enterprise and i want to discuss with u all guys who are looking forward for that

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi

Hi everyone, I graduated from Berkeley, BA in Economics, and minor in engineering (software) have spent a lot of time in India, live in California and I'm Canadian...my hobbies are...
hi, i want to apply for GATE through online application and use demand draft for payment, but i'm not sure whether i also need to post the demand draft to...
could u plz tell me ny paper presentation examples based on mechanical field!!!!
The world is full of crazy people . I just noticed that there are people in the world who are willing to rent out their forehead for displaying advertisements. What...
friends need a good paper presentation to submit for college symposium can some one help me out😎