sms notification

Hello all,

Can anyone direct me in a direction where I can find information on communicating to a device through text messages or missed calls? A simple example: sms'ing a kettle to start boiling. I would like to know what you need, how this works and how I can add this feature to devices myself.

Regards,
LEon

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    For that you must need One MODEM at the device side which reads SMS and perform the function according to that. like Kettle is electronic then its Power Supply is controlled by one UNIT which is also Contain MODEM. MODEM receives SMS decodes it..if it is Okey then give commands to Start Kettle for predefined Time or you can even enter time via SMS. let me know your application i can suggest you in detail.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Still you have any query?
  • nenuadwani
    nenuadwani
    can we really do this... i would like to know which type of modem do we need for this and how can we connect it to the device
  • drnaphtali
    drnaphtali
    Hey Godfather,

Thank you for the reply! I actually replied earlier, I do not know why my earlier post did not submit.

I do not have any specific application (yet). I am just trying to understand how it works, how the device communicates etc and then try to think and see where I can use it. Can you refer me to a specific type of 'modem' I can use, what I should look for? The device should obviously just do the basics: It should use the number depending on the sim I inserted, decode the information, and then I want to do specific functions depending on the type of information which is received. Can an old cellphone be used as a modem?? Can it decode a message for me and can I then read off this data? I sort off understood the concept that you explained, I prefer to go into detail of the matter though.

Thanks and regards,
    LEon
  • drnaphtali
    drnaphtali
    Nenu:

Here is a quick example of existing products using this technology while I was busy googling for info:

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    drnaphtali
    Hey Godfather,

Thank you for the reply! I actually replied earlier, I do not know why my earlier post did not submit.

I do not have any specific application (yet). I am just trying to understand how it works, how the device communicates etc and then try to think and see where I can use it. Can you refer me to a specific type of 'modem' I can use, what I should look for? The device should obviously just do the basics: It should use the number depending on the sim I inserted, decode the information, and then I want to do specific functions depending on the type of information which is received. Can an old cellphone be used as a modem?? Can it decode a message for me and can I then read off this data? I sort off understood the concept that you explained, I prefer to go into detail of the matter though.

Thanks and regards,
    LEon

You can use SIM300 Modem and not sure that old Mobiles are compatible to interface it with Controller..
    And yes to read SMS you must have to refer AT Command.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello CEans 😀 are there any CAT 2010 takers out there:?: the exam starts today and extends till the 24th November. the prometric is conducting the online test this year...
Sony Ericsson's Yari is one heck of a popular phone model available (Released in September 2009) for a very descent price that offers plethora of features. Let's have a look...
Nokia, the name synonymous with mobile phones in India is now finding it difficult to compete with the local brands that have sprung up like mushrooms. The company already has...
The new Nokia N97 Mini is a new phone in the N series that sports lot of improved features. The phone's got 3.5" widescreen and a very fast browsing experience,...
Indian mobile handsets company Micromax launched a touch screen smartphone on wdenesday, moduT, in partnership with Israel based modu limited to tap the "aspirational" segement of the consumers. The 3.5G...