SMS Lingo On The Rise In School Exams - Good or Bad?

School teachers in Bhopal, India have been fighting with a new "problem" of SMS Lingo being used in papers. Gone are the days of proper spellings and punctuation. 'Your' has been replaced by 'ur' , 'great' has been replaced by 'gr8' and so on.

We write because we want to communicate and SMS Lingo is just another form of expression. As long as your reader can understand that 'gr8' means 'great', you should be fine. On the other hand, it's a serious assault on the language.

Do you think SMS lingo should be accepted in schools and we should 'evolve' from being too conservative about proper usage of language? Express your opinion.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Related Question: Would you be comfortable writing your own name in SMS Lingo?
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    I think sms lingo should not be accepted in schools for exams. If it is accepted in school exams means, the education system should be changed as such.
    There should be a separate part for SMS lingo, included in English syllabus.๐Ÿ˜ฒ
    There should be a separate book ( sort of dictionary ) for this SMS lingo.
    And the teacher's who are going to correct the exam paper, They have to first learn the SMS language.๐Ÿ˜‰

Second part is,
    whats wrong in being too conservative about proper usage of language! English is a language, used for communication all over the world. Its always good to be perfect in anything.๐Ÿ˜€

"Comfort", depends on the person, their usage of SMS lingo.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If more number of students are going to use the SMS lingo; doesn't it make sense to have the teachers learn it ๐Ÿ˜‰ to adapt to the changing times? What do you guys think? Awaiting responses.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    aarthivg
    whats wrong in being too conservative about proper usage of language! English is a language, used for communication all over the world. Its always good to be perfect in anything.๐Ÿ˜€
    "Comfort", depends on the person, their usage of SMS lingo.
    Then why *not* to support using sms spells in English Literature exams or grammer exams.๐Ÿ˜จ

My view is 1st impression of using sms spells is "You are not serious about it.".
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ianoop
    Then why to support using sms spells in English Literature exams or grammer exams.๐Ÿ˜จ

My view is 1st impression of using sms spells is "You are not serious about it.".
    That is one reason we make it mandatory for everyone to stick to regular English. The moment sms lingo appears; it takes out the seriousness in it. Interesting, isn't it? Is there any way to fix this problem? Can students be made to stick to the English that's taught in schools?
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    Itz iritatng f I tok lyk dis or rite lyk dis, n askn me 2 read dis way's jus wastin ma tym n energy wich I cud've spent resorsfuly sumwher els. Thankazz!

See what I did there? It's great if you can decipher the SMS-lingo, but using it everywhere just makes others doubt your intellectuality, not to mention the time wastage of the examiner. Not recommended.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Shiva- Mech. Engineer- IT Profesional- looking for a change in career-Cheers!
Apple does things differently. Yeah, we have heard it over a thousand times already. But there is something about the way they function, that helps their products create a dent...
Adobe Creative Suite 6 products are immediately available through Adobe Authorized Resellers, the Adobe Store in North America and Adobe Direct Sales. Estimated street price for the suites is US$2,599...
This thread is open to all thoughts, ideas, feedback about blogging as a career option for engineers. By the nature of it, blogging is all about content generation in different...
My parents have given me two options for my Career.. Either pursuing Masters in Manuf. Tech in Australia or getting trained in my uncles' CNC company for 4 to 5...