Smart People Change Their Minds - Jeff Bezos : What's your take?

So, many of us tend to change our mind about things - Sometimes due to new experiences, sometimes due to unexpected reading and so on. Some people don't even have reasons why they changed their mind. It could be a pure conscience call for some.
Those who are under regular introspection, will agree that they know they've changed mind about some issues and aren't sure if not having a undeterred mind-set and clear opinions about things is really a good thing. Does it mean you are flexible to change? Does it mean one minute you want something and the other minute you want something else?

Today morning I read a blogpost about what Jeff Bezos, the Amazon.com Co-Founder and CEO had to say about this.
Quoting his words -

The people who are right a lot often change their minds. Bezos said he doesn’t think consistency of thought as a particularly positive trait. It’s better, even healthier in fact, to have an idea that contradicts one you had before.
The smart people constantly revise their understandings of a matter. They reconsider problems they thought they had solved. They are open to new points of view, new information, and challenges to their own ways of thinking.
Would love to know what CEans think about this. Shoot in the replies before you change your mind. 😉

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think change of mind is a human nature and I'm not sure if 'smartness' can be associated with it. Change of mind, I think, is associated with the decision making process and decisions are based on various parameters (which tend to change). It's *very* important to figure out what's the benefit of change of mind / opinion / belief etc.

Changing mind 'often' isn't very good all the times, in my opinion. One needs to have a strong belief in something and if the belief is established; change of mind may help strengthening that belief.

PS: Looks like I'm not able to present my thoughts clearly 😁
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Change of mind brings about a sound change if there is a factor called experience or reliable info is the cause of it. Otherwise it will be like a let lose zombie to roam about in the form of MAN till another change of mind occurs
  • Oceanliner
    Oceanliner
    Nah beeing completely wrong is usually coupled with having taken bad decisions or wasted time which I dont like. In a documentary about the search for the Higgs particle a scientist said that he liked beeing almost right to the point of thinking "hmm that's odd". Because if he was 100% right he had learnt nothing and well if he (and his fellow scientists) was totually wrong the field of physics have to go back decades for a solid ground. So in my point of view as well, beeing sort of right and then learn something is where I want to be.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Looks like the Indian Banks are going digital and now allow aadhaar card as a valid identity proof for the bank's Know Your Customer Program. We've written about Indian Government's...
I've been wondering why passports are still the old school paper books with Jurassic stamps on them? Why haven't the passports gone digital yet? Are there any serious issues with...
The Tata Consultancy Services continues to be the biggest IT services and consulting company in India and the company has announced that they're sticking to their recruitment plan for the...
Guys, I am facing a problem where the pressure gages fail often... How to make a root cause analysis for the same?
Day before yesterday, many places in M.P. experienced earthquake of intensity upto 5. I also felt my bed and tv shaking.. The reason said is the mining going on at...