Smart grid - the upcoming concept in electrical engineering

The smart grid is a totally new and upcoming concept in the field of electrical engineering. A smart grid uses a form of electrical network and digital technology as its backbone. The 4 major parts of the electrical power system are generation, transmission, distribution and consumption. The digital technology helps in maintaining synchronization amongst these [...]

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Arp
    Arp
    thanx for sharing this
  • Arp
    Arp
    from this, i have understand about its very basic only..
    can u please elaborate it??
    how the signal is sent from the consumer end and how it vary with load demand of user???
    please elaborate it...
  • freak16
    freak16
    CE- voice doing great biggie!
  • jjdraw
    jjdraw
    just a few questions.
    reliable? really? As 'reliable' as cable TV? Or reliable as the network around here? not always real good.
    Reliability is yet to be proven.

How can you have 'better quality' power?
    How does digital make it more efficient other than controlling behavior? What about hacking security?

Debugging will be done by the grid? Well, what if the 'grid' is down/ how will debugging be accomplished.

Then lets consider 'controlling'. Who does the controlling? the smart grid manager? Who will determine if used my toaster too much? Most home customers do not get charged for on-peak pricing.

Also, cost will be HUGE. and for cost, doesn't the utility company make money by how much they SELL YOU? the more you waste the more they make!!

and, who will set the protocols and standards? Microsoft, Cisco, google,GE.
    Oh, I do not have much faith in that.

Its a relatively good idea but many questions need to be addressed before jumping into this.

Besides, most people i interface with would rather be OFF-GRID
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    @jj- Your questions are very cogent. The entire principle of smart grid works on redistribution of power. You can check it out on the net if you want.
  • jjdraw
    jjdraw
    yup, i know.
    it has good intentions.
    actually, 12 years ago I was invloved with communication over power lines.

so how much more bandwidth do you think will be needed to integrate all the AC appliances in just one average town?

example:
    how will an elctric dryer be controlled to turn off during high-peak and yet not turn off the water well-pump?
    internet? power line communication? what will the cost of that implementation be for every appliance.

intelligent consumers and good conservation techniques would make a big difference at much less cost.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A flow meter is a meter that essentially measures the rate of flow of liquid flowing through the pipe. Tracking the flow is of utmost importance in industrial as well...
Could anybody explain me what is speed voltage? somebody told this term while explaining the single phase induction machine. IT was told that it comes due to rotor coupling and...
Every year almost every engineering college in India organizes TechFest – an event comprising of technical events, competitions, paper presentation competitions, seminar presentations and so on. The events also open...
BITS PILANI - APOGEE 2011 Technical FEST HEALTH CARE GADGET DESIGN In nothing do men more nearly approach the gods than in giving health. Do you have the potential to...
Hi friends i need material about the following topic. Any one give valuable notes about that topic...plz.