Skoda Octavia Launched In India - Price & Features Won't Be Announced Just Yet

Skoda India has officially announced the new Skoda Octavia for Indian markets. The Octavia brand, darling of automobile enthusiasts all over India has just made a comeback. We wrote about the #-Link-Snipped-# launch a few days ago. You may remember that Skoda made an entry in India about 12 years ago with the Octavia brand and later introduced several brands like Laura, Superb, Yeti and Rapid. The brand Octavia was discontinued subsequently. The company however had promised that they'll bring back 'the legend', and here it is! Let's have a quick look at the price, features and most importantly the 'promised mileage' (update: Skoda won't talk about it today!) of the new Skoda.

slide
Image Credit: OnCars.in​

The new car uses VolksWagen MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten aka Modular Transversal Toolkit) platform. Designed to appeal to families as well as executives, the new Octavia indeed has an impressive body. The car will have two petrol and one diesel variants - 1.8 TSI, 1.4 TSI and 2.0 TDI. Octavia is designed to offer the comfort of an E-class. It's got an 108mm longer wheelbase and the overall length is 90mm more than the older version. The MQB platform ensures that the overall weight of the car is reduced by about 102 Kg and has plenty of legroom for the rear passengers. Plus, the boot capacity is cool 590 liters.

Skoda-Legroom
Image Credit: Abhay Verma ( Twitter: @abhay_v)​
Equipped with 18-inch Gemini anthracite alloy wheels, acoustic rear parking sensors, automatic post collision braking system, black door mirrors and handles, daytime LED running lights, and dual zone air conditioning, you know that all the cool features are just in place. Don't miss out on the new logo!

skoda-new-logo

The car itself will be made available by the 'festive season'. Expect it to hit the roads in India by November this year. Production of the car has already began in Skoda's factory in Aurangabad. The car will be manufactured in India and the company has no export plans as of now. Markets like Russia, China, Europe will have their own manufacturing facilities for the new car.

Update 1: Skoda has announced the the current 'Laura' will be phased out as the new Octavia sets in.

Update 2: Though Skoda said that they won't talk about the specifications and the official price today, we'd estimate it to be between Rs. 15 - 18 lakh. Do share your opinions below!
Developing...

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    What???????????
    102 kg of weight has been reduced!!!!!!
    amusing and kindles a suspicion over the Skoda.What does the skoda sacrifice to decrease the weight by 102kg?
    Please say if you know #-Link-Snipped-# ji.👎
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, you can skip the 'ji' part whenever you tag me. I think we'll only know what led to the reduction in weight when all the specifications are available.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, you can skip the 'ji' part whenever you tag me. I think we'll only know what led to the reduction in weight when all the specifications are available.
    This type of major weight reduction can be achieved by using less weighing material for body work.Otherwise I dont think they can achieve this type of weight reductionn
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Yeah I Agree to @CSKauto without a change in material this is not feasible

But the price tag for the service they offer is not so pleasing

PS: Is any one satisfied with the service of Skoda
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I always love the rugged look of Skoda cars, The octavia which was launched earlier was if I remember correctly its Base3, now they must have launched in base4. Looking at the features I am sure the car will be a good one 😀 I am inclined to german technology.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    What needs to be known is whether the engine included in this version of the car is exactly the same as its European counterpart. That should give us the details. I think lot of weight can be reduced by proper choice of the interior stuff. I'm not surprised that the car sheds 102 Kgs.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    So, the legend did actually come back! See: #-Link-Snipped-#
    I was skimming through the webpages for the price range. If it starts at Rs. 13 lakh, the new Octavia is ought to give its competitors a mighty tough time.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Octavia is one hell of a series. With this new model, I am sure it will give one decent competition. Apart from that, Honda and Hyundai need to take some urgent steps if they wish to keep their eye pieces in the picture. Engine for this one should definitely match the international version. That will sure increase its popularity.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We all knew that TATA,Hindustan and Maruti Suzuki ruled the Auto Industry in India till 1990's but After the globalization and people's love for foreign brands, all the things changed...
Okay, here's the simple script if you want to change uppercase filenames to lower-case & vice-versa. Uppercase Filenames To Lowercase : #!/bin/sh if [ $# -eq 0 ] ; then...
Integrated graphics were tagged as 'useless' for gaming. But since last two-three years after the development of AMD APU & Intel's HD series IGFX, the gaming is kinda possible without...
While i was reading the newspaper I was shocked on seeing the title that "Indian MP's having criminal record accounts for as many as 31% members of parliament (MPs) legislators...
I think I landed in correct arena to get answer for my question.So here is my question 1)why lights flicker or blasts when a thunder struck ? 2)what is the...