Simply supported, or fixed beam ?

What kind of a beam is a ceiling joist ?

Obviously it sounds like fixed type. but last month i was going through a solid-mechanics text book, and it said that the type was simply supported.

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    what is a ceiling joist can any one post a picture of it
  • pikachu1994
    pikachu1994
    jeffrey samuel
    what is a ceiling joist can any one post a picture of it
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    from picture there is no point in concluding that this is a simply supported beam

the true definition of fixed beam is that the beam is attached to the column by some binders like RCC and stuff
  • Saiwal
    Saiwal
    the beam shown in the picture is a continuous beam. Simply supported and fixed beams are ideal cases which rarely exist in real world applications.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    let me tell you the difference between a fixed beam and a simply supported one;

fixed beam: all degrees of freedom at the end points of this beam are arrested. in other words, the beam is stiffly fixed at both the ends.

simply supported beam: degrees of freedom only along the y-direction is arrested. it can still move in the x and z-directions.

now coming back to the ceiling joist, it appears to be fixed rigidly, so then how is it simply supported ?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    it is continuously supported held there is provision either to fix it or let it be free
  • vamsi kancharla
    vamsi kancharla
    zaveri
    What kind of a beam is a ceiling joist ?

Obviously it sounds like fixed type. but last month i was going through a solid-mechanics text book, and it said that the type was simply supported.
    it is not simply supported it bears ceeling weight and transfers to ground through PILLARS or COLOUMNS
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    yup but we don't see any fixing of the beam to any of them they are placed on top of em with out being clamped tight
  • Mohamed Amir
    Mohamed Amir
    it is partially not totally fixed.......

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey myself deepika from uttrakhand ,india. Im pursuing ma b.tech in computers 😀😀
can anyone please help me?
Microsoft has today announced a Games & Entertainment Studio in London, that will focus on Windows 8 tablet's development. With the October Launch, currently Windows 8 tablets has around 40...
Those of us who hate to take theory exams, would love to read about this. Japan's engineers are busy building robots that will take their top university exams in every...
A lot of CEans are writing to me asking for sponsorships regarding their engineering college techfests. There are no ready made answers for this either, but if we all discuss...