Should university students be required to attend classed?

There are to different opinions. Some people claim that attending classes is must to students. Other people, however agree that it should be up to the students to decide whether they need to go or not.
As far as I am concerned, no matter whether students like it or not,they must attend classes*.

Replies

• yadavundertaker mohit
    yadavundertaker mohit
    i think it should not made compulsory to attend classes..my college is too strict this time and detained the students from taking the first sessional exam . most probably i will also get detained in 2nd sessional starting from nov 3,09..

it is too troublesome to attend the lectures from 9 to 5 continuously......
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    in our college there is no way one can escape classes as the attendance is taken every hour and the security at the gates don't allow students to pass through during college hours.but people bunk classes when we have some seminars or symposiums happening, in the name of OD(on duty-permission to leave the campus for collecting sponsors and other such work)

i think students should attend classes as the teachers are coming to the classes for helping the students.its not nice on our part to just ignore the class.it might even cause difficulty in understanding many concepts....

so i think the students should attend the classes 😀
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Students should attend the classes , however it should not be made compulsary.

Since say I have 6 subjects I am good at one and If i can read it myself I dont attend the class !!!

There are many reasons for which we can bunk the class.

If we dont like the style we cant learn the subject 😀

So my take is we should attend but it should not be compulsary!!
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    I think students should attend the classes..
    No doubt student should have habit of self study but without teacher you can't have better understanding
    I think listening is better than self study..it makes concept more clear
  • yadavundertaker mohit
    yadavundertaker mohit
    ya i agree to all of you to attend the class but it also depend on the teacher ..our mechanical old professors which are retired from IITs and DCE teach the subject at a very high level ..like if they want to teach you the English alphabets they will lecture the students on how to make the sentence?

some are very good but really computer teachers are worst.........
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    English-Scared
    Students should attend the classes , however it should not be made compulsary.

Since say I have 6 subjects I am good at one and If i can read it myself I dont attend the class !!!

There are many reasons for which we can bunk the class.

If we dont like the style we cant learn the subject 😀

So my take is we should attend but it should not be compulsary!!
    I agree with you, completely..

on a related note, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion if the classes involved a more practical based approach..i know i would love to attend a class, say, on IC Engines (a subject i had during 2nd year of my degree course) if the classes involved demonstration of the concepts (wherever possible) on an actual engine!!
  • sookie
    sookie
    Are they any VIPs[Read as Very Idiot Persons] that they shouldn't ? Discuss the things and topics with your friends. Increase your knowledge about useful things rather than bunking and watching movies. Even if anyone says that teacher is not good - it's time wastage and I prefer to go to Library. Good do that but before that try to complain about the teachers who just don't know about the subject or are lazy in teaching. There are people who listen only if majority is with you. In this way at least you are improving some standards of education. Higher level people also come to know that we students are not any fools who will accept any fool also as a teacher.
  • BigOhm
    BigOhm
    I teach at university level. I frankly don't care whether or not you attend. However, if you do not attend, please do not ask me about the missed classes or ask for assistance.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What is EVDO based technology used in laptops and how does it work? Need some expert comments. PB
How to design a BCD Subtractor??
the company has introduced a new feature that will allow consumers to use its Google Voice service without switching to a special phone number. Google Voice offers a variety of...
I`ve had a new idea in designing a pulse jet by adding a valve in it... According to my intuition and logically this increases the output many folds and I`ve...
India’s most spectacular online technical event Be ready for the virtual launch of windows 7,windows server R2 and other Microsoft product Virtual TechDays :: Registration