Should there be Wikileaks in India?

With WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange and 'Wikileaks' itself regularly appearing in news, there is a thought flowing around that, what would happen if a service like wikileaks is operational in India?

Please voice your opinions through the comments.

Replies

• makru921
    makru921
    If by any chance WikiLeaks starts operating in India, i'm sure they'll have to keep changing servers due to over load๐Ÿ˜€ Im sure there would be a lot of whistle-blowers and hundreds of documents.
  • 4M4N
    4M4N
    YES there Should be Wikileaks in India
  • freak16
    freak16
    I vehemently support wikileaks.. if it will be in India. A better political picture will come up and may be our most corrupted leaders will not dirty their hands more with corruption like fungus..๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    Now actually we are conditioning ourselves to think that simple because "Wikileaks" is named the way it is, that it'll bring to light all the shady deals of our leaders. Pray tell me one thing, has anybody verified the authenticity of Wikileaks' sources? How do they obtain all these info from? If they are powerful enough to tap into classified government files then it is quite possible that this could be happening with the connivance of some insiders. This itself robs the released documents of its 'trust' factor because such 'sensational' news cal also be cooked up by rivals.
    I'm not saying it is entirely bad, but the way it has captured the imagination of the netizens, the newfound 'power' it has acquired could be misused. Such a thing if introduced in India will provide easy fodder for our irresponsible media to create doubts in the minds of the people. No governments can be perfect because they aren't mean't to be. And what is Wikileaks achieving by reporting personal opinions of world leaders about each other. As a human it is quite natural to express our thoughts(harmless ones) about others. Instead of something like Wikileaks it would be better if we campaign for 'transparent' governance which will bring about good accountability rather than such 'leaks' which will become a playground for politicians to malign each other.
  • Leo
    Leo
    I am still confused about Weakileaks(good or bad) but one thing I can make you sure. If anyone tries to try weakileaks in India, will find himself dead in-spite of z-level security within 2-3 weeks after whistle blower and others will only watch that no one is getting punished till the end of time. So this discussion is total futile so far as i can think of.
  • freak16
    freak16
    @Sherya..
    I completely concede to your voice. But if things unveiled by wikileaks are false then why are not people turning up and refusing the charges against them? And why did america release a chargesheet against julian assange for a heinous act like harassment in sweden..Is not it ridiculous. as in if wikileaks is pity thing then why are media so fascinated towards wikileaks?? plz have some comments..i need to be clear on this..๐Ÿ˜›

@leo
    This discussion is not futile as above all we are citizens of a democratic india .It is we who define nation and our system so it is vert necessary to be clear about things to clear them from our place..:smile:
  • Leo
    Leo
    Its just 30 percent people of India who really think India is really practicing democracy rest 70% know in face we are not. Reason is quite simple in India a cost of life is much cheaper to your religious ethics though they are wrong next, there's no one who can really mess with Indian government since our law has provided them with nearly unlimited powers third cyber laws of India are not weak as Sweden and Germany. So no matter what you discus here, it will be 100% futile.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    freak16
    @Sherya..
    @leo
    This discussion is not futile as above all we are citizens of a democratic india .It is we who define nation and our system so it is vert necessary to be clear about things to clear them from our place..:smile:
    Either you are not living in India or you are not reading the newspapers. Dear friends of mine, please get out of those civics text books which define Democracy and things like that. The reality is the exact opposite. What we are actually having is something on the lines of dictatorship. Tell me the number of politicians who are punished for their wrong-doings when they or their party is on power. If you don't know, I will tell you, its ZERO. Yes, Z E R O.
    Question number one to people who still think we are living in a Democratic India. What is the need of a political party? Please don't give me the text book answer for this question, ask yourself. Now, do one thing, for the second question, answer my first question.
    Also, please let me know if the definition of democracy was changed recently.
  • freak16
    freak16
    Dear friends!!
    Exactly ,this is what i want to hear.I completely agree to your facts. But if we have some grievances from our country , Why should we not try to change the today for a better tomorrow? We should get into the system for imitigating all the anomalies. And We , Indian Youths only can change the picture of indian politics otherwise we can never overtake china in its progress. Othwise Government Keeping spending our money splurgely on the Games like CWG (a symbol of British slavery)!! Otherwise A Raja like leaders continue to hollow our country. Otherwise Onions rates be high like 70-80 rs. Othwise Petrol will be 100 rs one day.. Please give your ideas to improve the state of our country..to make it worlds largest democracy in real sense.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    If you think the below words of mine are of no sense, think again.
    Do you know how the AIDS virus works? Don't discuss it here. But a group of people has to be like that.
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    @aj- Probably you haven't read my post properly, but what I meant is we don't need a Wikileaks to tell us that our netas are corrupt. We already know that & corruption isn't limited to the upper echelons of the authorities. It takes root in the mindset of the person at the bottom. And I'm unable to grasp the meaning of your latest post. Please could you be a bit more clear( I am saying this because I'm sure your latest post isn't directed at anyone personally)
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    I will give you the working of the AIDS Virus. It enters your system and acts as if it is a part of the system. It fools your body's immunity mechanism.
    Substitute the immunity system with the corruption system. I hope you understood what I meant to say. That is the only cure to the ailment. Its a long process, but it is a slow but steady process.
    @aj- Probably you haven't read my post properly,
    I read it, but a few others didn't. I just wanted to make it straight for them. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    @aj- You are pretty right, but the media influences the people's opinion & it should be selective about reporting. Wikileaks is unhealthy.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Wiki leaks is undoubtedly unhealthy. The thing you are seeing now is a drama, and this drama is organized by the greatest nations which are being 'affected'. After the passage of time, the situations are going to be changed. Wikileaks is making a good image right now. The patterns of its reporting is differing. Watch closely.
  • freak16
    freak16
    @aj..
    Thanks a lot!! You opened my eyes..you completely rock!! Now I m clear..
  • Sachin Jain
    Sachin Jain
    I agree with aj....nice words ๐Ÿ˜€
  • krishnabansal07
    krishnabansal07
    yes thier shold be wiki leaks....they should reveaal all scandals so that public becomes ware of all facts...bt i think that should nt b on international levell...that digraces a country nationallyy....and security facts nt be revealled as threatens security of a country...!!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Surely we can't oppose Wikileaks? We'd be a target for hackers! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Wikileaks or no, there should at least be SOME sort of avenue for whistle blowers to safely report corruption in India. Now whether it should be endorsed by the government.. ๐Ÿ˜›
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    There is a way of hitting corruption which is best described by the Hindi phrase, "Jor ka jhatka dheere se lage". The whistle blowing should be done on small things first, and slowly, very slowly, but surely the intensity should be increased. In that way, the Indi-Leaks will be really undetected in the start, and will be unstoppable when in full force.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I read an article on Rediff News about 'Will the next Wikileaks expose India's Corruption?'

Following are a few experts from the article:

While corruption allegations as collected by the US Embassies in these countries could form a part of these documents, it is likely that considering the large number of documents mentioned by Wikileaks, the documents also cover US Embassy reporting on other subjects.

Previously, Pakistan's relations with the US were the focus of Wikileaks. It now seems to be focusing on India's relations with the US too. It is, therefore, possible that in addition to corruption involving Indian personalities, the documents about India which have reached Wikileaks also relate to India's policies on Afghanistan, Iraq and Iran.

Among the various events relating to Afghanistan, Iraq and Iran in which India figured during this period, four could be sensitive from India's point of view. Firstly, the pressure exerted on the Atal Behari Vajpayee government by the George Bush administration to send Indian troops to Iraq. By July, 2003, the Vajpayee government had decided to say no to Washington DC, but there was a lot of voices in Delhi in favour of accepting the US request.

Secondly, the papers captured by the US intelligence after the occupation of Iraq from the Iraqi government departments showing or corroborating the alleged involvement of Indian politicians in contact with the Saddam Hussein government to acquiring preferential quotas for the import of oil from Iraq (the oil for food scandal).

Thirdly, the pressure exercised by the Bush Administration on the Manmohan Singh Government for voting against Iran in the International Atomic Energy Agency in Vienna. The government of India succumbed to this pressure as a quid pro quo for the Indo-US civil nuclear co-operation agreement of July, 2005.

Fourthly, the analysis and assessment made in the State Department and the Pentagon regarding Pakistani allegations of Indian involvement in Baluchistan.

Is it possible that Wikileaks might have also got hold of diplomatic cables between the US Embassy in New Delhi and Washinton DC on Indian political leaders, bureaucrats and policy-making? Has it also got hold of messages sent by the US Embassy in New Delhi to Washington DC about the escape of Major Rabinder Singh, the mole of the Central Intelligence Agency in the Research & Analysis Wing, to the US in 2004 and about the detection by the Indian counter-intelligence of a US mole in the sensitive National Security Council Secretariat in 2006?

The documents to be released by Wikileaks need to be carefully scrutinized.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Woz is one of the coolest and nicest people on the planet, he's someone that everyone should read or see at least once. Some people call him 'The Wizard Woz'...
i am 3rd B.tech electrical and electronics engineering student,i was interested in purely electrical mini projects.so many of my friends are telling study oriented project is best one for electrical...
Japanese researcher Ryuma Niiyama's robot is quite literally making strides in the field of robotics. His running robot, named Athlete, can only make three to five steps before falling down,...
If you have an account on facebook, you must have noticed the presence of CrazyEngineers on it. If not see the following: Here is the link to the CE Group...
I had made a banner for CrazyEngineers around an year back. For some reason I never uploaded it on CE. I found it today while checking my flash works folder....