Should there be upper age limit for politicians?

Despite of the overwhelming young population under the age of 35, our country is ruled by politicians over the age of 80.
The Supreme Court and high court judges retire at the age of 65 but no age bar set for the rulers of the country.
Do you think that there is a need for a upper age limit to be set for politicians?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Heh heh! 😁 Very good topic, Neha πŸ˜‰ !

Yes - I say 65.

Reasons -

1. One can't beat the experience.
    2. Young politicians can think of better management of country.
    3. An energetic politician can motivate people.
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    Politicians remain politicians, Arabic vision.

All our arab countries leaders be the leaders till they die, that's better for the sake of "democracy".
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Here in India, they continue to haunt us even after they die. Damn!
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Well, as far as I know, there's no age limit for politicians in any part of the world. May be I'm wrong. But I definitely feel that there should be an upper age limit for politicians. I sure like to see it implemented in India. That is very difficult. For starters, we can say that after a certain age is attained, the politician can remain in the ministry as an adviser of sorts, and a new younger person can be appointed for the actual post.
  • Neha
    Neha
    The_Big_K
    Heh heh! 😁 Very good topic, Neha πŸ˜‰ !
    Thanks Biggie!! 😁

Yes - I say 65.

Reasons -

1. One can't beat the experience.
    2. Young politicians can think of better management of country.
    3. An energetic politician can motivate people.
    I agree, fully.
    What we need is a system maintaining balance between the youth and experienced.
    In the context, I read a line somwhere:

"Don't think youth are useless, they are only used less!!"
  • kamskans
    kamskans
    Oh Great topic. But more than Age limit I might ask for a health certificate😁( provided the certificate is fool proof)

Because I have seen many people who are very fit even at 75. So why should we lose experience of such kind because of an age limit?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Guys, stop assuming that this is Indian Engineers Forum.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Yes, it should be 60.
  • gohm
    gohm
    I don't think an age limit is neccessary. If someone is selected by the population to govern, age shouldn't matter. ( Elected officials of course. ) I would hate to loose a good choice because of an arbitrary limit.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    There should be a system as only 4 times the person should participate , inspite he wins or loses only 4 and only 4 will be the choice , thus i say the age of 55 or 60 depending on his year of participating is to be considered.
    wat say guys?
  • Red Hawk
    Red Hawk
    An age limit is definitely required but i dont think if it can be implemented in India or any other country as well.. It is good if a situation like "there is no lower limit for a politician" doesnt happen.. Otherwise, even a 10 year old boy will rule our country for 100 years (1/3rd of that of British).
    I think the suitable upper limit may be 65..
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    of-course there should be!!! no doubts about it
  • Yamini L
    Yamini L
    Upper age limit could very well be set for politicians,but they would even try that and make it a big big issue such that it couldnt be implemented even after decades..such is the greatness of politicians..
  • glenn.13
    glenn.13
    Interesting topic! I would say yes, but I would set the age limit pretty high, at like 65 - 70, because people need to be experienced and have gathered a certain wisdom of life, in my opinion, before they can do a good job as a politician. But obviously open-mindedness and an innovative spirit are equally important and these are more likely to be found in a relatively young person than an old one, in my opinion. So a not all too restrictive upper age limit would probably be a good idea 😁
  • Differential
    Differential
    You cannot seperate a Man's age from him. More aged he is, more distant from life he becomes. This can affect his dicision making. So IMHO, there has to be upper age limit for politicians.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    there are under age limits in India as some compulsary MIN age so no issues here , but it too should be made as such there should be a number of attempts limit also.
  • arunhero99
    arunhero99
    Great. 65. Agreed,We all want an age cap for politicians, or at least on people who hold office of power.
    But we can be sure of one thing: If any motion comes into place to put a cap on age for holding a post of power, then all Indian parties, be it BJP, CONG or CPM, all will be united to oppose it. Just like in the case of office-of-profit bill where everyone was united for it against the then president APJ. So who is going to implement this age cap? or i will rephrase, how are we going to get this done?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    No need of any age bar, nothing is gonna change. Corruption do not see the age, and physical measurments you can count on age always.

-CrazyBoy 😁
  • scorpionmaks
    scorpionmaks
    Definitely there should be an upper age limit but i would further go with health certificate suggestion as well.
    But politicians.. !! I would wonder if they don't juggle with their birth certificates after this imposition πŸ˜’ !!
  • arunhero99
    arunhero99
    crazyboy
    No need of any age bar, nothing is gonna change. Corruption do not see the age, and physical measurments you can count on age always.

-CrazyBoy 😁
    Don't lose hope so easily. this time the average age of contestants has come down by nearly 3 years. that's a positive sign
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    I dont think so age does matter as with age experience comes,and all top-politicians of today whoare today termed as old have started there career when they were quite young even younger than the present lot and had also handled minitries we cant expect radical change from these guys!!!
  • arunhero99
    arunhero99
    Exactly saurav. If these guys don't retire and keep glued to their seats, what will happen to the younger lot of today? They also need a chance.right? just like the older lot got their chance long long ago.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    definately,but for anything to be successfull there should be right mix of youth and experience if youth can bring fresh ideas and zeal then the older lot will bring necessary knowldege and experience to execute them....for me it should be mix of both!!!
  • adinickluv
    adinickluv
    silverscorpion
    Well, as far as I know, there's no age limit for politicians in any part of the world. May be I'm wrong. But I definitely feel that there should be an upper age limit for politicians. I sure like to see it implemented in India. That is very difficult. For starters, we can say that after a certain age is attained, the politician can remain in the ministry as an adviser of sorts, and a new younger person can be appointed for the actual post.
    Hey i too agree with yu..I feel they should not be removed completely from the politics..but yeah they should be kept in the advisory committee..they should start a clause like this..
  • vinod12345madhu
    vinod12345madhu
    there must be a upper age limit for the politicans. these oldies dont do much for the country..
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    adinickluv
    but yeah they should be kept in the advisory committee
    I agree with youπŸ˜€
  • vivianD.850
    vivianD.850
    I am of the opinion that there should be an age limit. My suggestion would be around 65. Others also retire at that age so why not politicians?! I think it is very important that there is the right mix between old and young. Successful politics would not be possible with either having old people or with just having young politicians. As I said it is all about the right mix.
  • deeps31
    deeps31
    Age limit? i dont think it would make much of a difference, the ideology is what matters.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

sir iam looing for project topics related to advance welding and robot welding
Hi all, Is it possible to implement stack in SQL server2000
hi ppl, i am in my final year of my BE ECE and hav got placed in an IT firm. A few weeks back i got an info tht they...
Hello, I am new on this forum and I don't know if I can get some help here. I am a biomechanist, and by background is in mechanical engineering and...
Hello i need help to get this working if its possible, will try explain what i have come to. I have 2 dc motors that I want to control six...