Should Non IT/Computer Engineers Work In Software / IT Jobs?

Should Non IT/Computer Engineers Work In Software / IT Jobs?

Around the beginning of this century, a new trend started in India - engineers from electrical, electronics, civil, structural, mining, chemical, automobile and other non-IT/Computer disciplines started opting for software / programming jobs. The overall situation is this -> An engineer who studies core engineering subjects for 4 years gets a job in IT/Software industry where the work isn't directly related to what his/her engineering studies were about.

Do you think engineers should rather opt for jobs directly related to their disciplines? Will it ensure better utilisation of their talents & skills? Justify your stand.

Update: Winning Argument

I firmly believe that non-IT or non-computer engineering students should work in IT industry. My argument rests on the following points:

1. Interdisciplinary Approach: Technology isn't exclusive to computer science or IT disciplines. Many breakthroughs in technology have come from interdisciplinary work. For example, bioinformatics, a field that merges biology, statistics, and computer science, has led to significant advancements in genomic sequencing and personalized medicine. Similarly, other fields, like civil engineering, mechanical engineering, or environmental science, can also contribute to and benefit from software and IT knowledge.

2. Transferable Skills: Engineering fields, regardless of discipline, cultivate problem-solving, logical thinking, analytical reasoning, and project management skills. These abilities are directly applicable to software/IT jobs. For instance, the skills developed by an electrical engineer in designing circuits can be transferred to computer hardware design or even software algorithm design.

3. Learning Ability: Engineers are trained to learn new systems and adapt to changing circumstances. This adaptability, coupled with a solid foundation in mathematics and logic, often means that engineers from non-IT backgrounds can pick up coding and other IT skills when necessary. Companies like Google and IBM have openly stated that they hire people for their ability to learn and solve complex problems, not just for their existing knowledge.

4. Need for Diversity: Diversity in the workforce brings in different perspectives, leads to more innovative solutions, and helps to build more comprehensive and inclusive products and services. People from different engineering backgrounds will approach a problem in a variety of ways. Having a team of only computer engineers could create a certain type of groupthink that overlooks potential solutions.

5. Proven Successes: There are numerous successful examples of individuals from non-IT backgrounds who have made significant contributions to the IT field. For instance, Elon Musk, who has degrees in physics and economics, co-founded PayPal and leads SpaceX and Tesla, companies at the forefront of software and IT innovation. Similarly, Tim Berners-Lee, the inventor of the World Wide Web, studied physics.

6. The Nature of IT Jobs: Many IT jobs, such as project management, systems analysis, and UX/UI design, do not necessarily require deep computer science knowledge. Instead, they require an understanding of technology, people, and business—a combination that non-IT engineers, with their problem-solving skills and diverse backgrounds, can often provide.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Alright folks! Let your comments flood in. Stick to the topic and make points that advance the discussion. Off topic comments will be removed.

Note: The debate ends sharp at 4:00 PM. Any replies after the debate is over won't be eligible for prize.
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    Non IT engineers are engineers. They have a kind of aptitude which is need to work in an organization with some technical wit and some managerial skills. Well,diversity is always considered a unique point in an individual. So it doesnt matter whether IT or NON IT, being an engineer matters. Core engineering people also bring laurels to the company.😀
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    Core Engineering students also learn softwares and databases. So it is not much a matter of concern for them to go into that particular field.
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    After all when you get your jobs, you are trained for a month or so on a particular tool of your stream. And that is what matters.
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    A very good example is the admin of CE. He himself is an electrical engineer. So a core engineer. But he is not with schneider or havells or ABB . He has his own start up and CEO of this portal where you require coding and all IT stuff.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Maybe you should wait for others to join in the debate an express their views 😀 . Looks like we've a very low turn out as compared to the last debate.
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    In my opinion there shouldn’t be any obligation for IT/ Comp. engg. In software or IT fields b’coz it is the experience & the subject knowledge that counts more than anything.There are many who have done ENGG. In the respective fields but have nill knowledge about specific software. But the one with the non-IT background are much more dilligent & familiar with the software building & coding.
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Maybe you should wait for others to join in the debate an express their views 😀 . Looks like we've a very low turn out as compared to the last debate.
    😴 Everyone is sleeping I guess. 😘
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    Morever in Engg practical knowledge is the key. So the one with practical knowledge particularly of NON-IT background is worth of doing that then it should be a +ve welcome.
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    divya nair
    In my opinion there shouldn’t be any obligation for IT/ Comp. engg. In software or IT fields b’coz it is the experience & the subject knowledge that counts more than anything.There are many who have done ENGG. In the respective fields but have nill knowledge about specific software. But the one with the non-IT background are much more dilligent & familiar with the software building & coding.
    True.
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    ENGG. Is justn’t limited to just for the one who has specifically done B.E., B.TECH or diploma.If a person is good at java or oracle & belongs to a non-IT background that doesn’t means he isn’t worth of that job or the qualification of the subject knowledge thet the company is asking for.
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    A Company requires skilled individuals not just graduates who have completed 4 years of ENGG. Without possessing the quality to be recruited for.Let the best get the opportunity.I don’t think coding is just confined to IT/CS engg.
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    To give another example- Mr.Yashwant Kanetkar (the C guru ) is a mechanical engineer actually but he teaches C,C++,JAVA,ORACLE to thousands of students every year. 😎
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    divya nair
    A Company requires skilled individuals not just graduates who have completed 4 years of ENGG. Without possessing the quality to be recruited for.Let the best get the opportunity.I don’t think coding is just confined to IT/CS engg.
    You are a bit short on this one as there are some areas where we need pure IT people but yes even CORE engineering students can accomplish it well but take a bit of time to learn.
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    Much was is said that IT/CS engg. candidates are outlayed by other non-core candidates which triggers insecurity among them the only reason is the required skill which they are missing.
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    Do
    divya nair
    Much was is said that IT/CS engg. candidates are outlayed by other non-core candidates which triggers insecurity among them the only reason is the required skill which they are missing.
    Do you believe as an EnC engineering student,you should also get placed into IT ?
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    Instead of complaining about the availability of jobs to the non-IT ONE SHOULD BE POTENTIALLY SKILLED IN THAT PARTICULAR AREA.Acquiring lot of knowledge without application of it is the major hindrance .
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    yupppppp. some companies in our clg combinely take students of it/cs/et . B'COZ they are good at coding stuff.
  • ursplfrnd
    ursplfrnd
    Yes , definitely. A non IT student can work in an IT company . A bright chemical engineering student is always better than an average computer science student. That's what IT companies are thinking too. An intelligent non IT student can learn things quickly than an average comp science student. At the end of the day the ultimate goal is to complete the given task on given time and earn enough money. Coding is not a rocket science. These days programming is taught in school. So there is no NON IT or IT anyone who can write coding can opt for IT jobs.
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    ursplfrnd
    Yes , definitely. A non IT student can work in an IT company . A bright chemical engineering student is always better than an average computer science student. That's what IT companies are thinking too. An intelligent non IT student can learn things quickly than an average comp science student. At the end of the day the ultimate goal is to complete the given task on given time and earn enough money. Coding is not a rocket science. These days programming is taught in school. So there is no NON IT or IT anyone who can write coding can opt for IT jobs.
    Agreed.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Hey friends, I believe we are shifting away from debate topic.

We shouldn't try to prove that the engineer from other discipline may work as a better software professional or not. Per me, first of all an engineer should try to get a opportunity in his own engineering stream in which he gained knowledge for 3+ years.

-CB
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    Well nowadays owing to the competition skill is required b'coz & multitalent students with the knowledge of core language as well as coding & software knowledge are given more chances.
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    crazyboy

We shouldn't try to prove that the engineer from other discipline may work as a better software professional or not. Per me, first of all an engineer should try to get a opportunity in his own engineering stream in which he gained knowledge for 3+ years.

-CB
    He gets an oppurtunity my friend. But the main concern for him is the job location. IT companies are in cities like bangalore,mumbai,pune,hyderabad. While if you get placed in ONGC you have to float on the arabian sea in the scorching heat (TROMBAY)
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    divya nair
    yupppppp. some companies in our clg combinely take students of it/cs/et . B'COZ they are good at coding stuff.
    No companies take student because they are bright student (to be engineers), not bright coder.

Just imagine, companies think that a student who performs well in other engineering stream can be trained in computers easily, if that student will opt for the same engineering stream job, he need to waste his already gained knowledge. He can just learn more and more and perform much better.
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    As far as things are considered if a non-it background student builds a software which is much better that of available in the market won't the company buy it?????????. ofcourse they will becuse they want to churn out the best.
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    crazyboy

-CB
    And if you are unaware of the fact that many of the core companies are not recruiting direct graduates lately. They believe in competitive exams like GATE. So there is another loophole.
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    K
    crazyboy
    No companies take student because they are bright student (to be engineers), not bright coder.

Just imagine, companies think that a student who performs well in other engineering stream can be trained in computers easily, if that student will opt for the same engineering stream job, he need to waste his already gained knowledge. He can just learn more and more and perform much better.
    Knowledge is never wasted. There are applications of each and every field and subject in some other subject.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    AbhinavS
    He gets an oppurtunity my friend. But the main concern for him is the job location. IT companies are in cities like bangalore,mumbai,pune,hyderabad. While if you get placed in ONGC you have to float on the arabian sea in the scorching heat (TROMBAY)
    Is that place is too bad to work for?
    If answer is yes, and no engineer would like to work there, how will we get the oil, petrol and gas?

If you say only those people will work in core companies that doesn't get job, that is even bad news for us. Because those folks can risk our lives, isn't it?

-CB
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    Demand is up for the elligible one not just for graduates.
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    I think the topic concentrates on working in IT industry or not. It never said what a person will do when he reaches the IT company. So lets get back to track.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    AbhinavS
    K

Knowledge is never wasted. There are applications of each and every field and subject in some other subject.
    In Software engineering do you get a chance to choose the subject of your choice?
    I have never seen that in my real life experience.

-CB
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    O
    crazyboy
    Is that place is too bad to work for?
    If answer is yes, and no engineer would like to work there, how will we get the oil, petrol and gas?

If you say only those people will work in core companies that doesn't get job, that is even bad news for us. Because those folks can risk our lives, isn't it?

-CB
    Its not a bad place to work. But social security and family life are some aspects to be looked upon.
  • ursplfrnd
    ursplfrnd
    crazyboy

-CB
    In my view four years of engineering , it may be any branch , student will get to know on what he has command or interest on. So if a non IT student found programming or computer science subjects which he has in his academics more interesting than his core subjects , then there is nothing wrong in developing the required skills and getting into an IT job.
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    crazyboy
    In Software engineering do you get a chance to choose the subject of your choice?
    I have never seen that in my real life experience.

-CB
    Then you are talking about the person who just wants to learn from his syllabus. Why cant I start studying Structures or start exploring the applications of software in structural engg ?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    AbhinavS
    I think the topic concentrates on working in IT industry or not. It never said what a person will do when he reaches the IT company. So lets get back to track.
    Sorry my dear friend, topic is ...
    Do you think engineers should rather opt for jobs directly related to their disciplines? Will it ensure better utilisation of their talents & skills?
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    The topic is : Knowledge gained over 4 years or IT job ? What will you choose ?
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    & if that elligibility is in a non-it background candidate with core knowledge of coding as well as software that is surely beneficial to the company as well.
    One more reason of it is that nowadays hardware+software knowledge is a great combination & companies are looking for it the example being my clg. where companies recruit students having knowledge of java, c++ as well.
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    crazyboy
    Sorry my dear friend, topic is ...
    Yes. That is what my last post says.
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    divya nair
    & if that elligibility is in a non-it background candidate with core knowledge of coding as well as software that is surely beneficial to the company as well.
    One more reason of it is that nowadays hardware+software knowledge is a great combination & companies are looking for it the example being my clg. where companies recruit students having knowledge of java, c++ as well.
    You are going out of the track. Try not to concentrate on companies requirement. State what you feel.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    ursplfrnd
    In my view four years of engineering , it may be any branch , student will get to know on what he has command or interest on. So if a non IT student found programming or computer science subjects which he has in his academics more interesting than his core subjects , then there is nothing wrong in developing the required skills and getting into an IT job.
    More interesting?

In Civil, Structural, mining, electrical, mechanical... all core branches there is hardly one subject related to computer science in 4 years, and remaining 40 papers are of core engineering.

Out of all 40 do you think it became a trend that all the students like that one odd subject?

Don't lie to your self, its money and luxury that's acting like a mirage for a newbie engineer now a days
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hint : Everyone is free to interpret the topic in their own way. But make sure that we don't turn this discussion into a fish market 😀
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    THE ultimate conclusion is that no branch or stream is just confined to itself. Recent inventions shows that how different streams are combined together to give a result. SO. every field is going to get a competition majorly in the coming days it/cs branch & in the upcoming days other streams too.
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    crazyboy
    More interesting?

In Civil, Structural, mining, electrical, mechanical... all core branches there is hardly one subject related to computer science in 4 years, and remaining 40 papers are of core engineering.

Out of all 40 do you think it became a trend that all the students like that one odd subject?

Don't lie to your self, its money and luxury that's acting like a mirage for a newbie engineer now a days
    In my branch i.e Industrial Engineering I have one programming or database subject in each of the semesters and I am in love with C++, Systems Engineering etc.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    My point is, there is nothing wrong for a core engineering student to work in Software field if he doesn't get a opportunity in his core field. However first aim should be to look for the job in the core branch for which he/she had already invested four years and gained so much knowledge.

My request is, "This world is still looking for engineers who can do wonders with their engineering skills, don't go just for money till the point you have opportunities."
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    divya nair
    THE ultimate conclusion is that no branch or stream is just confined to itself. Recent inventions shows that how different streams are combined together to give a result. SO. every field is going to get a competition majorly in the coming days it/cs branch & in the upcoming days other streams too.
    My seniors are doing great at INFOCEPTS which is a start up of students from NIT Nagpur. The recruiters are willing to hire more students from Industrial Engineering due to their willingness to work and learn. So completely in support with your point. 👍
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    exactly it's the money game all over . & the company itself annouces high salary to the one who is much different & has something exclusive to offer .SO it's all about boosting the resume & impressing the entrepreneur.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    AbhinavS
    In my branch i.e Industrial Engineering I have one programming or database subject in each of the semesters and I am in love with C++, Systems Engineering etc.
    Ratio is still 1:7 😁

Still, If you have so many subjects for software and if you opt out for software industry, nothing wrong in that.

In most of the core engineering streams, we do not have so many computer programming subjects. This debate is for those folks.

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Here's a question to all the participants :-

Do you think the 4 years of technical knowledge & knowhow is not put to full use if the engineer opts to work in entirely different field?

Answer in no more than 50 words.
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    crazyboy
    My point is, there is nothing wrong for a core engineering student to work in Software field if he doesn't get a opportunity in his core field. However first aim should be to look for the job in the core branch for which he/she had already invested four years and gained so much knowledge.

My request is, "This world is still looking for engineers who can do wonders with their engineering skills, don't go just for money till the point you have opportunities."
    You are correct in the sense that its not wrong to choose a career in IT. But as you know it had become a trend to push your child into engineering. Many parents just want their ward to be an engineer and such students when admitted to core subject courses may flunk or get disturbed. So actually it should not be put in such a way that he should opt for the core jobs. He may have interest in Infosys,Wipro IT etc. Its a persons choice altogether.
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    My batchmates are going for extra apart from skilled in web page making, c, c++, android they are going for php e.t.c. & let me make u aware there coding is much better & during the recent mock interview held in our clg one of my friend got the highest marks in c++ beating the fellow cs,it students being belonging to ec background now isn't that interesting.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    AbhinavS
    My seniors are doing great at INFOCEPTS which is a start up of students from NIT Nagpur. The recruiters are willing to hire more students from Industrial Engineering due to their willingness to work and learn. So completely in support with your point. 👍
    Friends the topic is NOT that, "a non computer science student can or can not excel in software world"

The topic is should he directly look for computer world or should he/she try to give a shot to job in core engineering branch.

I am always with you that a bright student can excel anywhere, if so then why not in the area where 4 years are already invested.

-CB
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    AbhinavS
    You are correct in the sense that its not wrong to choose a career in IT. But as you know it had become a trend to push your child into engineering. Many parents just want their ward to be an engineer and such students when admitted to core subject courses may flunk or get disturbed. So actually it should not be put in such a way that he should opt for the core jobs. He may have interest in Infosys,Wipro IT etc. Its a persons choice altogether.
    Should we close the core engineering branches, if everyone aims, dreams for being a software engineering??

-CB
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    yes 4 years of enginnering isn't put to full use the reason being all the candidates are switching to recruitment norms rather than core knowledge which sometimes lead to their downfall.
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    Kaustubh Katdare

Do you think the 4 years of technical knowledge & knowhow is not put to full use if the engineer opts to work in entirely different field?

Definitely it is not put to full use but we find applications based on our knowledge in that field. An industrial engineer may optimize a software using operations research. An electrical engineer working with IT company may prove helpful with the electrical fittings. Similarly every branch student can be of great help if he has the complete knowledge of his branch. You cannot put everything into effect at the same point of time. So not all of the technical knowledge but, yes a part of it is always put to use whether you work in your own field or some different field.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Participants Notice: The debate ends is about 10 minutes from now. In the last few minutes, I'll ask everyone to summarise the discussion. 😀
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    AbhinavS
    Not sure from which college you are.

Just ask to yourself, what is the ratio of alumni or your college that has went to software vs core jobs? and who succeeds the most?

-CB
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    crazyboy
    Should we close the core engineering branches, if everyone aims, dreams for being a software engineering??

-CB
    You cannot do that. The infrastructure of an IT company is by a civil engineer. But point to be noted my friend, this civil engineer can work on softwares for his prototype of the infrastructure which could be another IT job for him.
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    why not merging electronics with coding, mechanical & coding which is seen in robotics nowadays world is switching to software isn't it so it is the interest of the student that takes the student to opt a particular field & nothing is wrong in that if one could excel in that.
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    crazyboy
    Not sure from which college you are.

Just ask to yourself, what is the ratio of alumni or your college that has went to software vs core jobs? and who succeeds the most?

-CB
    Dint get you completely.
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    Most of the students are coming meagre for earning not for knowledge so if a company is demanding coding tey will surely switch to that stream .
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thank you for your participation, folks!

Please summarise their point of view in not more than 50 words.
  • ursplfrnd
    ursplfrnd
    crazyboy
    More interesting?

I agree with your last line. But inspite of spending 4 years learning 40 core subjects if they are again showing interest in joining in IT jobs by learning Coding then that states that they arent happy with what they have learnt in engineering. Reasons for it can be anything like less salary , stressful work , their work might be out doors most of the time e.t.c
    IT jobs may seem luxurious but ask the weight of a fresher after a year of his joining. First thing he would do is to look at his belly. Any IT jobs are not stress free. People might say i am on bench or i dont have work but not all are like that. People work late night sometimes they stay until midnights. So you cant say its because of luxuary or money people are tending towards IT jobs. Without skill no one can sustain.
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    what iam saying is that nowadays coding is used n combined with different sectors of engg. to yield better results.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Kaustubh Katdare

Yes, absolutely.

Every engineering institute in India or world had opened the different engineering branches with a thought/idea that that engineers from the respective branch would do justice / wonders in their field. They never had the aimed that all the students from all the branches would become the CEO of a software engineering.

Out 4 years of engineering is worth if we can succeed in the field that is taught to us in 4 golden years.

-CB
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    IT DEPENDS UPON THE INTEREST & WILLINGNESS OF THE CANDIDATE TO SWITCH TO CORE OR CODING PLATFORM .OFCOURSE ONE WOULD OPT FOR BETTER & IF BETTER IS ACHEIVED WITH MERGING THAT THEN THEIR IS NOTHING WRONG TO THAT . IF THE APPLICATION OF CORE WITH THAT OF SOFTWARE IS A SURE SHOT SUCCESS MANTRA THEN READILY ONE WILL GO FOR IT.
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thank you for your participation, folks!

Please summarise their point of view in not more than 50 words.
    Its upon me where I need to go. If I have self motivation and I believe that I can work efficiently in an IT company I will definitely opt for it. Moreover for me the package and place of work matters. Yes I learned something else for 4 years and went to IT,but at the end of the day what matters is -HOW WELL I PERFORMED THERE ! It is thus my conclusion that you need not be an IT professional or graduate to opt for IT company. You have to be an engineer. You have to have that attitude and a keen interest in technology. In fact B.tech is Bachelor of technology. It doesn't mention the branch.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thanks everyone! This debate is now over. Results will be declared on Monday! 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    NOTE
    Posts After This Message Won't Be Considered For The Prize.
    The Debate May Continue...
  • ursplfrnd
    ursplfrnd
    It would have been more interesting to know the views if the debate is on 'Engineering students opting for bank jobs and BPO jobs' along with the current debate. May be some other debate 😀
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    Anyone can opt for anything in life!It is their ado how they achieve it.I value "Autodidacticism".Anyone is free to learn anything in their life at any point of time.So,it clearly evinces my point.

I just want to conclude-
    If someone wants to do it,can do it,must do it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, after the successful CE Weekend Debate #1, we're ready with our next debate. The details of the event as follows - TOPIC​ ​"Should Non IT/Computer Engineers Work In Software...
Micromax's Canvas phone series is definitely cracking it up and good in Indian smartphones market. Remember the last time, when Micromax A116 Canvas HD got sold out in 15 minutes?...
It is amazing to see the pace of research happening in the field of batteries and chargers. Given that 'going compact' is our anthem and cellphones or handhelds the present...
Amazon's Kindle has arrived in India via the popular digital goods distributor, Redington as its distribution partner. BGR reports that the agreement between Amazon & Redington was signed a few...
Laser illuminated microscope now allows researchers to see objects that are only 10nm wide. The super-resolution optical microscope does not require fluorescent dyes and it's being claimed that this advancement...