Should India Offer Asylum To Snowden?

Wikileaks has applied to India to seek asylum for the man who exposed the governments - Mr. Edward Snowden. Snowden has acknowledged that he leaked the details of the United States surveillance program to the media. Other countries include Russia, South America, EU and China.

Wikileaks is actively seeking an asylum for Snowden and Ecuador is currently considering the request. Wikileaks has also released a statement that points at Obama administration trying to block his efforts.

I wonder India's might and capability to offer Asylum to India. Indian government has been under the International pressures for long. I doubt Indian government will even consider offering an asylum to Snowden. But the question is - should India offer an Asylum to Snowden (and create history)?

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Doesn't India have the Central Monitoring System, similar to PRISM?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash
    Doesn't India have the Central Monitoring System, similar to PRISM?
    It's under development at the moment and is expected to be rolled out by November or December. So far the government's shown great interest in making the Canadian Blackberry to setup servers in India and is now following Skype, Google, Microsoft and Facebook to setup servers locally so that the security agencies can have direct access to the data.

I think the question is more about the beliefs the governments have. Why'd India really risk its ties with the US for the sake of granting asylum to Snowden? They've nothing to 'gain' and the politicians have zero self-pride.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I searched for him to know more about him.I personally think I will support him and his effort.But if i consider India's side I will not offer asylum to snowden.As Itmay turn US against us.I t may sound good to think that India may offer asylum but reality checks here.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    You said it, politicians have nothing to gain and we lack pride! In my view that guy is a hero, but I doubt if there is a single politician in India who understands the importance of what he has done. And India is working on their own monitoring system, so why would they give shelter to someone who is going directly against it!
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I think India is in weakest situation in this matter. There is negative political will in government. I bet 90% politician don't even know what's the matter.

Ask Rahul Gandhi, he will give some of his expertise in this matter👎

Has anyone read this news: The Hindu- India has to repay $172 billion debt by March 2014 - The Hindu
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    #-Link-Snipped-# applied for asylum
    • Austria
    • Bolivia
    • Brazil
    • China (Snowden already been whistle-blower in china but could be a worth shot against US)
    • Cuba
    • Finland
    • France
    • Germany
    • India
    • Italy
    • Ireland
    • The Netherlands
    • Nicaragua
    • Norway
    • Poland
    • Russia
    • Spain
    • Switzerland
    • Venezuela
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    #-Link-Snipped-#, can you update your post with information whether the above countries have an extradition treaty with the US?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Reading about this news, I found out that External affairs minister Salman Khurshid on Tuesday defended the vast US surveillance programme of phone logs and Internet data revealed by intelligence leaker Edward Snowden. It seems that the right motto here should be - 'When asked to bend, India crawled.'
    They actually go to the extent of DEFENDING US who is spying on Indian citizens.

On the other hand, why does Snowden request for asylum in India. He can enter from any where and stay comfortably with voter ID card and PAN card for few hundred rupees and of course AADHAR card. 👎
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Flash news : India denied snowden request to asylum on India .
    source:NDTV
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think the question is more about the beliefs the governments have. Why'd India really risk its ties with the US for the sake of granting asylum to Snowden? They've nothing to 'gain' and the politicians have zero self-pride.
    Why did India keep it's mouth shut when private data of several Indians where stolen by American firms in the first place

It is not a question of whether India will provide asylum or not.

Being a NAM nation India MUST PROVIDE asylum if wikileaks extends a request. That is a way of showing the world that India is still the worthy Leader of NAM nations

Else In my opinion this will eventually pose as if India is America's puppet
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    ianoop
    #-Link-Snipped-# applied for asylum
    • Austria
    • Bolivia
    • Brazil
    • China (Snowden already been whistle-blower in china but could be a worth shot against US)
    • Cuba
    • Finland
    • France
    • Germany
    • India
    • Italy
    • Ireland
    • The Netherlands
    • Nicaragua
    • Norway
    • Poland
    • Russia
    • Spain
    • Switzerland
    • Venezuela
    Surprisingly all countries are in list of List Of United States Extradition TreatiesList Of United States Extradition Treaties except China and Russia.

My view: It's not easy to get asylum in any country, no country would like to jeopardize relation with US . He should become ghost for a while.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ianoop
    He should become ghost for a while.
    Or maybe he should fake death like kenneth Lay ?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    News! Venezuela's president Nicolas Maduro stated during a parade that it has rejected US requests for extradition and will offer Snowden the political and humanitarian asylum.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    AbraKaDabra
    News! Venezuela's president Nicolas Maduro stated during a parade that it has rejected US requests for extradition and will offer Snowden the political and humanitarian asylum.
    I heard that news too. Venezuela can provide asylum. BRAVE move👍

I wonder after this incident anyone wants to be whistle blower or do the right thing against government.
    In India also, Anna movement demanded for whistleblower bill. Does this bill help by any means when whole govt and politicians are corrupt. ☕
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Whistle blowers are silently closed up and hid from the surface of the earth They do their work and suddenly they vanish from the screen completely

A few months back it was Hazare everywhere But where is he now??

Not even a single channel is covering his moves now That states that the Drama of the whistle blower is done away with
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Snowden's rights need to be defended. America seems to have two sets of International Laws. One for itself and one for the rest of the world. Imagine what their reaction would have been, if another country was caught snooping over their conversation. It is the host country's obligation to protect the rights of the embassies and not sniff around behind their backs.
    While on one hand America has been critical of China and Korea for not respecting the rights of Individuals, it has been blatantly doing the same. Snowden exposed this hypocrisy and his rights need to be protected. And India, since it claims to be a democratic country that respects human rights, needs to step up and put its money where its mouth is.
    But by defending America's actions and declining Snowden's request, the country has just told the world that it lacks balls and a strong will.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Most Eligible bachelor cum hacker.

Latest news:
    Snowden has received a marriage proposal of sorts in a tweet allegedly from Anna Chapman, the glamorous redhead who was one of 10 Russian agents arrested in the United States and deported in a Cold war-style spy swap in 2010.
    👍
    Source:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    So, is he heading to Venezuela?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash
    So, is he heading to Venezuela?
    Russian newspapers have reported that he's indeed considering moving to Veneuzela. I think Bolivia too offered an asylum to him. They've surely got the balls to go against America, boy!

I wonder what will happen to this guy for blowing out whistle agains the super power!
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I wonder India's might and capability to offer Asylum to India. Indian government has been under the International pressures for long. I doubt Indian government will even consider offering an asylum to Snowden. But the question is - should India offer an Asylum to Snowden (and create history)?
    It should. I am afraid it will not.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Missed the discussion.

India needs America's Uranium. India will not.

India should not have sign that agreement. Anyway, It is over and now India has to say Yes whatever America says. That sounds tough.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Sada
    India needs America's Uranium. India will not.
    Have you heard about the Uranium Scam yet? It's the US that needs India's Uranium.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Have you heard about the Uranium Scam yet? It's the US that needs India's Uranium.
    Were you talking about that Nepalese businessman Uranium offer scam which got into the news this year or some other?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Tapping into one of the fastest smartphone markets, Japanese internet enterprise Line Corporation recently announced the launch its popular free-calling and messaging mobile app LINE in India, and its brand...
I was always puzzled to see many videos in youtube to show how to start a car without key , opening door , etc.I want to know whether there had...
Guys I am stuck with an IEEE paper but I am through with most of the topics and I am running out of money in finding a lot I heard...
Samsung's 85" beast, the 85S9 Ultra HD TV has been launched in India with a brain-blasting price tag of Rs. 27 lakh only. The display fanatics may recall that the...
As a resident of Neyveli I am aware of the situation here .But I want to know what will be the public's view on it as NLC was working in...