Should India Be Proud Of Achievements Of NRIs?

Be it Vinod Khosla, Sunita Williams, LN Mittal, Sundar Pichai - we've been celebrating the success of the Non Resident Indians. Do you think India is justified in the achievement of the NRIs?

On one hand - NRIs are the people who might have migrated from this country in search of better opportunities or a better lifestyle. Or even born to parents who migrated decades ago. They're 'Indian' in their looks and that could be the only connection we may have with them. But that could be the reason for us to be proud of their achievements abroad.

On the other hand - These people have been contributing to the growth and success of other country. They may send money back to home country; but should that be the reason we take pride in their achievements? Their contribution to other countries may help grow the might of those countries and make them technically more superior than ours.

I hope I've put both 'for' and 'against' points well. What's your take on the subject?

Replies

• Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Technically they should be proud of them only on one ground. A Human brother made a useful development. An equal amount of pride when we see Google come up with something new or any other foreign national for the regard. They have moved out of this country and neither do they have any ties back home, they are technically Americans or British etc.

But a person who had to migrate under conditions, still loves his homeland equally, does regular visits, contributes to the nation, helps everyone back home and is even ready to come back if needed, deserves the pride. For others who were just born and brought up in other countries, has no ties to India should not be over signified.

For example, Ruchi Sanghvi who was in the core initial team of Facebook, came back and owns a startup in India when she wanted is someone who fits the pride category. Sunita Williams doesn't since she has nothing much to do with India.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    There are only few NRI's who really work for the development of India and many of them may oppose my view but the fact is that most of them who gets high pay tends to become a US or any other citizen and live a life to fulfill their social needs.
    On the other side, some of the people were forced to leave India to work because of their low economy and work hard to feed their family necessity.
    My view: NRI's should not be over rated as most of them work mainly gor self upliftment.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Drawing inspiration from nature, engineers and computer science researchers from the Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS) and the Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering at Harvard University...
HP India has launched its two new tablet brothers - HP Slate 6 and Slate 7 in the country today. As was promised last month, Hewlett-Packard has launched the new...
PRAGYAA, A National Level Technical Extravaganza, With a motto of promoting Technology, Scientific thinking, Innovation and an awareness about society. It’s an ethos of a team, a tale of gradual...
hi... am a BCA graduate willing to do certificate course which should help my career... my question is, which course is helpful software testing or oracle.... please suggest me...
Content publishers and website owners across the web have been facing the issue of broken links over the last few years. A new algorithm developed by computer engineers from University...