Should I get a Ph.D.?

Here are some things to keep in mind when making this decision:
i. A Ph.D. is not for everyone!
ii. A Ph.D requires 6 years on average. The opportunity cost is high.
iii. Do not even think of applying for a Ph.D. if you have not tried research and/or teaching
and found that you like at least one of those. (Note: the Ph.D. program will require mostly
research, not teaching, but a love of teaching may help motivate you to get through, so that
you can go on to be a teacher. I have seen many examples of this.)
iv. A Ph.D. requires a particular type of personality. You need to be someone who is obsessed
with figuring out a problem. You need to have tremendous perseverance and be capable of
hard work. You need to be willing to do whatever it takes to solve your problem (e.g., take 5
math classes, learn a whole new area like databases, rewrite the whole kernel, etc.).
v. You need to know why you want a Ph.D. You need to have vision and ideas and you need to
be able to express yourself.

vi. Obviously, many people are still unsure straight after a B.A. I was one of them, so I understand.
For such people working in a research lab or in an industrial lab which involves doing research
for a few years will help them decide. If you are unsure, I highly recommend working for a
few years before starting a Ph.D. Do not apply to graduate school until you are sure you know
what you want.
Author : Mor Harchol-Balter, faculty at CMU.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    In India - people would opt for Ph.D because it makes sure you get a job. I agree with the last line in the quote 😀
  • avii
    avii
    The_Big_K
    In India - people would opt for Ph.D because it makes sure you get a job. I agree with the last line in the quote 😀
    Oh is it ? I didn't know this was the case in India. I thought very dedicated ones join research since it would atleast require 5 years.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello buddies. i have a suspect in my mind whether i could have any career in robotics, being a computer science engineering student. if there are any possibilities , could...
Wordpress bloggers rejoice. The latest version of the most popular blogging software - WP 3.5, called ELVIN is now out. The latest version brings you a completely revamped Gallery and...
We've all been guilty of this at some point, no? 😉 Works with Hotmail as well. And also people who use Internet Explorer. And also (now) Blackberry users... And also......
Any info about his guys heard from a friend and I have zero knowledge about this
Apart from having fun, what else is Kaleidoscope used for? Is there any scientific purpose?