Should I choose Biomedical Engineering?

...Thats a question that pops in the mind of a guy or a girl who likes Biology, but is passionate about Engineering.

Then, Biomedical Engineering is the "Golden Mean" for you! 😁

I hope this video helps you in deciding if this is the career for you...

[video=youtube;d3kqcM7ynJo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3kqcM7ynJo[/video]
(Video Courtesy: EDU411)

Replies

• aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    People do use Google for good!(Most of the times their own good)
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Bio medical Hmmm...
    Some of my good friends are in the field. While some are planning to go. They are doing good. Biomedical branch has the greatest scope if I am not wrong.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    It is too vast and diversified field. Some of it will not require any knowledge of biology. Electro-medical, for example, is mainly electronics including software development and expert systems.
    It is in the area of biomedical devices that engineering and biology have to be integrated. Devices like artificial heart valves, artificial joints and such devices involve considerable mechanical engineering design, testing and production. Devices for heart lung support require a lot of chemical engineering. Materials science is all pervading. One has to work with biologists, clinicians from diverse specialities, veterinarians and engineers of various disciplines.

However, it is indeed a fascinating field in which one can have the satisfaction of helping human beings directly. Though there is the burden that an improperly designed system can cause harm.

Bioramani
  • stevesingh
    stevesingh
    #-Link-Snipped-# is a very vast field and mostly you have to do research work . You may have to do M.S or phd to increase your employability chances .It is also being considered as among the most promising careers in next decade .
  • North Star
    North Star
    bioramani
    It is too vast and diversified field. Some of it will not require any knowledge of biology. Electro-medical, for example, is mainly electronics including software development and expert systems.
    It is in the area of biomedical devices that engineering and biology have to be integrated. Devices like artificial heart valves, artificial joints and such devices involve considerable mechanical engineering design, testing and production. Devices for heart lung support require a lot of chemical engineering. Materials science is all pervading. One has to work with biologists, clinicians from diverse specialities, veterinarians and engineers of various disciplines.

However, it is indeed a fascinating field in which one can have the satisfaction of helping human beings directly. Though there is the burden that an improperly designed system can cause harm.

Bioramani
    That's a very complete outline of this amazing field. What areas of biomedical engineering are more close to electronic engineering. Things to do with medical electronic devices. I'm looking for ideas about final year project. Since, I'm currently in Electronic/Electrical Engineering. I'd like to give my degree a twist to medical side by the help of this project. Thank you.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    North Star
    That's a very complete outline of this amazing field. What areas of biomedical engineering are more close to electronic engineering. Things to do with medical electronic devices. I'm looking for ideas about final year project. Since, I'm currently in Electronic/Electrical Engineering. I'd like to give my degree a twist to medical side by the help of this project. Thank you.
    Pacemakers, defibrillators or retinal imaging systems are fertile areas for portable electro-medical applications. Mobile health and body worn monitors are also useful.
    Mechatronics for robotic limbs or motorized brain conttrolled wheel chairs for the severely handicapped is gaining attention. #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Thank you for your amazing responses CEans. This thread is being really helpful for a lot of enthusiastic Bio-medical career aspirants.
  • North Star
    North Star
    Pacemakers, defibrillators or retinal imaging systems are fertile areas for portable electro-medical applications. Mobile health and body worn monitors are also useful.
    Mechatronics for robotic limbs or motorized brain conttrolled wheel chairs for the severely handicapped is gaining attention. #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#[/quote]

Thank you very much indeed. Seems like I've got a lot of search to do before deciding the right one. Thanks again for your suggestions.
  • North Star
    North Star
    Thank you very much Bioramani for your kind advice.
    Is there anything that can be done using a PIC or Atmel micro-controller to design any biomedical device. All this for final year bachelors degree project with limited budget. Thanks
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

The trouble is that I am not an electromedical engineer. Mine is all artificial internal organs. Essentially passive devices like heart valves, blood vessels, and joint prostheses involving bio materials. Let me see if I can post something soon.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i have a blog on the Wordpress and now i want to transfer my all old post to my new Blog on the Blogspot. for that i had export my...
Everyone wants money.Some earns through their hard work while other tries to find every possible easiest way by hook or by crook .Some even get them involve in criminal activities...
I am planing to replace few variable gear motors using for the conveyor drive systems,with slightly higher rated motors with a direct chain link to the conceyor drive shaft and...
Today i was studying MD5 algorithm.I have developed a program that will encrypt any code ie previously in text form But Now problem is ,Since MD5 is one way ie...
We published following posts on VoiCE during the last week. - 6 Formal Email Writing Tips For Engineering Students - CrazyEngineers Do You Know Why We Remove Links To Ebooks...