Should betting be legalised in India?

It looks like a lot of people believe that legalising betting and putting up 'tax' on the income made through betting would turn out to be beneficial. CBI direct Sinha has recently said that "there is no harm in legalising betting in India".

Just day before yesterday at the gym, I overheard a conversation between two friends - who apparently were discussing how much money to bet on Sachin's last test. While I guessed they were under 20, the figures they were talking were way about Rs. 20k. They seemed to be impressed by one of their common friends who had made over Rs. 6 lakh by betting on IPL cricket matches.

While I felt that what they were doing was completely wrong; irrespective of what the legal framework thinks of betting; I'm curious to know what do CEans feel about legalisation of betting in India?

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Betting or putting money on horse racing is gaining more money uselessly. By making it legal government will earn money in the terms of taxes but people will be spoiled.

Why will I work very hard ,start some company to earn few millions, instead i will put all my saving into betting each day and some day I will hit the jackpot. People will have this idea.

I dont think we need to support betting!!

I read yesterday in the news paper that Rahul Dravid said we need to make betting legal. I havent read the article entirely but my idea is we should not.

It becomes like smoking and drinking, government has put taxes on that , it advertises its bad for health etc. but it earns lot of money and people smoke and drink everyday. Its not a good idea at all.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    It should be legalised. It s not about gov earning money. Its about keeping a tab on betting and taking various measures to control it . Powder tobacco is banned (ghutka) but people still chew tobacco by illegal means and people who do it go scott-free.
    legalisation of something need not be pro-something.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Gutkha is banned, but who said that? its available everywhere in every other shop in every other town and even village. Do you think government dont know about that?

Government knows everything and closes its eyes to earn money in illegal means. I dont know about other countries but legalizing betting it in country like india will be a practical joke on its citizens.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    You accept it or no, betting is already booming in Indian Market. When Sensex is legal, why shudn't be betting. If betting is legalized, atleast the corruption in name of sport will be controlled. This is what Rahul Dravid said. There is no harm in legalizing betting in India unless it is in a controlled environment.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Samsung and Intel have been developing Tizen - the mobile operating system for quite some time now. At the At the Developer Summit in Seoul, Korea, Samsung revealed the Tizen...
Today twin CEan @cooltwins @CIVILPRINCESS are celebrating their birthday. Wish you many many Happy returns of the day. 🎉
Porsche is soon launching its new car - the Porsche Panamera Turbo S - in India and has even started taking bookings for it. If the Indian consumers do the...
Google has now revealed that it is bringing music features to its wearable device. The Google Glass users will now be able to access Google's online music services to listen...
Hi, I require a concrete of 40MPa strength for an experiment. for the trial mix i tested cubes after 7 days and got an average strength of 32MPa with a...