CrazyEngineers
  • Hi Guys, I am looking for a wide angle lens to work with on a short distance from a group of subjects (15 plus people- 50 people in one line). I want a prime lens or anything that is worth in the zoom lens category. I also have to use it with my Canon EOS 600D (with APS-C) or any other full-frame camera in future. What lens should I be looking for?

Is there an option to have a better version of 50mm F1.8 with these features?

I know about the 40mm pancake, but is it wide enough?

#-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#

P.S.: Leaving it as a tip because someone else might find it useful.
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Anoop Kumar

MemberApr 11, 2014

Are you looking for wider than 18mm?
    <a href="https://www.amazon.com/Canon-EF-S-10-22mm-3-5-4-5-Digital/dp/B0002Y5WXE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397293581&sr=8-1&keywords=Canon+10-22" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">Amazon.com</a>works for both crop and full frame. I think that is reasonable price. From third party you may save $100-150.
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • Anoop Mathew

MemberApr 11, 2014

Anoop Kumar
    Are you looking for wider than 18mm?
    <a href="https://www.amazon.com/Canon-EF-S-10-22mm-3-5-4-5-Digital/dp/B0002Y5WXE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397293581&sr=8-1&keywords=Canon+10-22" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">Amazon.com</a>works for both crop and full frame. I think that is reasonable price. From third party you may save $100-150.
    Does the 'F stop' value not get any lower?
    Cancel
  • Anoop Kumar

MemberApr 12, 2014

You can get lower F stop but wide angle meant to be landscape with Fstop with 5-6 at least to get sharp shots at corners.
    Any lens at maximum wide open never give you sharp at edges no matter how much they are expensive. Most of them gives sharp at 2.8 upto edges, and in group photos you need it.
    See this, it #-Link-Snipped-# but edge to edge sharpnes is at f4.

Edit:
    See this lens,
    I been seeing lots of people using this lens in my Nikon group.
    <a href="https://www.flipkart.com/tokina-at-x-116-pro-dx-ii-af-11-16-mm-f-2-8-canon-digital-slr-lens/p/itmdhhf3z8yztzgb" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX II AF 11 - 16 mm f/2.8 for Canon Digital SLR Lens - Tokina : Flipkart.com</a>
    Cancel
  • Anoop Mathew

MemberApr 12, 2014

Anoop Kumar
    Edit:
    See this lens,
    I been seeing lots of people using this lens in my Nikon group.
    <a href="https://www.flipkart.com/tokina-at-x-116-pro-dx-ii-af-11-16-mm-f-2-8-canon-digital-slr-lens/p/itmdhhf3z8yztzgb" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX II AF 11 - 16 mm f/2.8 for Canon Digital SLR Lens - Tokina : Flipkart.com</a>
    Interesting. Though it'll take some time to save to get it.
    Cancel
  • lal

MemberApr 12, 2014

My knowledge is limited to make a comment here. 18 is wide enough I guess. Wider the lens gets, distortion strats creeping in at the edges. Canon wide angle primes seem to be not wide enough for the crop sensors. May be searching Sigma, Tikona or other brands will give a few models to choose from.
    Cancel
  • Anoop Mathew

MemberApr 26, 2014

lal
    My knowledge is limited to make a comment here. 18 is wide enough I guess. Wider the lens gets, distortion strats creeping in at the edges. Canon wide angle primes seem to be not wide enough for the crop sensors. May be searching Sigma, Tikona or other brands will give a few models to choose from.
    #-Link-Snipped-#: Any idea where we'll get to actually see lens models from Sigma/Tokina/Raynox/Tamron in Kochi? Never seen such a place/shop yet!!!
    Cancel
  • lal

MemberApr 27, 2014

I'm not sure about that buddy. But I sure think a few shops do exist. I have seen a few Sigma lenses with some hobbyists before.
    Cancel
  • Anoop Kumar

MemberApr 27, 2014

Anoop Mathew
    #-Link-Snipped-#: Any idea where we'll get to actually see lens models from Sigma/Tokina/Raynox/Tamron in Kochi? Never seen such a place/shop yet!!!
    For these you need to buy online. Even in Hyderabad, I didn't find these.
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register