Serious help needed to choose between Java, PHP and .net

Hey..

My college is conducting training session for two hours each week in which we can learn any of the three things mentioned above.

Now, I want to know, which would be best both for learning, and having fun while learning + it is better.

Now, coming to some facts

We'll be taught Java in 3rd year (but seniors say, that lecturer's wouldn't teach it seriously)

I know some basics of PHP and no idea about .net

So, anyone, if having knowledge, about which is better, please reply at the earliest, as I have to choose..

And it would be good if you could give some reason for the same..

Hoping for a reply ASAP.

Replies

• Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    @#-Link-Snipped-# @#-Link-Snipped-# @#-Link-Snipped-#

Could you help me in this regard?

Please reply ASAP.
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    I would suggest you going for PHP as Java will anyhow be covered in your academics. I was really never dependent on lecturers to learn programming so I would not comment on the remarks of your seniors.

PHP is something that is in demand and certainly in more demand than .Net. Also, once you learn Java, .NET is more or less the same
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Nick_Sharma
    PHP is something that is in demand and certainly in more demand than .Net. Also, once you learn Java, .NET is more or less the same
    Saying PHP is in more demand than Java and .NET may not be a correct statement?

Per me, .NET and Java are core development languages which powers you to develop application logic. However, PHP is a server-side scripting language used to designing for web development only.

Still I would go with Nick's advice to go with PHP, as its better to get hold of PHP in your early days, because I am sure if you will be pursuing your career as developer, you are bound to learn JAVA / .NET, so you shouldn't worry on that front.

Also one advice, don't ever depend on lectures for development skills, they can give you direction, you need to develop the skill on your own.

-CB
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    I have been misunderstood. I did not mean to say php is more demanding than java. I wanted to say that as he is going to have java in his curriculum he can as well go for php now.. I jist said it is more in demand than .net as per my experience
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Thanks for the replies..

Actually I talked to someone in this regard, he recruits people for some US based company, and he told me to choose one from .net or java..

When I asked, why not PHP, then what he said was, that he has never seen any post of PHP developer in his entire life.

Is this true? or may be just because his company don't need PHP developers.?
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    Sanyam Khurana
    Thanks for the replies..

Actually I talked to someone in this regard, he recruits people for some US based company, and he told me to choose one from .net or java..

When I asked, why not PHP, then what he said was, that he has never seen any post of PHP developer in his entire life.

Is this true? or may be just because his company don't need PHP developers.?
    That's interesting as I have seen many posts based on PHP but one should undertake it if he is looking for web development domain.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Nick_Sharma
    That's interesting as I have seen many posts based on PHP but one should undertake it if he is looking for web development domain.
    That's the thing I'm confused with, I can't really decide what I like more, web development, or something else.

and When I asked this thing from some of my seniors who are in Infosys, some told me .net and some told me php.

I'm really very much confused.....
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    Sanyam Khurana
    That's the thing I'm confused with, I can't really decide what I like more, web development, or something else.

and When I asked this thing from some of my seniors who are in Infosys, some told me .net and some told me php.

I'm really very much confused.....
    Well, in that case I would suggest to go for Java as web development is also a part of Java and Java is more used in industry that .NET. The only reason I suggested you PHP is the presence of Java in your academic curriculum.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    I have a small doubt here,

1. What is .net used for?

2. Is it for web development or building applications in windows or both?

3. Do one has to learn C# prior to learning .net?

4. Is there any other skill required?
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    Sanyam Khurana

See .net and java are both used for building applications and for web development. Java and .NET are both competitors of each other. Java by Sun Microsystems (now acquired by Oracle) and .NET is of Microsoft.

Yes, C# is the first thing you have to learn in order to get into .NET

With Java you can make application for any platform may it be Windows or ay other OS whereas .NET is limited to Windows platform only although there are some extensions that make .NET applications usable over other platforms but I am not sure of that.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Don't limit yourself - don't focus on a single language. At your level, focus on learning programming concepts. If you do want to take extra courses, take one on "Programming and data structures". That way you would be prepared for any programming task irrespective of the current technology trend.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    I would suggest you to go with java,though I myself a PHP developer, but still I believe with java you will get a chance to improve your logical and programming skills both

People prefer PHP because it is cheap and easily available in market

For .net a big no from me.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Sanyam Khurana
    We'll be taught Java in 3rd year (but seniors say, that lecturer's wouldn't teach it seriously)
    This is correct. and in training also they are not going to teach you comprehensive.
    You already know little about php, better go with it. Go to next level in php.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Anand Tamariya
    Don't limit yourself - don't focus on a single language. At your level, focus on learning programming concepts. If you do want to take extra courses, take one on "Programming and data structures". That way you would be prepared for any programming task irrespective of the current technology trend.
    Actually it's not our choice to take any extra course, what they are offering is restricted, and they are giving three choices, Java, PHP and .net

So, please recommend which would be better in these three...
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    goyal420
    I would suggest you to go with java,though I myself a PHP developer, but still I believe with java you will get a chance to improve your logical and programming skills both

People prefer PHP because it is cheap and easily available in market

For .net a big no from me.

Ok, are there any post for PHP developers?

Yeah, I know there must be some, because one senior told me that 4 out of 10 sites uses PHP, so just want to hear that from a PHP developer itself..

And thanks a lot for the reply.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Anand Tamariya
    Plus, I'm working hard on data structures, and improving the skill to form algorithms.

I find it amazing to think logically how things are need to be carried out.

And yes, thanks a lot for your reply, but it would be great, if you could help me in choosing one of the above mentioned things.

Thanks.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    A language is just syntax(plus some additional features!). As long as you have got your logic clear, language is not a hurdle. Comparing languages doesn't make sense. Every single one of them has their own pros and cons. Coming to your question, if you have to choose one, I suggest to go with PHP. Why? Because you already know some basics and it's good to master a language. You would be learning Java anyway in 3rd year (Nobody in India teaches seriously, it's up to you, how much you can grab!). And I am suggesting not to go with .net, call me biased towards open-source, but I think you might have more opportunities with Java and PHP, as compared to Java and .net.
  • Alok mishra
    Alok mishra
    Better go for php the amount of brain you will be using in java ,if you use that same amount of brain in php you can bring roof to ground . But if you learned java well then learning anyother language will be only 3 weeks play ( or 2 may be ) .
    Thats what i realize ....
  • vikaskumar11233
    vikaskumar11233
    Sanyam Khurana

Dear PHP and .NET both are used to make web based projects. It is used to develop as well and build web based applications in windows. You can learn .NET using C# language.
    But i will prefer you to go for PHP with JavaScript. It is high in demand now a days.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Thank you all for the replies, and guiding me..!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I admit I didn't read all the replies above. But why should a programmer restrict himself/herself to one or two programming languages? Programming language is just a set of keywords that you need to type following the set rules. But the real thing is the logic and your ability to create algorithms.

...and that's all is needed when you are working on a kick-ass project all by yourself.

As a software engineer working in an IT company - you'll seldom need those skills 😉
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I admit I didn't read all the replies above. But why should a programmer restrict himself/herself to one or two programming languages? Programming language is just a set of keywords that you need to type following the set rules. But the real thing is the logic and your ability to create algorithms.

...and that's all is needed when you are working on a kick-ass project all by yourself.

As a software engineer working in an IT company - you'll seldom need those skills 😉
    I agree to that 😀, and I think, I would go for Java Training, and carry on learning PHP by myself.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Postdoctoral fellows Jeong-Yun Sun and Christoph Keplinger of Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS) have developed a gel-based transparent stretchable speaker that can produce sounds from the entire...
One of my friend has the problem of choosing a career between Testing in a outsourced product development company vs Development in services company.Please provide your valuable opinions in making...
CEans, We're happy to announce that CEan @Nayan Goenka is CEan Of The Month August 2013. Nayan's name has been carved permanently in the CrazyEngineers Hall Of Fame and he...
guys help me out...in doing this stuff. Any links please mention it.
Well, I have decided to come over and post stuff that I manage to collect and learn as I go ahead with my Hadoop practice. This thread will be an...