Selenium - Installation Procedure

Note: This document deals with working on selenium using RUBY language and its editor , more articles on using JAVA and Eclipse coming soon.

Selenium is an open source testing tool developed by Thoughtworks mainly concentrating on webtesting! Http protocol.

Recently, I have been working on it , the installation procedure itself is a bit difficult to start!

So here are the details how to install and kick start working on selenium.

About Selenium:
(Source Openqa.org)
Selenium Remote Control (RC) is a test tool that allows you to write automated web application UI tests in any programming language against any HTTP website using any mainstream JavaScript-enabled browser.
Selenium RC comes in two parts.
  • A server which automatically launches and kills browsers, and acts as a HTTP proxy for web requests from them.
  • Client libraries for your favorite computer language.
The RC server also bundles Selenium Core and automatically loads it into the browser.

Installation:
Step1:
Check the JDK version available on your system.
To Check this , open command prompt.
type java -version
you get the JDK version, if you dont have 1.6.0 and above please install it and set the path in enviromental variables --> path.
Step2:
Download all the selenium components from#-Link-Snipped-#
Core , IDE , Grid and RC.
Step3:
Download one click download of ruby from
#-Link-Snipped-#
Step2_1:
Once the selenium IDE is downloaded, its comes as a add-in in Mozilla. So Mozilla is required for working on IDE.
Drag and drop the downloaded IDE into mozilla you can see the added icon in the add-on's tab in Mozilla browser.
Step4:
Once everything is downloaded and installed we need to install selenium client, this is installed as a part of ruby installation we need to select a check box.
After downloading and installing execute this commant in command prompt.
gem install selenium-client
Step5:
Selenium RC server comes as a ZIp file, unzip it into same location and execute the jar file which will be available in the selenium-server folder.
which starts the selenium server and the tests can be run through RC.
Using Selenium IDE:
As, explained above it comes as a add-on in mozilla, all actions done using the mozilla browser are recorded in the IDE, using the language converter un IDE convert the code to ruby code and save the file as testname.rb and execute the same using RC.

If you have any questions on the above procedures , post here or mail me to my mail if which is available in my signature!

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Nice Info.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Now I am currently working on Dealing with Digital Certificate Selection using Selenium!

This task is easier in QTP compared to Selenium, but the requirement is to test on Mozilla 3.6 which is not supported by QTP!

If any body has any info post it here!

I will post my findings soon!
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Thanks for your useful information ES!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Guys here is one more update!

Selenium testing tool invokes new browser instance everytime!

So, I think you have applications if opened in Mozilla will get an add exception kind of alert!

If you add exception , you can navigate to the application!
    But if in selenium if you do it, it will not work!

Because, everytime it instantiates a new browser instance which cleares all the exceptions added to that specific browser so to over come this difficulty we need to instruct Selenium to pick a specific profile of firefox to test the application.

For running Firefox in specific profiles this is used for digital certifications use this command to instruct selenium to use a particular profile (-firefoxProfileTemplate C:\Selenium\FFProfiles)

• HImanshu_Sharma
    HImanshu_Sharma
    it is similar to RAD(its of ibm),and eclipse
  • sulekha malik
    sulekha malik
    English-Scared
    Note: This document deals with working on selenium using RUBY language and its editor , more articles on using JAVA and Eclipse coming soon.

Selenium is an open source testing tool developed by Thoughtworks mainly concentrating on webtesting! Http protocol.

Recently, I have been working on it , the installation procedure itself is a bit difficult to start!

So here are the details how to install and kick start working on selenium.

About Selenium:
    (Source Openqa.org)
    Selenium Remote Control (RC) is a test tool that allows you to write automated web application UI tests in any programming language against any HTTP website using any mainstream JavaScript-enabled browser.
    Selenium RC comes in two parts.
    • A server which automatically launches and kills browsers, and acts as a HTTP proxy for web requests from them.
    • Client libraries for your favorite computer language.
    The RC server also bundles Selenium Core and automatically loads it into the browser.

Installation:
    Step1:
    Check the JDK version available on your system.
    To Check this , open command prompt.
    type java -version
    you get the JDK version, if you dont have 1.6.0 and above please install it and set the path in enviromental variables --> path.
    Step2:
    Download all the selenium components from#-Link-Snipped-#
    Core , IDE , Grid and RC.
    Step3:
    Download one click download of ruby from
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Step2_1:
    Once the selenium IDE is downloaded, its comes as a add-in in Mozilla. So Mozilla is required for working on IDE.
    Drag and drop the downloaded IDE into mozilla you can see the added icon in the add-on's tab in Mozilla browser.
    Step4:
    Once everything is downloaded and installed we need to install selenium client, this is installed as a part of ruby installation we need to select a check box.
    After downloading and installing execute this commant in command prompt.
    gem install selenium-client
    Step5:
    Selenium RC server comes as a ZIp file, unzip it into same location and execute the jar file which will be available in the selenium-server folder.
    which starts the selenium server and the tests can be run through RC.
    Using Selenium IDE:
    As, explained above it comes as a add-on in mozilla, all actions done using the mozilla browser are recorded in the IDE, using the language converter un IDE convert the code to ruby code and save the file as testname.rb and execute the same using RC.

If you have any questions on the above procedures , post here or mail me to my mail if which is available in my signature!
    IT was VERY usefull information, Thanks Alot 😀
  • jamit
    jamit
    Hi All,
    Any suggest site for Selenium to learn
  • jamit
    jamit
    Hi Guys,
    Any suggested site to learn Selenium Tool .
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    jamit
    Hi Guys,
    Any suggested site to learn Selenium Tool .
    Youtube videos,
    Selenium docs,
    write sample programs,
    post your doubts here.
    😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Happy Woman's day to all members of CE. ​
The diadem of victory is bestowed upon the one who seeks, strives and sustains. Today's dynamic world calls for right moves,sharp sense and responsiveness. Excelling in the Engineering world depends...
hello everyone, i need to design a home appliance control system using labview webserver and apache webserver. can anybody help??
I am an electrical engg.. doing a final year project. its used to find the clearance between any 2 objects. the output of the clearance sensor is a voltage.. im...
Hey guys I think you all know the new TVS JIVE bike and its speciality. So I really want to know how it actually works without a clutch?? Lets discuss...