Security tip 3:-

You Guys must have heard about admin password ,super admin but have you heard about syskey i.e used to make job of password crackers more difficult.

Basically Microsoft Windows Security Accounts Management Database (SAM) stores

hashed copies of user passwords.You can use the SysKey utility to additionally secure the SAM database The SysKey utility can also be used to configure a start-up password that must be entered to decrypt the system key so that Windows can access the SAM database.Database

To Configure Windows System Key Protection, follow these steps:
  1. At a command prompt, type syskey, and then press ENTER.
  2. Now a box will open ,note that the Encryption Enabled option is selected and is the only option available. When this option is selected, Windows will always encrypt the SAM database.
  3. Click Update.
  4. Click password startup if you want to require a password to start Windows. Use a complex password that contains a combination of upper case and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols.

Replies

• Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Nice tip goyal.
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    @ Goyal
    very nice tip.
    But could you please tell me how to disable this feature?
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    @ sushaNT How to decrypt this syskey password?If yes then sorry no idea but i think we can't
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    If we cant decrpyt the syskey password then to disable this features only option is to format the system.
  • sbscetferozpur
    sbscetferozpur
    but i found one problem.
    after encryping syskey i make a quike restore of the system without entering password.
    after restore i found that
    while logon system not asking for syskey...
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    YES it is possible since when we restore our computer it restore all the settings which even includes syskey password that we have made to a computer to that particular point.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Let me know the selection criteria or guide for capacitors on a.c. load.
hi..i am jhilmil. doing B.tech from a good college in U.P. i want to do a summer training this time in any software company. i am from computer science. but...
Hi All! Can any one provide me hotel management project with front end in VB and MsAccess as a backend.I need this project on urgent basis as one of my...
how to analyse the user interface of a web-based applications .....please explain it guys.....I am in urgent need of it .....please guys hope you would help me
Is there any way to find the current location of mobile number using Internet? I'm specifically interested in finding out a service that will accept a person's mobile number as...