Scope for M.S in engineering management

hey i'm thinking of doing an M.S in engineering management in the U.S. does this course have scope now.. is it a safe option now. please help

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Are you an experienced professional or a student?
  • rakesh.v.1987
    rakesh.v.1987
    Sir i'm a graduate .. i graduated in jun 09.. i want to know about the course.. it's M.S in engineering management.. could you please help me... duke univ offers this programme.
  • rakesh.v.1987
    rakesh.v.1987
    will i have a good future if i do this course.. please guide me sir..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Rakesh -

You can get all the information you need from Duke's official website: #-Link-Snipped-#

Will you have a good future if you do this course - we don't know. Simply no one knows. Completing a course does not ensure good future [job/paycheck/security]. It's all about how you apply the knowledge that you gain from the course.

First of all, I'd request you to go through the course contents and see if they appeal to you. Do you think you can get some value out of it? Try to ask questions to people who suggested you the course. Check out if there's anyone who's done the course and try to get in touch with them.

I'd also ask you to write to the Duke university and ask them the questions you need the answers to. Share those answers with us and let's see, what our engineers advise you.

Best,
  • rakesh.v.1987
    rakesh.v.1987
    sir the counsellor said it was a good course.. do you have any idea about it.. in this course we will be taught tech and management.. i had already checked that duke univ website.. can you find out anything about that course.. is it a good one..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    rakesh.v.1987
    sir the counsellor said it was a good course.. do you have any idea about it.. in this course we will be taught tech and management.. i had already checked that duke univ website.. can you find out anything about that course.. is it a good one..
    Now as an Engineer, instead of trusting the the counselor, I'd want you to check the course content yourself and decide. Every course is a good course provided you put the knowledge gained to proper use.

Write to the university and ask questions to them. Share your conversation with us and we'll see what they've to say.
  • rakesh.v.1987
    rakesh.v.1987
    ok sir just 1 more question.. is it ok to do anything in a univ which is ranked within top 50.. i heard it will be alright to do any course in any of the top 50 univ's in the U.S ...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    rakesh.v.1987
    ok sir just 1 more question.. is it ok to do anything in a univ which is ranked within top 50.. i heard it will be alright to do any course in any of the top 50 univ's in the U.S ...
    Do anything? What do you mean? 😛

Have you read my earlier responses? What's the motto behind opting for a course? If there's no motto - it's absolutely alright to do 'anything' 😁 in any university.
  • rakesh.v.1987
    rakesh.v.1987
    ok sir thank you.. i'l get back when i find out all details of the course..
  • rakesh.v.1987
    rakesh.v.1987
    hello again.. i found out a little abt engg magmt.. ppl told me that this course does not have much scope.. it only gives you a broader perspective of things.. sir i'l tell you what i'm really interested in.. after my P.G i want to be in a project manager's role.. something like a team lead.. i want a job where i can use my tech and management knowledge.. can you suggest me a course after which i can get such a job..?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    rakesh.v.1987
    hello again.. i found out a little abt engg magmt.. ppl told me that this course does not have much scope.. it only gives you a broader perspective of things.. sir i'l tell you what i'm really interested in.. after my P.G i want to be in a project manager's role.. something like a team lead.. i want a job where i can use my tech and management knowledge.. can you suggest me a course after which i can get such a job..?
    May I request you not to use SMS text and pay attention to text formatting? You need not start a new thread to discuss an ongoing topic.

I doubt you'll get a project manager's role directly. You need to have some work experience to manage a project. Your best bet would be to get an MBA degree from a reputed business school.
  • rakesh.v.1987
    rakesh.v.1987
    sorry for the SMS text sir. i'm going to be working at infosys for a year and a half before doing my P.G. so i want to know what will be best for my profile. what to do after work so that i can get a manager's role..?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    rakesh.v.1987
    sorry for the SMS text sir. i'm going to be working at infosys for a year and a half before doing my P.G. so i want to know what will be best for my profile. what to do after work so that i can get a manager's role..?
    If you are interested in managerial roles, I think you would need to pick up formal education at B Schools , The subjects I know what can familiarize you with Project managing stuff are Engineering management, project management,
    engineering decisions. Search for related topics and move ahead. Its not a cake walk to get into shoes of PM as soon as you enter a company, its a gradual growth process for which I believe you DONNOT have shortcuts.
  • rakesh.v.1987
    rakesh.v.1987
    yes but i found out about engineering management and people told me it's not a safe option. i was actually planning for M.S in engineering management in the U.S. ok can you give me some more info on what course i should do to get such jobs. like finance, HR . can you please help me.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Another query on Facebook about sharing details about the so-called 'scope of engineering management course'. I never understand the importance of the word 'scope' especially when asked in questions such as these.

Anyway, for all I know, engineering management or MEM courses combine professional engineering practices with core business and management subjects typically found in an M.B.A. program.

There are some great universities in US that offer such programs. After graduation, one can pursue a career as a business analyst, IT manager, develop business strategies for tech companies, become product manager and even a technical consultant in later part of his/her life.

I think there's nothing wrong with pursuing such a degree. One should carefully analyze the prospects. From my experience, I think if you know what you really want to do, there's always a great course available that matches your needs.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    After I came here, I started getting random messages from people I can NOT be even remotely acquainted with asking about career prospects in US universities. From what I see, *NO OFFENSE* but if you are coming here to do a M.S, which is supposed to be a heavily technical and rigorous course, do not go for Engg Management/MIS/ Industrial engg, etc. I feel, people who do it are only interested in earning in $$ instead of INR and hence find an easy route to a masters degree.

The irony is, these fields pay good salaries too! With not even half the effort required for a MS degree. At the same time they do management coursework, which gives them a way of not doing an MBA which is again very rigorous here.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

R1-7-9=1Kohm R2-3-4-5=100Kohm R6 =10Kohm R9 =47Kohm IC1 = 4066 IC2 =4N25 Q1-2=BC550 S1...11=Push button sw or keyboard S12=Push button normal closed All resistors is 1/4W 5% can i get an...
hye i want to ask, what diferent between RFID n mifare card.....which one is better....
CEans, Are you aware that the next version of the hyper text markup language [or simply, the language that lets you view all these beautiful web pages on the Internet]...
I see that lot of our regular CEans aren't online these days. I hope everything's well with everyone! I had been busy with few of the projects and I admit...
Here's a simple question for all of you - 1. Name the first Internet ".com" domain registered. When was it registered?