Robot sound localisation

Hi

I have the following project:

I need to build a robot with 2 microphones attached to it on either side. The robot is placed on a 4x4 meter grid. 2 speakers are placed on the top and left side of the grid respectively. They each output a specific frequency.

I need the robot to establish its coordinates based on the sounds received from the 2 speakers and then move to a specific coordinate...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I dont get it. Are there only two speakers and they transmit only two frequencies, right?
    Then how can you fix your co-ord based on the reception of those frequencies alone?
    Do you plan to use the signal strength that you receive to find where you are?
    Please elaborate..
  • jman
    jman
    Yeah, one speaker transmits around 600hz and the other around 1200 hz. I was planning to possibly use triangulation of some sorts to find the position of the robot. However, Im not sure how to implement that... The robot is also initialised at the centre of the 4x4 m grid and so it initially knows where it is...

Here is a picture of the grid

speaker 1
    <------------------ 4m ----------------->
    ^ -----------------------------------------
    | |
    s | |
    p | |
    e | |
    a 4m | .(2,2)
    k | |
    e | |
    r | |
    2 | |
    -------------------------------------------
  • jman
    jman
    sorry the point (2,2) needs to be in the middle but the forum doesnt edit it properly
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    jman
    sorry the point (2,2) needs to be in the middle but the forum doesnt edit it properly
    Don't worry. The forum automatically removes the spaces.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    As i already said, you are planning to use the signal strength from each speakers to determine where you are. As i understand this, there will be two speakers giving out two different frequencies, located orthogonal to each other. The bot will initially be in the center.

Tell me, if the bot's movement restricted to only right angled movements? ie, if the robot has to turn, is it allowed to turn only in a direction perpendicular to the current direction? or can it move in any arbitrary direction? if it's the latter case, then localizing becomes difficult.
    if it's the first case, divide the arena into equal area cells, and you need to know how the signal strength of each speaker reduces with respect to distance. If you get more of speaker 1 and less of speaker 2, you are closer to no.1. And based on the previous location, you can decide if it's one cell closer toward speaker 1 or speaker 2. that's the way to go. But it doesnt seem to be easy.

Anyways, all the best.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, Here's a great piece of advice to startup entrepreneurs: ( link-> ) Wisdom in hindsight: Team Up Scale Up What do you say?
Hello CEans, If you are organizing (or recently organized) any event in your college you'll be happy to read this announcement. We know organizing any event involves lot of work,...
Official Website: Requirements Engineering Conference (RE'09) The International Requirements Engineering Conference is sponsored by the IEEE and is the premier academic and industrial event in the field of Requirements Engineering....
Hiii all, In a Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum system, besides changing the types of modulator used, and adding more noises and fading to the channel, what else can we change...
Hey all, Name: Sid or Sean will be fine 😀 Engineering Trade: Mechanical Location: Chennai, India. Occupation: Doing my last semester of Mechanical Engineering, after which I plan to do...