Resistor which cools on operation

Hi Guys,

I know lot of devices in the world use Resistors , capacitors and Inductors in their circuit designs with lot more devices though!

We would be having a power supply and which heats the device and we need specific heat sinks which will emit this heat out of that device.

So my question is can we design a Resistor of the same Ohms we use in the circuit with a material that it gets cool on power supply such that it maintains the device cool and the device would be operating efficiently.

what say??

I have checked in google but I didnt find this , hope we ceans will invent/discover something!

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Any thoughts any one?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Now here after discussing with a friend I thought of learning the refrigerator operation which works like AC!!

The fact is something we pull out the gas and we pump cold gas into the fridge!

So can some one from material science department do some research on this??
  • senthamil_arasu
    senthamil_arasu
    resistor that cools is completely impossible .. coz all materials dissipate heat .. may be we can use a thermocouple to do so .. making it by dissipating the heat outside and cooling inside .. that too not to a greater extent
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    The reason why a resistor heats up when current is passed is because of the internal vibrations in the atom level in the material.

Put in another way, when current passes through a material, energy is transferred through it. Complete transfer of energy is not possible due to these vibrations. So, some of the energy is given out as heat. That is basically why a resistor heats up.

Generally, the higher the temperature of a body is, the higher its energy is. If a body has to cool down, we have to take energy from it.
    But when we pass current through a resistor, we are giving energy to it. Hence, it cannot cool down below the starting temperature. That would violate the laws of thermodynamics.

So, I think such a resistor could not be realized practically..
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    What all you said is fine guys , it is not possible!
    But we know that resistors are made from copper or some material which possess the characteristics mentioned above.
    But can we identify some another kind of material which can be used as a resistor purpose and control its heating automatically I mean by itself.
  • abhinaykumar
    abhinaykumar
    i think we cannot make a resistor which cools down on operation but we can reduce the heat i suppose.........

the resistor is made of carbon i think....
    anyone knows any material which is a bad conductor of heat and good conductor of electricity........
    i think first of all this question should be pasted on the chemical engineering forum coz they know abt these metals better than our electrical engineers
  • abhinaykumar
    abhinaykumar
    i think we cannot make a resistor which cools down on operation but we can reduce the heat i suppose.........

anyone knows any material which is a bad conductor of heat and good conductor of electricity........
    i think first of all this question should be pasted on the chemical engineering forum coz they know abt these metals better than our electrical engineers
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    abhinaykumar

Dear friend, I have to say something. Even if carbon reduces heat, it still produces heat(even though in a lower quantity). What we want is something which recverses the heat production. Think this way. The current causes vibrations, of course. If the vibrations absorb heat than dissipating it, we have the solution, at least theoritically. But it is still looking impossible.
    Also, discovering or inventing something which is a good conductor of electricity but a bad conductor of heat is also useless. Because still it doesn't absorb heat. Hope I am right. I invite corrections in my idea.

P.S.- This is one of the wildest thoughts, oh God, how did it come out of my mind. This looks really crazy, how can a vibration absorb energy? Well, people can find this out.

Administrators.... Bring in Material science experts and chemical engineers to this place. This is a cool idea.....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Who is on the steam turbine power plant of some papers? Thank you
London – May 18, 2010 – Attenda Limited, the Always On Managed Services company, today announced that it has signed a three year contract with Traffic Solutions for the provision...
Hi i m doing my Final year project in VHDL...i hv 6 different modules...i wanna combine dem...so dat i cam give a input and afta working of all the modules...
hiiiiiii i am fourth year B.tech(computer science) student.I know java and i hava an opportunity to work in .net.. so should i switch over to .net or should learn something...
what is transmission line analysis?