Repeated Acknowledgements in TCP

๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

Hi ,
In order to guess packet loss :-TCP uses repeated ack , But can any one explain what is repeated ack and how it is different than ack ?

Thanks !!

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    Hi
    I am not too sure of repeated ACK, but there are instances when duplciate ACKs are sent

The whole process of error detection and recovery is :-
    when a TCP session is made, the sender sends 1 packet , the reciever ACKs with ACK1 and the sender does a SYC-ACK1 which indicates that 1 packet has been succesfulyl transmitted.
    Now doing this for every packet means - heavy wastage of time and BW.
    Thus TCP windowing was introduced, where ACKs are done for a SET of packets

SO now,
    Sender sends 1 packet ; reciever does ACK2 ; sender does SYC-ACK2
    sender now increases the packet size to 2 as it knows the reciever and the link are able to process 1 packet finely
    it does -- 1,2 packets ; reciever does ACK3 ; sender does SYC-ACK3

likewise the sender keeps in incrementing the window size till it feels sometime is going wrong. like below

Sender -- 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 ; reciever does ACK7 ; sender realises that7, 8 th packet has been missed and resends the packet 7,8 and reciver does a ACK 9 , prompting the sender to do a SYC- ACK9
    remeber that the ACKs from the reciver indicates what next seq id it expecting.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans We all listen to English songs very often but how many of you can understand the meaning of an English song or even some of the words in the...
hi...i m a b.tech(ec) 2nd year student........i want to persue a course in embedded robotics........i have not studied a single word of microprocessors till yet....will the course be benefitial for...
Ford, Ford and Ford. This is what being heard everywhere. Reason? Ford Figo getting awarded the car of the year and now with the news, you will probably start planning...
Hi everyone!! Is it possible to disconnect a hp pavilion tx2000 touch screen and convert it into a usb port so i can plug it into a desktop computer and...
hi everyone! So i've been offer a research summer job, its a research job and i'm veryvery interested in this research. But i'm concern that i don't have that knowledge...