Reliance & Aircel SMS blocked on Airtel

It's Diwali season in India and that means big bucks for all the telecom network operators. Indians get obsessed with sending and forwarding the "Happy Diwali" SMS to each other without really knowing that each SMS costs a lot more than the regular charge. I'm not sure if it's really ethical to hike the messaging charges during the festival time; but that's what every operator does. But the latest development in the Indian telecom markets is quite interesting. Airtel has blocked SMS from Reliance and Aircel saying that these two networks are flooding their networks with free text messages resulting into poor quality of service to its customers.

Both Reliance and Aircel have a different stance. They say, Airtel being the largest telecom operator in India (it's even 4th largest in the world) is using the pressure techniques to make them pay more for the SMS termination charges. The companies allege that Airtel is misusing their dominance in the market totally ignoring their customers.

I'm sure we've several CEans who're on these networks. If you're facing inconvenience with sending messages there's an alternative! Use 'WhatsApp'.

This free app is available on most of the mobile platforms. Plus I'm quite sure that most of your contact list will already be using this app (you can see who's using it once you register on WhatsApp). You will pay for just one message (the regular data charges apply) but it will get delivered to all your WhatsApp contacts all over the world.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Airtel is attracting enraged reactions from the users for quite some time now. Some of the friends are complaining about sudden increase in call rates and sms charges. A friend has started calling Airtel as Failtel. ๐Ÿ˜• While there is other set of users who think this was a good move by Airtel. The number of spam text messages they received every few minutes has been greatly reduced.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    What is Airtel planning to do?
    Is it planning to commit SUICIDE in India ?
    Already the decentralisation from airtel has began in many college students So if there is more stinky moves it's regular users will Fail it

Pride goes Before a Fall
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Heh! That was bound to offer. The company is already #1 in India and #4 in the world. When there's a monopoly - even the most customer friendly companies turn customer-unfriendly. So far, I've enjoyed a steady performance with Idea Cellular. They do charge a bit more; but you can rely on their service and the connectivity (and signal strength) is impressive in most of the locations I've been to.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    I've been using Airtel for quite some time. I like Airtel for it's possibility to transfer high amount of datapackets, while the rest of the telecom operators showcase a lower amount. This in turn increases the quality of Airtel. Airtel pioneered #-Link-Snipped-# model, which has started to be used by other telecom companies.

The Airtel Internet is also very good, compared to others. However, to maintain this quality, they've to really cut down on the slack that they provide to their customers. Every festival season Airtel charges more for SMS on that day. But the quality of service is good.

I've used Idea, and they do have offers and stuff, but the quality of service is not so good. I've had multiple complaints with 2 of my SIM cards. I've also used Vodafone, Docomo and BSNL, and all these services don't attract customers as much as Airtel. That's why they keep expanding easily.

However, like #-Link-Snipped-# said, monopoly is a killer. Seeing #-Link-Snipped-#, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. ๐Ÿ˜
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    anoopthefriend
    I've been using Airtel for quite some time. I like Airtel for it's possibility to transfer high amount of datapackets, while the rest of the telecom operators showcase a lower amount. This in turn increases the quality of Airtel. Airtel pioneered #-Link-Snipped-# model, which has started to be used by other telecom companies.

The Airtel Internet is also very good, compared to others. However, to maintain this quality, they've to really cut down on the slack that they provide to their customers. Every festival season Airtel charges more for SMS on that day. But the quality of service is good.

I've used Idea, and they do have offers and stuff, but the quality of service is not so good. I've had multiple complaints with 2 of my SIM cards. I've also used Vodafone, Docomo and BSNL, and all these services don't attract customers as much as Airtel. That's why they keep expanding easily.

However, like #-Link-Snipped-# said, monopoly is a killer. Seeing #-Link-Snipped-#, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. ๐Ÿ˜
    I went through the Link man and have to wait for a few weeks before passing Judgement on Airtel. This Judgement day is inevitably me swapping my Airtel number. The connectivity of other networks is really poor as they "Do not have their own towers"

This makes them a really poor choice for any one
  • lal
    lal
    There is another interesting fact ๐Ÿ˜ airtle was always the easiest to hack (to by-pass the airtel data counter and thus avail free internet) from the past. Starting with, by using UC Web browser or Tea Shark browser helped airtel customers browse and download free in the past. There always existed multiple ways to avail free internet when compared to other operators. Youngsters simply loved this flaw or was it deliberate! ๐Ÿ˜
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I am detesting this new development I am not in for this change Better revoke this Airtel or you will face wrath ๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก

Don't behave like a shit in this issue

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can anyone suggest me the link where i can find and download audios related to space shuttle launch!! i specially need the count down parts during the launch
Honda's entering into the diesel powered car markets with a new car - Honda Amaze, to be launched in India and Thailand next year. The car is said to be...
hello to all. . .i would like to thanks to this site specially to Mr. Praveen-Kumar to help me with my project. . .I have passed my programming subject to...
Samsung has launched its all new Samsung Galaxy Camera in India. Running Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean), this Camera can take pictures at 16mp and will come with a 16GB free...
Today was my Internal Viva for 6 week Industrial Training held back in May-June. Prime question asked in viva was What You Have Contributed to Industry in 6 Weeks? I...