Relation btw angular acceleration of driveshaft and wheels.

Hello guys
I read yesterday that angular acc at driveshaft is related to angular acceleration at wheels as:
ang acc (d) = ang acc(w) x N
Where N is final drive ratio (differential)
This shows ang acc at drveshaft is greater than wheels and therefore torque because,
Torque = I (MoI) x alpha (ang acc.)
How is this possible? Because diff amplifies the torque input i.e toque output of diff should be greater than input and so should angular acc.

Replies

• BigOhm
    BigOhm
    You're jumping to an unwarranted conclusion. Consider for a minute a very artificial situation where a driveshaft rotates 4 times for each rotation of the wheel. Don't worry about what the differential is doing - this is a gendanken car. In order to get an acceleration of, say, 2 sec^-2 at the wheel, you must have an acceleration of 8 sec^-2 at the driveshaft.

Now, the torque = I alpha formula is right, but you probably can't use it here since the driveshaft sees "reflected" I from the wheels. Look at this in terms of work and you'll see that, in the above situation, the driveshaft has only 1/4 the torque as the wheel.
  • rpower
    rpower
    So u mean the driveshaft has greater ang acc but it has small moment of inertia as compared to differential gear, so it has less torque. IS it?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Please help me Can any one give me a link to free download of this book R. H. Cannon, Dynamics of Physical Systems, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1967.
public class B { public int add() { return 011; } public static void main(String[] args) { B b1=new B(); System.out.println(b1.add()); } } the output is 9, how it will...
A TYPICAL FILMY SCENE...: a person gets hurt in an accident and people rush him to the nearby hospital and try to get him admitted quickly, but the doctors refuse...
A conductor in (x-y) plane and having lenth 1m is moving with velocity V=(2i+3j+k)m/sec.Magnetic flux desity B=(i+2j)wb/m2.Potential difference at the end of the conductor is(Explain your answer) i)0 ii)4.88V iii)root6...
hey guys, i have started this thread in the hope of helping you to develop your strengths and work on your weaknesses and at the same time have fun..... well...