Refreshed CE Homepage

CEans,

You must have noticed that in the last few days, CE's homepage has undergone several changes. The final design of CE homepage has gone live just few hours ago and we're monitoring server performance. I'll keep everyone updated about our findings. First, allow me to inform you why we made changes and what does new CE offers to you - our loyal readers.

Why did we launch new design & what's new

CrazyEngineers VoiCE is no longer just a blog anymore. We're working hard to make VoiCE an engineering & technology news blog. The new design offers a posts - slider that shows all the 'featured' posts - usually the posts that receive lot of attention or is important in some or other way. Regular VoiCE posts will appear below the Featured Posts Slider on homepage. Just beside the VoiCE posts, we've a forums-post display. Our advertisers, partners and other important things appear in the sidebar.

The VoiCE & Small Talk pages offer two modes of display which you can toggle with a click. We've also added enough options for you to share all our news with your friends through Facebook Like, LinkedIn Share, Twitter and recently launched 'Google +1' button.

Do let me know what you think.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Can someone quickly test our new site in IE6? My IE preview tool doesn't let me check the layout in IE6. The site seems to be working fine in IE7, IE8, IE9 and IE10 along with other browsers - Chrome, Firefox and Opera. However I need more confirmations on various operating systems.

It would be nice if someone can post the results for iPad and Android browsers?
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    its nice! ๐Ÿ˜€ looks pleasant and is user friendly ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @civilprincess: Please post which browser and operating systems you are using.
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    chrome and windows XP
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Yup Biggie checked it in IE8 and XP. It is looking great there too. Do not know about IE 6 though. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anyone using IE6? Please respond as soon as possible!
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I am using windows 7 and chrome...it looks nice...๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Why do we have such a poor response here? All you have to do is post the platform (OS) + Browser combination you are using to view our front page and report your experience. Can someone confirm for IE6? Please
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Tested the site in Android in 3G.

The site responds very good.. The front page load times are very good, and generally the site loads fast enough.
    Only when doing some resource intensive tasks like advanced search or when querying the new posts and all, it is slightly slow.

Overall, it was a good experience in Android!! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @silver: Thanks a lot ๐Ÿ˜€ The site is being served from CDN and images should load faster. We also have memcached enabled, so it should add to the speed. I'm only concerned about the front page layout, which earlier had several issues. Those issues seem to have been fixed now. IE6 anyone? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    Nice layout, admin.๐Ÿ‘
    The front page as well as other pages look very systematic now. Not just this, the loading time of the pages have also reduced on my system. And I always love that rotating "tag cloud".
    I am using Win 7 and Firefox. I also had IE9 and I tested CE in IE compatibility mode. It performs well there as well. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thanks Deepika. The server load seems to be stable now. Our Skype post constantly had over 300-400 simultaneous viewers last night and the server load didn't even slightly change ๐Ÿ˜€ .

Analytics show that about 12k - 15k visitors to CE use IE6. Although we've dropped support on forums, I'm wondering whether pages load okay in IE6 on front page.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    First thing... It is taking very long time to open in IE6... ๐Ÿ˜”

Screenshots are attached here. For the forum home page and the mail page. ๐Ÿ˜€

[โ€‹IMG]

[โ€‹IMG]
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thanks for testing in IE6. We figured out that adding support to IE6 means lot of extra coding. We request all CEans to stick to modern browsers.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Yeah, chrome rocks. ๐Ÿ˜€ Finding out more about voice search though! Want to login to CE using voice. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    He he... Biggie, this is what we do in our office... ๐Ÿ˜›

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I stumbled upon this magical video on Mashable. Check it out - [video=youtube;LAhP-yLJJ9s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAhP-yLJJ9s&feature=player_embedded[/video]
I am developing a software which employs product activation. We need to bind our software to only one machine, i.e. the user must not be able to activate his copy...
I've always believed that decisions are taken by single person. However, often seen in corporate world, committees or 'focus groups' are setup to take decisions. In my experience a group...
I'd like CEans to contribute the best project ideas they've come across the best project ideas across various engineering disciplines in your college. Just post the information that you have...
CEans, I'm sure all of us will agree that we need to improve the number of quality discussions on CE Forums. Creating more quality discussions is the ONLY way we...