Reason I think Facebook took Orkut's #1 place in Social Networking in India

Orkut has been around for long and I know many of my friends got introduced to Internet because of Orkut. "What the heck, you're not on Orkut??" was one of the most common questions asked.

But the new kid on the block, Facebook ate Orkut's lunch and Orkut couldn't do anything about it. Why?

In my opinion, it's because of the FB's success in the US Of A. People use social networks to share photos, get in touch with old friends and make new friends. When Indian students went to US of A for studies or job, they found all their American friends hooked on to FB and not to Orkut. That made them create accounts on Facebook and be less active on Orkut. As a result, their friends sitting in India had no option but to open FB accounts as well.

Then started "You're still on Orkut??" thing rolling out. Being on Orkut is like being in 2004 when the rest of the world is in 2010. Most of the FB's gain is because of the peer pressure created by Indians living in USA.

Why did you move from Orkut to Facebook?

Replies

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Yeah it is true

Most of my friends have now switched to facebook now so i also followed them ,but there is one more reason

The way facebook changed their privacy policy for users makes me to stuck with facebook.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Yeah it is true

Most of my friends have now switched to facebook now so i also followed them ,but there is one more reason

The way facebook changed their privacy policy for users makes me to stick with facebook.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Same reason i had to move to facebook because all of my friends started using it and i had no other option.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    No.
    I think peer pressure is not the major reason. At least, it's not for me..

I was using Orkut. And then, due to some friend's suggestion, I decided I'll just try Facebook. It was plain awesome..

And then, I started using FB more and more, and orkut less and less..

So, yeah, peer pressure and friends moving to facebook may be a reason, but the main reason would simply be, facebook is better, in my opinion..
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I'm doing pretty well without Facebook these days 😀 Though that just irks my old school mates.

I guess people are just following trends. I think Hi5 and Friendster were quite popular before, then people jumped on more interesting things. Peer pressure was probably the catalyst of things.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Same reason,

First of all my roommate went to USA and after that my classmates and they are not more active on ORKUT. so i too make one on FACEBOOK.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The ex-Developers of one of the most powerful forum software: vBulletin are working on their own forum solution: XenForo. Lot of people have been saying that XenForo will give a...
CEans, Please post your college's tech fest dates / schedule in this thread. If any of the colleges are willing to get CE as their online media partner, we are...
If 2/3 of the number of women attending a certain dance is equal to 1/2 the number the men attending, what fraction of those attending are women? 😁 A) 2/5...
A goat that has been wandering around the eastern Missouri town of Mexico has gained enough attention to have his own Facebook page. Mexico animal control officer Joe Horton said...
By weight, liquid A makes up 7.0% of solution I and 14.5% of solution II. If 3 grams of solution I is mixed with 2 grams of solution II, then...