RC slab on I-beam

Hi guys im new here,

i have a question:

Is it possible to construct a 4" x 22ft x 11ft RC slab on top of a rectangular shaped two 22ft long 8"x8" horizontal i-beam and two 11ft long 8"x8" i-beam
sitting on four 9ft(h) x10"x10" RC column with a 1'x2.5'x2.5' pad footing each. All the columns is at every end of the i-beams

the weight of the RC slab is about 5tonnes..
it is actually an open car porch
will the ibeams and Rc columns hold that weight?

Replies

• Quedin
    Quedin
    ...each column have four Y12bs steel bar with R6 link every 200mm

i have constructed all the columns and installed all the i-beams..
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    Quedin
    Hi guys im new here,

i have a question:

Is it possible to construct a 4" x 22ft x 11ft RC slab on top of a rectangular shaped two 22ft long 8"x8" horizontal i-beam and two 11ft long 8"x8" i-beam
    sitting on four 9ft(h) x10"x10" RC column with a 1'x2.5'x2.5' pad footing each. All the columns is at every end of the i-beams

the weight of the RC slab is about 5tonnes..
    it is actually an open car porch
    will the ibeams and Rc columns hold that weight?
    Can you provide me the following details:
    1. Concrete grade (i.e.) ratio
    2. Reinforcement grade and specification
    3. The beam you mentioned above are Steel I beam (or) Rectangular(8"x8") Concrete beam.
  • Quedin
    Quedin
    hi KSS manian,
    thanks for the reply

1. my concrete grade is M15
    2. all the steel reinforcement is y12bs(british standard) for column and y10bs for pad footing
    3. Yes Steel H / I-beam with a 8" x 8" dimension
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    1. OK
    2. all the steel reinforcement is y12bs(british standard) for column and y10bs for pad footing - I AM ASKING ABOUT THE STRENGTH OF THE REINFORCEMENT YOU USED. TABLE FROM BS8110 FOR YOUR REFERENCE.upload_2013-10-8_14-30-24
    3. Yes Steel H / I-beam with a 8" x 8" dimension - Provided details are not enough. IF IT IS A STEEL MEMBER PROVIDE ME THE SECTION DESIGNATION. (UB___X___X___) OR (UC___X___X___)
    4. What is the connection b/w I section to concrete column. Any anchor bolts are embeded into the top of column.
  • Quedin
    Quedin
    2. im not sure but lets say its the weaker one.
    3. 8 inch flange width and 8 inch beam height/web,and the thickness of the flange and web is about 6mm
    4. Yes ,the the column steel bar will get through a square 10mm metal plate and welded together and the I-beam is welded to the metal plate.
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    Beam:
    Assumed grade = S275
    1. Moment capacity - ok
    2. Member deflection - Within the limit, ok
    3. Web yeilding & crippling - ok
    Column:
    1. Buckling - Within limit, ok
    2. Reinf provided - Sufficient
    Remark:
    • Confirm the soil bearing capacity is more than 2.5 T/m2.
    • Check the Connection b/w beam and column is ok or not ok.
    Other than this everything is fine. Carry on with this design and dimension.
  • Quedin
    Quedin
    thank you KSS manian for your time and knowledge 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi All We are experience engineer for firmware,pcb,RF and mechanical design.We are looking for part time job.Please advise. Rgds Nazri
Just today, I have started to learn html and css coding. I tried to insert an image using html code: