Radio Station In College

Hello everybody...
We have to start a radio station in my college. But we have absolutely no idea how to begin.Could any of you out there guide us as how to go about it.
We want to know what we are getting into and it would be highly helpful on your part if you could briefly tell us about the procedure involved.

We have to make it as a project and are planning to get all the components and do all the work ourselves.Time and money are not a factor.
The strength of the signal should be strong enough to cover a circle of about 3km dia with little or no blockage in the terms of buildings.

Also is it possible to send our signal in the 88-108Mhz band(one used by radio stations) and then use mobile phones to tune into the signal.Our college is in a pretty secluded place and the frequency band is almost empty.

Replies

• saraswat
    saraswat
    hi how's u dear...........
    ya tell me about ur project of radio station .....
    actually i(amit) n my friend amarpreet need that project..
    so send that soon........
  • saraswat
    saraswat
    hi friends how's u.....
    plz help me(amit saraswat) n my friend amarpreet singh sran
    actually we need some topics as synopsis for minor project of 7th sem for electronics branch plz send soon.................
  • wassup
    wassup
    Interesting project. Well I don't know if you can transmit in 88-108Mhz, you will have check with the authorities. But here are few things you need for starting

1) A FM transmitter -> You will lot of designs on the net. Very easy
    2) An antenna design -> this is the tough part, look around.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Hey nice project and quite interesting in specially college techfest. Well i don't know much about authority but i remember in diploma my one classmate was working on FM transmitter and he stucks mainly in antenna design. Why not you take guidance from your professor of Antenna and yes google search can give reference of good antenna. I'll try to get some information and share with you.

I want to say one more thing if you found any data then please share here.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    For broadcasting FM over an area, you'll definitely need to ask the authorities as it may exceed specific EIRP regulations.
  • psychobabble
    psychobabble
    @Saraswat
    I am also new in this arena. However if i get some good info i will surely share with you.

I wanted to know for sure if mobile phones can tune into the frequency sent out by our radio station because there is no use of transmitting a signal if there are no receivers able to receive it. So far i am not concerned whether legally it is possible or not...but technically is it possible?

And links to some good sites dealing with the above topics are welcome...
    Thank you all..
  • psychobabble
    psychobabble
    ok..thanks ash...
    looks like i will have to do some work in that area too...
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yes, all FM equipped mobile phones can receive any FM broadcast signal from the radio station you intend to set up.

Before you proceed, please do check with authorities to avoid unnecessary issues. If they do set a EIRP limit, that will influence the transmitter antenna design you need.
  • Munguti
    Munguti
    I also think you will have to buy the frequency range(channel) you want to use to transmit your FM signal. The 88-108MHz range isn't free atleast not in our country. This is one more reason you need to notify the authorities.
  • mishra
    mishra
    for a good radio other than FM transmitter and antenna wat are the others components i will require....(be precise) plz if anyone can help me i'll be thankful....
  • shiva91
    shiva91
    I too doing the same project . if you know thing. Let me know that
  • mishra
    mishra
    hey shiva watever may be the information u hav till now regardin dis project..can u share with me??... i actually want to complete dis project sooner the possible.may be the information given by u is helpful for me and i also share ny information with u...thanks
  • gohm
    gohm
    I agree with Ash. First start by looking into the license or permit process needed to broadcast in your area. Then based on that as well as cost/distance you can determine band.
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Try playing songs so that students who got bored with their subjects can listen..!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

How to generate the Tera HZ and provide the website...
hi........ guys. As i have to do mini project in my college, i dont have any idea of this....... so pls help me to do this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
We plan to set a campus radio for a fest.Can somebody please help in starting?How much would it cost and how can it be set. Would appreciate replies at the...
Hello all, I m implementing GPRS connectivity. And i want to send an email to the pc through GPRS. but i dont know that how many connections possible i.e. how...
can any one explain me that what are the modifications required in engine while using CNG AND LPG as fuel...!