Question regarding refrigeration:

Here is a questions regarding refrigeration:

now talking about the refrigerators, which we use at home, it is said, that the food stuffs stored in it should be at room temperature or below, but it should never be above that, else this may damage the machine.

now is this true or is this just a myth formed by laymen end-users. even if storing some article at a high temperature does cause the refrigerator to malfunction, then how does it happen ? which component fails, the compressor, evaporator, or the condenser or the expansion valve ?

Replies

• Kedar Malwadkar
    Kedar Malwadkar
    No, i don't think that if some article at high temperature damages the refrigerator. But placing some hot stuff in refrigerator may increase your electricity bills, as it increases the power consumption which is needed to lower temperature of the hot article.
  • Kedar Malwadkar
    Kedar Malwadkar
    The more the temperature of article to be cooled, the more power will be required to cool it.....

I think that's why this myth has formed.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    but what i have heard is that hotter the article, the more the effort the compressor puts in, but the compressor is not designed to overwork and hence it fails.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    A refrigerator is just a heat pump. It only moves heat from a lower temperature to a higher temperature much like a water pump pumps water from a lower level to a higher level.
    What KM says above is correct. There is not much difference between this situation and the one where one puts on a car AC when the car was cooking in the hot sun in the parking lot.
    the mCp(delta T) of the mass that you put in has to be removed. Unless one puts in a huge amount of something like molten metal inside all that happens is that you see a higher bill.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I just happened to stumble upon this article in the New Scientist. Quite an amazing product. But what about the potential misuse of such weapons? ​'Self-aiming' rifle turns novices into...
Please help me to know what exactly session layer does in practical.... Theoritically I know it manages the sessions between the host n remote system... But how exactly this happens,...
After the November release of Linux Mint 14 - Nadia, here's a significant update from the developers team with Linux Mint 15 'Olivia' featuring Cinnamon 1.8 and MATE 1.6. So,...
hello friends, I have recently confused a time invariant system with a dynamic system. Could you please help me get out of this situation. Also describe these systems in terms...
Just a couple of weeks back, we told you about ASUS's Teaser For Computex 2013. Though not a lot of fanfare, but ASUS did make its mark and created a...