Question: EMC Common Mode Noise Suppresion

Dear to all experts,

I thank you first in advance for all the help and advices given. The question that I would like to ask is regarding the combination of usage in ferrite core and Y-capacitors as noise suppression. The design comparison which I would like to ask is as attached. There are two different method of placing the Y-capacitors to filter out the common mode noise. When I took this design and scan the conducted emission, I found that there are times design A is better than design B but there are times where design B is better than design A.

May I know what is the difference in noise between both design? I know that both are made to cancel out common mode noise so why is there a difference between the two design? Thanks for all the reply and help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Hi #-Link-Snipped-# first of all welcome to CE.

I am not sure about main difference between these two designs but I remember during one seminar by Wurth Electronics they have mentioned something about frequency effect on Common Mode rejection circuit. I think these two design may have some relation with it.

I also come to know about one good guide on Common mode rejection circuit. #-Link-Snipped-#
  • lexington
    lexington
    Thank you Harshad for the warm welcome and first to reply.

Very interesting article that you have gave me and yes I agree that Common mode noise does has relationship with the frequency range. I have read the link you have showed me and it does provide me understanding in the common mode noise.

Unfortunately, it did not provide any differences between the design as stated earlier or which is a better design. I thank you again for more help and advices. Thanks.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Designer Amy Radcliffe at Central Saint Martins has developed a novel way by which people may now preserve delights for their olfactory senses. She's created this awesome camera called 'Madeleine',...
Fritzing is an Opensource cross-platform Electronics prototyping software which all hobbyists,Electronics Engineers gonna love it. Using Fritzing you can create circuits & component diagrams for fast & rapid prototyping. There...
In Gujarat, I have read many news that thugs don't just steals the money from Automated Teller Machines but they just remove the entire machine from it's place & take...
The Linux Kernel 3.10 with Massive changes in over decade is finally been released yesterday(today) on 30th June 2013 (1st July 2013 IST) by Linus Torvalds. Linus was delaying the...
In India, in very huge amount power theft is done. So, government decided to replace Analog Power meters with Digital Power meters. However, after the replacement of Digital meters in...