QTP Basic tutorials-1 Record and playback

What is record and Play back in QTP?

Record and Playback is the very basic functionality of QTP.
Functional tools like QTP/Selenium have ability to record and playback the user actions.
Now what is recording?

Recording is something which records all the user actions (like clicking on button, clicking on link, entering data , closing browser etc..).
SO QTP has an ability to record all these kind of scenarios.

What is the use?

Nobody uses the framework called record and playback. Because its maintenance cost is high. We shall discuss about frameworks after couple of days in detail.

The usefulness of recording is –
1. We get the logical name of the object.
2. We get the class of the object if we are under confusion.
3. It gives the operation we perform clearly.
4. It helps in identifying the feasibility of automating the application.

There are many more feel free to add , I would also add if I get anything more.

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Lets discuss about the above 4 points mentioned in detail with examples:

Consider the Google classic home page.
    You find many things in the application, many links and two buttons submit and a text area where you enter the search criteria.

So when you enter somedata through recording mode in QTP , you get the following code in QTP.
    Browser(“Goolge”).Page(“Google”).WebEdit(“q”)
    May be hierarchy may include a frame as well , but I don’t remember.,
    So the names in the brackets are the logical names.

What is class? – Class is something like browser , page , webedit.
    There are some objects called webfiles , etc which are a bit special for automation.
    These objects can be identified using recording.

Operation-?

General operations like clicking , settting the data setting is called as entering.

What is Automation Feasibility?

Generally before performing complete automation on any application we generally do a feasibility study to check whether the application can be automated or not.
    If yes then how much percentage we can automate , are basic useful scenarios are covered or not etc.

The listed above are basic points in Recording.

Next playback:

This is generally to check whether the script recorded is successfully played back.
    Its just to check, we will be able to find few object properties which change dynamically.

If the object name changes dynamically , for example if you enter into any mail login page and login.
    Then you will see a text named welcome “XXYY” so this text keeps on changing with different users , so if we have a condition to check it our script will fail.
    For Identifying all these scenarios we use playback.

Script used in QTP – VBScript.

Please post your questions/suggestions in this thread about the topic and upcoming topics.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Nice information ....ES
    but it would be more easier for guys like me to understand this if you first explain
    what actually qtp is?
    Thanks
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    QTP is a functional testing tool.

Quick Test Professional!!

Just as of now just you remember QTP is a functional testing tool which we use for Automation Testing!

On learning few more concepts I will explain in detail about QTP.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Guys please post your questions (if any) in this thread.

This thread will be dedicated to the topic of only record and playback feature of QTP.

In a day or two I would post something on Data Driven Testing.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    English-Scared
    What is record and Play back in QTP?

Record and Playback is the very basic functionality of QTP.
    Functional tools like QTP/Selenium have ability to record and playback the user actions.
    Now what is recording?

Recording is something which records all the user actions (like clicking on button, clicking on link, entering data , closing browser etc..).
    SO QTP has an ability to record all these kind of scenarios.

What is the use?
    To add what ES was explaining for Record and Playback approach:
    Record and Play is one of the automation approaches which are mainly highlighted by the automation tool vendor, as this approach does not require the automation expertise. With this approach test automation kick-off in no time as it require no special automation expertise.

This approach follows a simple logic of recording user inputs, transactions, navigations and then replaying the entire recorded script to compare it against the actual screens. If tool experiences a change in the behavior of the recorded script and actual screen then it flags a deviation in the Test Log viewer.

-CB
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Scenarios where record sna playback works the best:
    1. When test scripts are to be used for a shorter duration, the longer use of these scripts would result huge amount of maintenance. This defeats the purpose of test automation.

2. This approach serves as an excellent automation approach where the project needs to execute the smoke test script for single release cycle.
    3. When automation tools used are intelligent enough to analyze the application under test and auto generate meaningful test data.
    4. When testing team doesn’t have the automation expertise and still automation is a mandatory requirement for the project. In this case team can kick off their automation using record and playback approach; however they face heavy maintenance work for the subsequent releases.
    5. If product life is very small and test scripts are to be scraped after few executions.
    6. Recording a test case is always good method to start developing a test script, and it should be taken just a kick-off aid to develop the code for a more powerful and reliable automation test suite.
    -CB

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can anybody tell me which OS is used in Spice, Max, Airfone, Karbonn & other low cost mobiles. ? Is it possible to upgrade this OS or no ? Many...
hey i'm a 2nd year mechanical student..but want to do a smester project in electronics...can anyone suggest!!!
want mechanical mini project in fabrication unit
There are various banking jargon we use in banking arena; do we all know the meaning of them. When I started to gain the knoweldge of banking there were 'n'...
1:-By default you can't change data members of a constant object.. But it can be made to do so... can you give me method? 2:-By default all the output in...