PS4's DualShock Controllers Could Have Sensed Your Sweaty Hands

In an interview with stuff.tv, PS4's lead architect Mark Cerny revealed that PS4 engineers trialled the sweat sensing (galvanic skin response) controllers. The idea was to determine how stressed the player is by measuring the amount of sweat on hands. The technique is similar to the technique used in lie-detectors. Cerny said that they had a long research project where they looked at almost every idea they could think of. The controller design team interacted with the game developers to know what they could use from the controller.

dualshock-controller

Unfortunately, the sweat/stress sensors didn't make it to the final version of the DualShock 4 controllers; it does feature a few cool things, like the touch-pad. The team decided to focus on the core gaming experience; mostly the first person shooters.

Cerny said that the modern controllers aren't optimised for first person shooting games. The team tested the throw of the triggers, their position, pressure these triggers can handle, the dead spot, convexity and concavity among several other things and the end result is 'extraordinarily natural'.

Cerny further mentioned that he hasn't heard a negative comment about the DualShock controllers yet. We'll find out more only on November 13th (hopefully).

Via: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    No matter how much they re-engineer the console's controllers, First person Shooter's gaming feeling in console will never be same as desktop gaming.
    FPS was created for Desktops.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I agree to #-Link-Snipped-# that there is no match for desktops to play shooter games with mouse and keyboard.
    Keyboard and mouse are the great consoles for pc gaming.Whether it may be COD or IGI or any shooter game try mouse+keyboard+headset>heavenly experience.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Are you guys serious? I mean - yeah, playing games with keyboard and mouse might be 'cool', but it's nowhere nearer to the experience offered by dedicated controllers. Plus, the technology like having sweat sensors has the potential to take the entire gaming experience way forward. Imagine, the character you are playing determines the course of action based on player's emotions, stress levels etc. That'd be totally awesome.

I'm quite sure that Sony will ultimately launch the upgraded controllers, maybe few years down the line. I'm looking for some kickass combination of motion sensors, sixaxis, accelerometers etc. to define the gaming experience. Sad that Sony didn't include it in the first 'gold' version of the controllers at the launch. That'd have been a sureshot killer!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Like I have said before too.
    For First person shooters, MMORPGs = PC
    For other games = Consoles.

No matter how much you debate on this topic, entire world has done research on this debate of "FPS games on PC versus FPS games on Consoles" & result clearly says that PC gamers can easily outperform console gamers in FPS genre in scoreboard.
    We're not talking about 'gaming experience', we're talking about 'gameplay experience'.

Why do you think there is no cross-platform where console gamers can multiplay with PC gamers ?
    eg : BF3 console gamers versus BF3 PC gamers.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Well the feel you get in PC while playing a first person Shooter is never replaced by console

I tried it in XBox360 V and still felt that my ancient Laptop had better feel while I played those games

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

"Innovation? My Ass!", said Apple's Phil Schiller and boy, the engineers at Apple are indeed working on something really awesome. A recently published patent application on USPTO official website reveals...
According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), an estimated 347 million people worldwide have diabetes. Patients have been using blood glucose monitoring devices to check whether they are in need...
For a life threatening disease like cancer precision and speed could mean the difference between life and death. In a regular tumour removal surgery like lumpectomy, patients have to spend...
I want to build my own application that will make it possible to send and receive files directly between computers on a LAN, but i don't know where to start...
Reliance Digital Sucks!​ Wrong corporate practices, the worst consumer support and service and the most pathetic brand you can ever imagine to buy even a single product is Reliance Digital....