Pronunciation

The words which we see need not be pronounced in the same manner.There may be any alphabet silent or its quite possible that the entire word is pronounced in totally different manner..So the thread z dedicated to all those words that are pronounced differently.

Here i enter one from my side:

entrepreneur pronounced as an-tre-pre-neur

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    'Resume'

Interesting thread !

There's one more, 'Resume'. It is pronounced as 'Rey-sue-may' and not 'rey-sue-um' as lot of us do.

Note that the word is written as resum茅 .

Hope it helps 馃榾

-The Big K-
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    "forte"

Yet another word - forte.

Lot of people pronounce it as for-tay. But the actual pronunciation is 'Fort'.

Forte is a French word meaning "strength".

Example: English is my forte. Note that this pronunciation is used when 'ability' is implied.

-The Big K-
  • aashima
    aashima
    my turn...

nice thread neha...

well i have a word 'schedule'
    its pronounced as " ske-dule' and not as 'shi-dule' at it formerly used to be pronounced...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    the Deutsche Bank ? ;-)

that's American's way of pronouncing 'Schedule'. You must have heard 'often' is pronounced as 'off-tan' while many pronounce it as 'off-un'.

Interestingly, not many of us knew that Deutsche is pronounced as 'Doi cha' or Doytch. 馃榾

-The Big K-
  • crook
    crook
    The_Big_K
    Interestingly, not many of us knew that Deutsche is pronounced as 'Doi cha' or Doytch. 馃榾

-The Big K-
    I did not know that. Thanks for the information !
  • Srikanth
    Srikanth
    Leme give u a word

Hi. I ve seen many ppl pronouncing fr the word "Director" as "Die - rector", but its a simple "D - rector"
  • crook
    crook
    Education

Lot of people pronounce 'education' as 'edge-yoo-cation'. I the correct way to pronounce is "ae-dew-kay-tion".

Pronunciation does not matter as long as the listener understands what you are saying 馃槈

Crook
  • aashima
    aashima
    me too...

well here 's another concept...

we generally pronounce words like comment as " ka-ment" and colleague as " ka-leeg"....
    the correct way of pronouncing these words though is "kau-ment" and "kau-leeg"

so... any comments 馃槈 馃槈
  • Neha
    Neha
    EXTEMPORE

its actually pronounced as "extempree"

The word means speak,perform without preparation馃槑
  • virenjpatel
    virenjpatel
    nice blog to learn, nicer portal though

this is my first message.
    its nice to have all engineers and only engineers interacting.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    One more word

Hello Viraj

Welcome aboard.

guys, lets learn another word: "Rendezvous"

the correct pronunciation is known to most of us (thanx to Simi Garewal)

Its "R贸ndi`voo"
  • aashima
    aashima
    mayurpathak
    Hello Viraj

Welcome aboard.

guys, lets learn another word: "Rendezvous"

the correct pronunciation is known to most of us (thanx to Simi Garewal)

Its "R贸ndi`voo"
    Adding a little more light to it, "Rendezvous" is a french word meaning "Conversation". In french, "..vous" is pronounced as "...voo".
    A similar french word is "Enchante" pronounced as "Enshaunt" and it means "Celebration".
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    another one

Next word, commonly mistaken by most of us

"Chaos"

its pronunced as "Key贸s"

keep posting... enjoy

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi there ! I suggest that we should have an articles section on our beloved forum. It could become a part of General Discussions. I got this idea because I...
Hello all CEans! Idea for this thread comes from what I saw on microsoft download center. I tried to download internet explorer latest beta and I was prompted to install...
So you always envied your colleague who types without looking at the keyboard? You always thought life would have been much better if you had joined a typing class. You...
One method i explain with my post ..multiplication of two digit number... Another method... take square of digits having 5 in end... 35^2=1225 75^2=5625 195^2=38025 Got any clue... here clue...
Those remote controlled aero-models have always been my fascination. I have been dreaming of building an R/C glider myself, but didn't know how 馃槙 . I'd like to know if...