Project: Creation of resume template for graduating students

All regular CEans,

While our other CE Projects are dormant :sleeping: , let's work on this small but very useful project.

Problem: Lot of graduating students are clueless about the resume format. As a result, most of them create very unprofessional resume.

Aim: To come up with a resume template for our members who are in the final year of their engineering studies. We will then distribute the template as a PDF through CE Forums. End users will be able to copy the format and put their own data into the fields.

Procedure: All our active members will brainstorm on the fields we should incorporate in our resume template for graduating students. We will identify common fields and include them in our resume template. We will also come up with suggestions/guidelines for each field so that the whole job of creating resume is simplified for end users.

Schedule: The whole project should be complete in not more than 3 days time, starting now [ 16 October, 2008, 4:00 pm ]

Notes: Let us aim for a resume which can be formatted in plain text. So no tables, images et al. [​IMG] This whole project looks very easy, but I bet this is going to be very useful.

How to get started: We will wait for someone among us to post a template for all of us to get started. If we do not get anything for next 4-5 hours, I'll do the needful.

Let's get started!

Replies

• Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Here is the first one. Name and other details are arbitrary.

Abhay Kumar

Objective: To grow in an organization that gives me opportunities to explore my creativity, allow me to contribute value and win over the challenges thrown at me.
    Education:Bachelor of Engineering (Electronics), Sardar Patel COE, Mumbai
    Work Ex:
    (If any) Skip this if not applicable

Experience snapshot:
    Currently working as with , say TCS, Mumbai since . Job responsibilities include-

4.... So on

Educational Background:

Project Details:
    Xerox India ltd.

Activities:
    Advantages
    My value addition

Technical Skills:
    1., ,
    Other Skills:

Awards and Achievements:

Personal Information:

Date of Birth: 8th March 1987

Languages Known: English, Hindi, Marathi, Malay, German, Arabic, Urdu...

Marital Status: Single/Married

Permanent Address: XYZ Complex
    ABC road,
    PQR Colony,
    Mumbai – 400 012
    Ph.: 022 - 21234567

Passport: Available. Number can be provided on request.

Reference: Can be provided on request.

Looks good?

• Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Ya folks, forgot to add. The template above is my original copy right. So in case any body chooses to copy it as it is, please pay me a royalty. ;-)

PS: Lets start brainstorming on the template sections now.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    It's nice and simple...

Hey Mayur.. go through the thread resume formatting in carrers...😀 its on kinda same lines..

and yup passport is imp..Donot know when you will be asked to go onsite!!! 😁
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    *tries new font*

The template above is my original copy right.
    So, its a copy, right? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Anyway! Guys, you are too fast !

To begin with, the resume template is specifically being made for the graduating students. So the 'project' or 'professional experience' fields are out of question. We may list a field for college projects 😉 Also, I don't think anyone asks for 'reference' at entry level.

These are my initial comments after looking at the template. Let's build on it now!

• Differential
    Differential
    Could it have the following fields
    a) Last Year Project Details
    b) Last Year Seminar details
    c) Extra Curriculam Activities done
    d) Vacational Industrial Training attended
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yep, those are very important fields. Can we club (a,b) & (c,d) ?

Expect my detailed post very soon.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    The_Big_K

To begin with, the resume template is specifically being made for the graduating students. So the 'project' or 'professional experience' fields are out of question. We may list a field for college projects 😉 Also, I don't think anyone asks for 'reference' at entry level.

These are my initial comments after looking at the template. Let's build on it now!

Biggie! A project is A PROJECT. Now you do it for your final year engineering or for a company, it shouldn't matter. It helps you to highlight your capabilities and your experience/exposure to a particular technology.

References, well It can be removed. But believe me, these days (with all the terror attacks happening) reference checks are mandatory.

Vocational training is important. Good Point.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Okay, I have collected best points from your posts and also picked up few from my own experience of interviewing graduate engineers 😀 . Here's what I have come up with -

Date of birth: MM-DD, YYY (Ex: November 26, 1986)

Address: A – 123, BCD, EFG Road, IJK, , , -

Note: Make sure that your address does not extend beyond one line.

Note: Get a better email address for yourself. Do NOT have email addresses like #-Link-Snipped-#. Try to get a professional looking (Ex.: #-Link-Snipped-#) email ID. Enter the phone number in readable format. That is, instead of +911234567890, write +91-1234-567-890.

Objective:

To grow in an organization that gives me opportunities to explore my creativity, allow me to contribute value and win over the challenges thrown at me.

Key Skills:

Education: (Note: Always in reverse chronological order!)

2003 – 2007 : B.E/B.Tech | | Institute/University Name | GPA/Percentage.

2001 – 2003 :

Awards & Certifications:

(Note: Mention, only if worth mentioning)

Projects, Paper Presentations & Seminars

Title:

Role: < Programmer, Animator, Circuit Designer etc.>

About project:

[Optional] Hobbies & Interests

(Note: Be careful. Don’t include this field unless you have hobbies & interests. Ex: If your reading has not gone beyond Chetan Bhagat’s book(s), do not write ‘reading’ as your hobby. If you do not have anything worth mentioning, start being active on CrazyEngineers and mention that you are an active participant in technical discussion forum, CrazyEngineers. Chances are that your interviewer is our member!)

Date:
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I shall be releasing the template for download (probably in next few hours).
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Cool. Why not make a 'real' resume and post it here? Template looks kinda boring.

PS: Watermark it buddy. ;-)
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Oh yes, I'm in the process of creating a resume. I'm posting it on CE and making it available for downloading. It will be appropriately watermarked and branded 😁
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The CE Resume template will go live as soon as we get a 'go' from our editor in chief

Countdown begins! 10 .. 9 .. 8 ..
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Flagged! *waving*

Template is perfect. Go ahead 😁

CEans getting jobs using this template should treat us
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Here we go

Download from following location [​IMG]

Click ->
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    techfreak!
    That was good and helpful..Thanks seniors!
    You are welcome. Now let some one post a REAL resume here. Can you start by being the first one?
  • birundha
    birundha
    thank you seniors.. quite helpful.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Details related to the skills and certifications would do... Also, to prove them, the related project experience could be added to them... 😀
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    The_Big_K
    Here we go

Click ->
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Nice template to start with bro! 😀
  • Evon Barry
    Evon Barry
    This information is good but also provide here some resume examples, samples, formats etc. so it will be looking great here.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Evon Barry
    This information is good but also provide here some resume examples, samples, formats etc. so it will be looking great here.
    Sure. We created a resume template already. We hope to update it in coming days.
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    The_Big_K
    Here we go

Click ->
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    "hobbies" Idea in the resume is an awesome tip. 😀
  • Evon Barry
    Evon Barry
    For that you need to some tips for how to ad template also keep in touch of professionals so you will get perfect template.
  • heather
    heather
    I don't know if that download is legit, it may be.
    I think it would be easier to just make a resume using a resume creator like resumizer.com to be sure everything is proper.
    It is free anyway so what's the difference?
  • ankur8819
    ankur8819
    Adding a point if not already discussed .
    Create a computer-friendly resume copy in a word format (.doc) that can be easily e-mailed or uploaded to a resume database. Avoid graphics and templates as they often interfere with search capacities within electronic data bases. Source:- HRD(Infosys)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, I am sorry if this thread looks irrelevant, Ive asked this query on various forums but found no answers. Moreover I couldnt find proper laptop query forums which answer...
Hi All, I guess we have openings for TELECOM DOMAIN. Requirements: Integration Engineers Experince 2-6 yrs Location:Bangalore Skills:C++ on Symbian and synergy TELECOM EXPERINCE:2-8 years work location:hyderabad/bangalore Roles:TM,PL,PM, Solution Architects,Domina...
The idea has just popped up in my head and I want to share it with you. Like all of you, I hate to sit idle while my computer boots....
I remember, in 2003, Infosys recruitment procedure revolved a lot around solving analytical/aptitude questions & puzzles. Candidates successful in written test were asked to appear for personal interview. If we...
mine is multi os...i repaired my xp... so my vista gone .... but i did't delete the system files yet so tell me how to enable my vista...................;-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);