Problems Adding values into an MS SQL table Via VB.Net

Hi all,
I had originally installed MS SQL Server 2008 R2 in my C: when I was developing the application. While I had the SQL DErver in my C:, everything was fine, no problems at all. Then I began getting low disc space messages, so I uninstalled it from my C: and Installed it in a new external hard drive. But then I started having problems adding values in on field of a table.
SPECIFICS:
The application in concern is an application that has a table named Users that is the cause of my trouble. It has 3 fields, of which the application can update 2 faultlessly. It's a field called Access_Level that is having trouble getting valuse added to it. Whatever choice I enter in the form, the field only gets "0" as the value, which is not even in the list of choices! I would welcome help on determining why this happens, and how to get the table to take the value I want it to!!

CODE SNIPPETS:

FORM:

Public Class AddUser
    Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
    Dim Acc_Lvl, done As Integer
    Dim user, passwd, var As String
    passwd = ""
    user = NameBox.Text
    If (String.Compare(PassBox.Text, PassBox2.Text)) = 0 Then
    passwd = PassBox.Text
    var = ListBox1.SelectedItem
    Select Case var
    Case "Level 1 ( ACCESS EVERYTHING)"
    Acc_Lvl = 1
    Case "Level 2 (CAN NOT ADD AND DELETE USER)"
    Acc_Lvl = 2
    Case "Level3 (CAN ONLY USE THE ORDERS PAGE AND VIEW THE BILLS)"
    Acc_Lvl = 3
    End Select
    done = AddUserFun(user, passwd, Acc_Lvl)
    If (done = 1) Then
    MsgBox("User creation encountered an error")
    Else
    MsgBox("User Created")
    End If
    Else
    MsgBox("Password and Re Enter password fields don't match")
    End If
    End Sub
    Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
    Me.Hide()
    Opening_Form.Show()
    End Sub
    End Class

AddUserFun Function:

Function AddUserFun(ByVal user, ByVal pass, ByVal acclvl) As Integer
Dim i As Integer
Try
Dim conn As New SqlClient.SqlConnection("server=THE-507FC9ABDEB;uid=indrajeet6;pwd=Indrani7&;database=VBDB")
Dim addusr As New SqlClient.SqlCommand
addusr.CommandText = "INSERT INTO dbo.Users VALUES('" & user & "','" & pass & "','" & acclvl & "')"
addusr.CommandType = CommandType.Text
addusr.Connection = conn
conn.Open()
addusr.ExecuteNonQuery()
conn.Close()
Catch ex As Exception
MsgBox(ex.Message)
i = 1
End Try
i = 0
Return i
End Function

I have the SQL Generated Script fo the database generation also, if needed. The basic thing is that the table is defined As Follows:

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Users](
    [Username] [varchar](50) NOT NULL,
    [Password] [varchar](50) NOT NULL,
    [Access_Level] [int] NOT NULL
    ) ON [PRIMARY]
    GO

Replies

• Indrajeet Roy
    Indrajeet Roy
    Any one? Please? This is an important question I need the answer to.
  • Indrajeet Roy
    Indrajeet Roy
    Hi Reverend Jim and Icone, I solved the problem. The issue was a basic lack of understanding the difference between the ListBox ( What I had Used ) and a Drop Box (What I intended to use). What was happening was that I'd set the size of the list box to show only one item. I would Navigate to the Access Level I wanted by the scrolling Arrows, but not select anything, believing that since it was showing, I'd selected it. It was resolved by way of the following #-Link-Snipped-#. Check it out, all you VB.Net wannabe's!! (That includes me as a wannabe too!)😁

Thanks for your help guys, and I will have to make it that if the user makes this kind of error, the error is caught and explained to the user!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi guys i need to know about which one is better working as a client side or as a programmer
synchronous machine runs at constant speed. why?
can any one here tell me if I want to study interior design engineering what should I do ???
what is the most economical section of channels
What is the difference between Computer Architecture and Instruction Set Architecture??