CrazyEngineers
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorOct 16, 2008

Frankly speaking, I do not understand your question. Before I write further, may I request you to pay attention to formatting of your posts?

Could you tell us how you repaired XP? What was the problem you were facing with XP?
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • prabhat kumar

MemberOct 16, 2008

now repair vista then enable xp ok sorry bt write in more detail.
    Cancel
  • eshoo

MemberOct 17, 2008

my pc is multi os .... i had some problem before so i repaired my xp using botable cd....now i don't have any problem with my xp... but now my system become single os... xp rewrite the boot record....so please tell me how will i get vista back(with out installing again)??????
    Cancel
  • komputergeek

MemberOct 21, 2008

Boot from windows xp cd and try using fixmbr command in recovery console.
    I dont know exact syntax.
    Cancel
  • sriramchandrk

MemberOct 21, 2008

Hi,

Since the way XP writing the boot information and Vista writing the boot info is different. We cannot use XP fixmbr to fix this problem.
    We need to use some bootmgr application which understands both Vista as well as XP formats.

I have taken the required section for fixing this from #-Link-Snipped-#

Download and install VistaBootPRO. Make sure you follow the prompt to install .Net Framework 2.00 as VistaBootPRO will not run without it.

Open VistaBootPRO, ignore the prompt to backup your BCD. Go to the System Bootloader tab, select "Windows Vista Bootloader" in the first section and "All Drives" in the second section and then click Install Bootloader . Next, go to the Diagnostics item on the menu bar and select "Run Diagnostics". VistaBootPRO will default back to the Manage OS Entries page and you will see that you now have entries there for "Earlier versions of Windows" as well as "Microsoft Windows Vista".

Install the Vista bootloader
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Restart your system and select the operating system you would like to boot to.

The Vista dual-boot menu
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Thanks & Regards
    Sriram
    Cancel
  • Ashraf HZ

MemberOct 22, 2008

Thanks for the post, Sriram 😀

Another way to do it is booting with the Vista DVD (if you still have it). There is an option to "fix" the boot manager of Vista.
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register