Printed Circuit Board (PCB) for a CubeSat mini satellite

Printed Circuit Board (PCB) for a CubeSat, one kg, one cubic decimeter demonstrative satellite -------- I have to make the double sided PCB of a #-Link-Snipped-# similar to #-Link-Snipped-#. Question:Is it possible to fabricate the PCB home using the photoresist method or the components are too tiny and traces too thin for this method to work (see the pdf file in the link, it contains a list with all the packages used)? PS: I would appreciate answers especially from people with real hands-on experience in making high quality home made PCBs, not from individuals having just theoretical knowledge.

Replies

• scarydesign
    scarydesign
    I've been designing printed circuit boards for over 30 years. I've done the "quick" photoresist as you mention as well as production million+ pcbs. I think the first thing you have overlooked is this is a double-sided PCB. As such vias from one side to the other are very hard to do (you can make the vias bigger, insert a wire and solder from both sides) but the bottom line is you are better off using a PCB house and have the boards made. If the Gerber files are available this is a very easy task. There are so many places that will make one or two boards now for around $100 US I wouldn't waste the time to try it yourself.
    Good luck.
    Mike T.
  • sonomer
    sonomer
    Unfortunately, I have to design and redesign, many times, a number of at least six #-Link-Snipped-#. Ordering, each time, a 100$ PCB to a manufacturer will run me into expenses of thousands of dollars and delays of one year or more which I can not afford.
    The last step will be "six professional printed boards made by a PCB house", all of them in the same time, only one order. For prototypes however, I have to manage using photo resist.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have to realize a cubical rigid aluminum structure, roughly 10 cm x 10 cm x10 cm like this cubesat chassis. For PCBs, I know that there are manufacturers where...
I noticed something very interesting today in my Gmail inbox (Google Apps mailbox, actually). I was looking at a press release by a company and I stumbled upon something I...
Hey all i'm an intern and I have to put some 260 hard points into ANSYS and I just don't have the time to do it manually as I have...
Facebook has opened a shop in Mumbai, India. The world’s largest network founded by Mark Zuckerberg is expanding its reach offline and as a first step, they have opened a...
Does anybody knows how the term 'Bug' was coined?It is in reference to computers.Understand?I will be requiring some funniest answers.Come on buck up then...