Practical applications of engineering mathematics

wer in practical life r ve gonna apply d concepts in eng maths???
may b simple maths is applicable .wat is d use ?? is it simply tat a engineer shud study these concepts or is he gonna apply all these in his working area???

Replies

• andenagaveni24
    andenagaveni24
    @vivekanandan: hey my sincere request to you please dont use texting type of shortforms here...do type completely it will take not more than 5 sec...
    what ever we learn during our study is applied in some or the other area ....especially maths is very applicable subject in real life....be it geometry or probability or simple calculations...
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I graduated in 1960. I still actively use in daily design work the engineering calculations I learnt as a student. There is an added benefit if you do this. You can postpone dementia in your old age.
  • m.vivekanandan
    m.vivekanandan
    @andenagaveni-i will make sure that here after i will not use shortforms..
  • m.vivekanandan
    m.vivekanandan
    @#-Link-Snipped-# may be i will knowing the of it in future...
  • Kedar Malwadkar
    Kedar Malwadkar
    m.vivekanandan
    wer in practical life r ve gonna apply d concepts in eng maths???
    may b simple maths is applicable .wat is d use ?? is it simply tat a engineer shud study these concepts or is he gonna apply all these in his working area???
    Dude, i don't know in which tear now you are studying but i can tell you you are going to need the "integration and derivatives" not only next years but for your whole life!!!

Do math and you can do anything.
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    lol, Mathematics was originally developed for applying it usefully only(in my point of view)....! But,nowadays mathematics is not learnt how it was meant to be learnt...! Nowadays mathematics is becoming synonymous to the word "LOGIC" among students(mostly engineering)...! we are taught a certain logic and are asked to proceed in such a way to arrive at a point...! we seldom seem to go in depth in that...! Im dead sure that most of the engineering students(including me) know the definition of Laplace and fourier transforms but do not know why it is defined in such a way...! Yes, mathematics will help you in future to perform calculations(as bioramani sir quoted)...!! General mathematics must be with you forever..!!
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    You need to know matrices and determinants.

in electrical engineering you will need matrices to solve problems in mesh analysis.

Matrices are used extensively in Finite element methods.
  • KenJackson
    KenJackson
    Does your job count as "practical life"? In one of the most mathematically intense jobs I have had, I worked on two projects that made heavy use of my college math.

One project ran the three power lines of a three-phase motor through series transformers such that a voltage could be added or subtracted from the supply voltage to reduce the motor's physical vibration harmonics. This was completed and delivered to the customer. They needed a very, very smooth running motor. I can't say it was my baby, but I did help with the coding.

The other was even more bold. They were attempting to pick the voltages off of a three-phase input to generate a virtual DC bus, and then switch the DC bus to produce a variable speed three-phase output. Thus they would have a variable speed, three-phase motor controller with no transformer. I again helped with it, but my computer tools were extremely inadequate and I left before the project was done and never heard if it succeeded.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Yesterday I got selected in Infosys. Their process of selection was simple - Reasoning Test, English Test, Interview The Reasoning test consisted of 30 questions to be solved in 40...
Hello Crazy Engineers.. I'm planning to design a Wheelchair controlled by a remote wirelessly. 1. What are the Parameters should i be aware of? 2. If I'm going to stimulate...
New nanostructured glass for imaging and recording :: University of Southampton
National Geographic Live! Now Streaming on FORA.tv
Hi dis is Pooja. .😀 m doing my final yr computer science. so i request anyone to suggest a project on networks or web. . plz do help me. ....