Power factor corrections!!

Dear Engineer;

Actually i was working on installing a power factor correcting on a factory and i heard an info i just want to confirm it:
We all know that power factor correcting panels reduces the Kvar. and you get some discounts on the bill
What I heard is that with each 1 Kvar u SAVE, 10 Watta increases in ur consumption. Which means reducing Kvar will increase ur Watta which results a higher bill..but with the discounts u gain ...the bill will be approximately the same...

What do u think?

Replies

• aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Dear therealabdo,
    Please view the following links.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Now to use Crazy engineers forum more efficiently, please search the relevant topics in the forum using the search option(Right side top) related to your query. If and only if you do not get answers from any topic in here, or if you do not get any topic relevant to your query, you are very much welcome to post it as a thread. I personally appreciate your enthusiasm to know more, but please lets eliminate unnecessary threads.
    Thank you for your participation. Thank you for asking. Hope you get your answers through the above links.
    Thank you.
  • therealabdo
    therealabdo
    Actually i have read the links u have posted before..They contain no relative issues to what i have asked... expect that "P.F.C panels don't affect the Kw" but this is from the prospective of SAVING...not more consumption!!!It is like the power needed to make the capacitors WORK!!!
    my question is more specific than the general info included in the links
  • Arp
    Arp
    according to me, for a small firm if you install pfc they are nothing but synchronous phase modifiers so if u designing a small kvar compensation then that may prove costly to you as with less kvar compensation either complex power compensation less or a less capacity pfc is installed. in both way u r not going to earn as either not much penalty removed or consumption is so low then with poor pf its ok.
    so i suppose pfc should be installed only after a certain consumption point of view..
    no doubt , distribution company is advantageous with pfc installed by you but you may not.
    search for some ieee standard data that let u know about after how much u should install it??
    i'll also try... let u know if i get.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    therealabdo
    Dear Engineer;

Actually i was working on installing a power factor correcting on a factory and i heard an info i just want to confirm it:
    We all know that power factor correcting panels reduces the Kvar. and you get some discounts on the bill
    What I heard is that with each 1 Kvar u SAVE, 10 Watta increases in ur consumption. Which means reducing Kvar will increase ur Watta which results a higher bill..but with the discounts u gain ...the bill will be approximately the same...

What do u think?
    Now, if you do not decrease your kVAr, The generating station which you are connected to will incur a lot of losses. The theory is given somewhere in the above links. Its not just about the losses. To make the same kWh, if the consumer is using a lagging load, the generating station will have to pump in a lot of kVAr. As your billing is done only on kWh, you will never know about the amount of kVAr the gen station is shedding to give you that much kWh. Sometimes, the high amount of kVAr will cause damage to the gen station. So, to minimise all this, they give discounts if you help them get the power factor maintained near to 1, that is, consume less kVAr. Hope you understand this one. Any doubt, please do ask.
    Thank you.
  • therealabdo
    therealabdo
    so i understand that capacitors may cause LOOSES..which will increase somehow the Kwh.
    Anyway why do governments obligate us to install such panels...is it safer for its stations?less consumption?why do they offer discounts?
    i believe that governments need these panels installed...not an option
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    therealabdo
    so i understand that capacitors may cause LOOSES..which will increase somehow the Kwh.
    Anyway why do governments obligate us to install such panels...is it safer for its stations?less consumption?why do they offer discounts?
    i believe that governments need these panels installed...not an option
    Its not the government that needs the panels to be installed, please read my previous post carefully. It is the generating stations which require you to install them. The capacitors do not cause any losses. It improves the quality of the power. A lagging power factor will lead to heating up of the wires and degrading of the insulators in your factory. So, when you are using the panel, you are fully utilising the total power coming in by converting the reactive power (kVA)into active power (kWh). Our equipments can use only kWh. If the power factor is 1, then that means we are utilizing all the power coming into our installation, in the most efficient manner, that is, in kWh.
    Hope you understood this. Please do ask if you have any doubts.
  • therealabdo
    therealabdo
    really thnx ...I am getting the picture ๐Ÿ˜€
    thank you again for ur reply...if I have anything further i won't hesitate to ask

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Samsung has updated the website Something big is coming and says something 'BIG' is coming on February 13, 2011. It's being guessed that it's either the next Samsung Galaxy S2...
i am doing a robot and one part of it is an electromagnet meant for lifting ferromagnetic materials and dropping it at some other place, and for this i decided...
respected friends, please sent me the papers related to renewable energy mostly using renewable waste
helllow friends, ๐Ÿ˜Ž i'm a BCA Student, here 2 learn frm u all, making friends........so plzz add me ๐Ÿ˜Ž ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ Glad 2 join here ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
hello guys, need ur help ๐Ÿ˜• , i'm learning javascript, so 2 learn it in bttr way i hv want 2 make small projects or Applications, if u have any...