Plz help me about equipment selection in Sub station

Hello all,

I have just joined crazy engineers.

Guys can anybody tell me in any substation what are the factors or steps for selection of any equipment like Circuit Breaker, islolator etc..

For example: There is 3 phase transformer the rating is 15 MVA, 33 kV / 440 V, Percentage impedence is 0.5 %. Then what is the rating of Circuit Breaker to be used for this. Plz if possible give formula and steps. Can assume any data if required. Also plz suggest any web about this.

I need it urgently....plz help me......

Thanks...

Rohan....😀

Replies

• sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    hey give me 2 days, i will get the details for you..
  • Chandrakiran
    Chandrakiran
    Rating of electrical equipment:
    Power rating: Power rating of the electrical equipment (say) transformer, circuit breaker depends on the power it is handled during normal operation of the equipment. It will be normal to 35MVA, 70MVA, generation transformer near 500mW generator will be 600MVA.
    Short circuit rating: All the equipments are designed to withstand the 3 phase short circuits. So the design of circuit breakers, isolators will be in the range of 20kA, 40kA. It has to withstand the short circuit for 1sec before the relay operates ans isolates the fault.
    Importance of impedance during short circuit: During short circuit all the motors (Induction motors, synchronous motors..), generators, capacitors connected in the power system feed the fault (its reason for such large short circuit current ) and impedance such as transformer impedance, static loads connected and cables reduces the short circuit current. So while designing transformer impedance is an important factor to limit the short circuit current. Too much impedance on the other hand results in voltage drop in normal operating condition. So an optimum Z value is chosen for transformer while designing. I hope this helps to understand up to some extent.... Thankyou
  • maraitamilan
    maraitamilan
    Circuit breaker is a device for interrupting circuits under fault or needed conditions. It depends on the momentary and interrupting duties

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Saturday November 17, 2007 Firefox users: Beware of Gmail XSS Attack An exploit for Firefox, reported 10 days ago and as of yet still not patched, is giving attackers access...
i would like to suggest that you could create sub sections inside "Computers/IT" . these subsections could be like 1) hardware 2) programming 3) troubleshooting 4) operating systems etc.
😁CAN U TELL ME WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BTWEEN "HARD BREAK" N "SOFT BREAK" IN MS-WORD...........😕 I'M CRAZY ABOUT IT????????????? PLEAEEEEEEEESE..............
hey _k when do u upgrade a guy from newbie to value adder and a regular and such stuff?? pls inform me about ur criteria...haha
hey CEans, i have recently got a new Seagate 160GB hdd and 512MB RAM. Am loving my PC these days but there is a little trouble. At the time of...