Please Advice .. Could I pursue M.Sc degree ?

Hello Everybody

I'm holding B.Sc in Electrical Engineering since 2000 , and I've 9 years experience as a Telecom Engineer , 7 of them were in O&M and the last two years are in Project management .

I'm 32 years old now , and I'm so interested to continue my high education in Uk or USA . Consequently, I need to retire from my current job.
I have a Family and three children . My worried is after taking the master degree could I get a good job ?

The program that's I'm interested in is M.Sc of Project Management or M.Sc of Engineering Management .

Your advices and Opinions will help me

Thanks in advance

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Hi Lucent if you are interested in M.Sc of Project Management its better you could purse MBA in project management.
    As you have 9 years of experience you can pursue executive programmes in IIms and ISB (these are based in India).
    many bschools will have executive programmes for experiences professionals.

As you got good experience gettting job after your break will not be a difficult task for sure!!!

All the best!!

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Welcome to CE, Lucent!

Use your work experience to your advantage. The economy is improving now and two - three years from now, I don't see any problem you getting a better job.

I always recommend opting for a sabbatical for higher education. Have you checked with your current employer's HR department? Most of the companies do let their employees take two year unpaid leave. You can always resign once you get a better job. However, do check your company policy.
  • Lucent
    Lucent
    English-Scared
    Hi Lucent if you are interested in M.Sc of Project Management its better you could purse MBA in project management.
    As you have 9 years of experience you can pursue executive programmes in IIms and ISB (these are based in India).
    many bschools will have executive programmes for experiences professionals.

As you got good experience gettting job after your break will not be a difficult task for sure!!!

All the best!!
    Hi English-Scared

MBA is for business and will shift my career away from engineering , while engineering management or project management is in the middle between engineering and management , or we can say it is management by engineering mentality . This how I visualize this matter , correct me if I'm wrong .

Thanks & Regards
  • Lucent
    Lucent
    The_Big_K
    Welcome to CE, Lucent!

Use your work experience to your advantage. The economy is improving now and two - three years from now, I don't see any problem you getting a better job.

I always recommend opting for a sabbatical for higher education. Have you checked with your current employer's HR department? Most of the companies do let their employees take two year unpaid leave. You can always resign once you get a better job. However, do check your company policy.
    Hi The_Big_K

My company does not give unpaid leave which is shame for a semi-govermental company ( Saudi Electricity Company ) .

When you said the economy is growing , do you mean world wide , or in your region ? ( I realised that this site is originaly Indian and consequently I expect that most of members are Indians )

Thanks & Regards
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Lucent
    Hi English-Scared

MBA is for business and will shift my career away from engineering , while engineering management or project management is in the middle between engineering and management , or we can say it is management by engineering mentality . This how I visualize this matter , correct me if I'm wrong .

Thanks & Regards
    An engineer will manage with engineer-mentality, for sure 😀

It would be advisable to pay attention to course contents before you make a decision. I believe you already have fair amount of exposure to project management.

The course you are interested seems to be perfect. Have you explored the option of working for a startup than opting for MBA? I can't comment on risks involved in working for a startup; but it will definitely expose you to more knowledge that what you'd gain in any school
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Lucent
    Hi The_Big_K

My company does not give unpaid leave which is shame for a semi-govermental company ( Saudi Electricity Company ) .

When you said the economy is growing , do you mean world wide , or in your region ? ( I realised that this site is originaly Indian and consequently I expect that most of members are Indians )

Thanks & Regards
    This site is not Indian. India produces engineers in bulk and that's why most of our members are from India.

The economy is growing pan world. No matter where you are (US,UK) you can definitely expect lot of opportunities. Look at the economic trends, you'd find that the current economic recession was very well expected. The next would come years later.

Lately, its impossible to predict whether you will get a job or not. It depends on many factors. However, you can wisely choose the country, college for your post-grad studies to make sure your chances of getting a job are good.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CrazyBoy is back with the mind boggling quizs. This time we would be playing this quiz with a wider specturm. In this thread I will not be asking questions related...
Its since long, no competition is organised at CE. We were planning to organise a event in Sept, however due to site maintnance and other tasks we couldn't start with...
Since last 6-7 years, I am observing a trend, "No matter from which branch student completes his/her technical education (Engineering), he/she want a job in IT industry due to facinating...
The term "virtualization" was coined in the 1960s, to refer to a virtual machine (sometimes called pseudo machine). The very first Implementation of Virtualization was being done before 30 years...
As we all know CAT 2009 is online this time. This thread is dedicated to the CAT 2009 takers. Please share your preprations / methods of preprations for the CAT...