Plastic Trash To Fuel: From The Labs of UC Irvine - The Innovation That Our World Needs

As the world faces a severe problem of plastic (polyethylene) overdose, the synthetic polymer is getting increasingly difficult to degrade thanks to its chemically inert nature. A team of researchers from University of California, Irvine and Chinese Academy of Sciences working on the problem of converting the piling plastic trash to something useful seems to have found a solution. They have come up with a new method that can convert plastic into liquid fuels and waxes by using the easily available short alkanes such as petroleum ethers.

As we see garbage bins and landfills all around us overflowing with plastic trash - the left-over bottles, polythene bags, plastic films etc., the time has come to recycle it. In fact, we need to convert the overgrowing waste into something of real value. And what better than liquid fuel, the material suffering from shortage across nations.

All existing methods to convert plastics, especially polyethylene, into fuel have proven to be either very expensive or non-scalable.

plastic-waste-irvine

The new method created by the team involves mixing plastics with an organometallic catalyst (doped with metal iridium), a process that breaks the strong bonds in plastic, makes them weak, to create a diesel-like fuel. The researchers claim that the fuel created this way could power vehicles and other motors in use today.

The goal of the team is to make the ratio of plastic to catalyst as 10,000:1, while what they have currently achieved is ~ 30:1. They also hope to replace iridium as the catalyst with something more abundantly available and inexpensive.

What are your thoughts about creating fuel from plastic? Share with us in comments below.

Source: UC Irvine chemists help find way to recycle plastic waste into fuel | University of California | #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Mrs. Alka Zadgaonkar's innovation comes to mind. She invented the process a long time ago. Did we finally get around to getting her to talk on CE?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The mystical bizarre movement of outside existence has failed to sync with Betty’s mind. She is perplexed, beyond which she can ever think of, and has reached the point where...
The engineering heads at the leading electronics manufacturers seem to obsessed with producing the thinnest electronic gadgets. The latest one to claim the title of World's Thinnest Laptop is HP...
sir, i have a small Developing firm and used to develop using VB6 but problem is that my client now wants to get remotely access their business trend using both...
Hello Guys Good Afternoon, I m new in these forum. These forum is marvelous platform to discuss and get some suggestions on various topics and difficulties. We are manufacturing ring...
Hi, I'm new here i wanna ask where i can put signature, i searched all settings but cant find there. so anyone tell me when will be signature allow.